Late to the party

Woofers and Tweeters

Because it's illegal here, anyone who wants fireworks goes to a neighboring state to buy the good ones. Because of that, we miss out on money staying local and, maybe, some money coming in from other states.  It's going to be the same loss of opportunity and revenue when it comes to the medical and recreational use of a weed. Kentucky will miss out on being first to market in this area.

Will your state be late to the party?

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Weber said:

Because it's illegal here, anyone who wants fireworks goes to a neighboring state to buy the good ones. Because of that, we miss out on money staying local and, maybe, some money coming in from other states.  It's going to be the same loss of opportunity and revenue when it comes to the medical and recreational use of a weed. Kentucky will miss out on being first to market in this area.

I would think there is a different dynamic going on in Kentucky.  The Bourbon makers may be heavily opposed to it.

• Like 2

There is far more to this issue than just revenue and taxes.  I am not advocating one way or the other (on this subject, in public), but there is significant oppostion from conservatives, older folks, the alcohol industry and others.  I find it somewhat similar to the gambling industry moving into state by state, slowly but surely making inroads.  It's an interesting phenomenon.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

There is far more to this issue than just revenue and taxes.  I am not advocating one way or the other (on this subject, in public), but there is significant oppostion from conservatives, older folks, the alcohol industry and others.  I find it somewhat similar to the gambling industry moving into state by state, slowly but surely making inroads.  It's an interesting phenomenon.

Don't forget Big Pharma...

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Weber said:

The horse industry didn't like other gamboling coming in either. 

That is what prompted me to think there might be something going on differently there than other places.  I remember they wanted to slice a very narrow exception for para-mutual betting.

It will be interesting to see what Arkansas does on it. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2016 at 9:17 PM, jimjimbo said:

I am not advocating one way or the other

I am and I don't partake. The legal system makes money off of ones like me, who don't buy / use it. I have nothing against it except that all of the police, jails, courts are all staffed, upkeep, insurances, etc are paid by tax payers like me....not the user or seller. 

Can you explain your statements....."the legal system makes money off of ones like me, who don't buy/use it?"  How is that?  And everything else is paid by taxpayers like me.....not the user or seller?  I don't follow.  The users and sellers are the ones who pay the taxes, and contribute to the revenue, yes?

• Like 1

My tax dollars are being used to enforce prohibition. It hasn't worked, it's not going to work. One day, years later, Ky lawmakers are going to bust into the joint doing the Miley Cyrus twerking dance  like they're heroes. Helium balloons will be on the floor the band will be gone and even the fat chick will be spoken for.  

2 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

This thread could almost be as much fun as the Cubs......well, maybe not....

Spread too thin, I stayed out of there. :lol:

It's not fun when it comes to what all i could afford if the gooberment didn't use my money to create problems so that they look like they are saving us from ourselves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Weber said:

Canada is going to make it openly available for recreational use next year for persons 24 years and over.  

IMHO: Cannabis should not be legalized for recreational use. It should be decriminalized for simple possession (i.e. not a felony) and legally available for medical use.