Why was the Belle discontinued?

TasDom

Realistically, as I recall it, Klipsch had a hard time selling their last handful of Belles after they discontinued it.  They made an updated crossover for it, rounding out the line in the early 2000's by complementing the AK-4 and AL-4 crossovers with a new Belle AB-4.  Nevertheless, the Belle never showed much sign of picking up steam and moving out, IIRC.  It felt to me like it would have taken a lot of company energy and expense to re-issue a new Belle line.  

Myself, I would have preferred a revised Cornwall upper end with a larger mid-horn -- FWIW.

• 2 years later...

Always curious about what is said about belles. I bought a pair back in early 80s. Logic was “never going to have to buy better speaker again”. I still have them and still like the sound. I did do the Crites crossover and tweeter upgrade. I read post that they were a special order item only. I bought mine at a Good Guys store south of San Francisco off the showroom floor. Also they done in ebony veneer. Saw in another post they were only done in oak, walnut and black. I think there was one other finish I can’t think of, but definitely not Ebony.  Was wondering if they might have been a “special order” that someone backed out of. Anyone seen them in ebony before.?

1 hour ago, Motoguy said:

Always curious about what is said about belles. I bought a pair back in early 80s. Logic was “never going to have to buy better speaker again”. I still have them and still like the sound. I did do the Crites crossover and tweeter upgrade. I read post that they were a special order item only. I bought mine at a Good Guys store south of San Francisco off the showroom floor. Also they done in ebony veneer. Saw in another post they were only done in oak, walnut and black. I think there was one other finish I can’t think of, but definitely not Ebony.  Was wondering if they might have been a “special order” that someone backed out of. Anyone seen them in ebony before.?

The options for veneers available changed over the years....when yours were built, ebony and rosewood were still very much in the "availability zone" which changed over time as "the powers that were" decided to avoid offering veneers from "declining tropical rainforest" areas...a decision which never made sense to me, anyway...because if they are gonna cut those trees down to make more farmland, then how is not offering the veneers gonna make any difference, anyway?  It was what it was! 

• Thanks 1

I'll bet the beancounters didn't like the cost of the K-500.  HDBR has described how difficult it was to assemble.  But still, it was the beauty of the lineup. 

But maybe the equation that the LSII is like a Belle can be run in reverse.  A Belle is like an LSII.  Dare I say "Belle II."

Now there are CNC machines for cutting and the LSII assembly technique is perfected.   The same veneer MDF can be used.  The workers assembling the LSII don't have to learn new skills to make a Belle II.  The mumps midrange will fit.  Crossover might take some work.

Goes well with a Jubilee with mumps too.  Mumps surround speakers anyone?

It is not that farfetched.  Smile.

• Like 2

The Belle ceased production in 2005, 3 years after PWK's passing.  It was a business decision resulting from a near-zero demand.  I believe the previous year's Belle production was less than 10.  Possibly much less than 10.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

HDBRbuilder wrote: The options for veneers available changed over the years....when yours were built, ebony and rosewood were still very much in the "availability zone" which changed over time as "the powers that were" decided to avoid offering veneers from "declining tropical rainforest" areas...a decision which never made sense to me, anyway...because if they are gonna cut those trees down to make more farmland, then how is not offering the veneers gonna make any difference, anyway?  It was what it was! 

When I ordered my Rosewood Klipschorns and Belle in December of 1975, as a salesman for Custom Audio in Little Rock, I was allowed to go to the plant and pick out all my veneers (even the edge veneering!). My only choice was Honduran rosewood as Brazilian rosewood could (at that time) only be exported as a finished product. 

The cost? The Klipschorns were $937.00 each and the Belle was $780.00. The salesman's discount was 24%---far lower than say, McIntosh, Nakamichi or other high-end brands we sold.

That 1975 list price of $2,654.00 is the equivalent of $12,635.75 in today's dollar. 

Lee

• Like 1