Suggestions for Outdoor Speakers for Lanai and Outdoor Living Area

Youthman

• Moderators

We just had pavers and a fire pit installed in our back yard.  Last night, we picked up a hot tub that has a music system in it but I'm guessing I'll likely get better sound from a Klipsch setup.  Wanted to get some advice on outdoor or in-ceiling speakers.  I don't need it to crank as we live in a neighborhood and I don't want to be annoying to the neighbors but I do want it to sound good and have a nice full sound on the bottom end.

The AW-650 have great reviews on Amazon.

I'm wondering if something with an 8" woofer would be better?

Not sure where would be best to mount them.  The hot tub is centered under the small near the column support. 

My receiver has a zone 2 so I could power it from the theater room which is the room on the right that extends out from the house.

backyard-build-16.jpg

Not sure how these sound but I found these locally:

CDT-3650 and CS-650-R - Link

CA5TW for $65 each - Link

I like my aw-650's. Be careful buying used outdoor speakers (I know you). I bought a couple of sets, both sets had bad woofers. It seems like the voice coils take a beating from the weather. I got a refund on both sets I bought on eBay. The first set I gave away on the forum, the second set, I bought woofers for them. They have pretty good sound. If you are looking for more punch, look into buying an additional aw-800 (maybe aw-800sw) outdoor subwoofer. I haven't heard this...yet, so I can't comment on sound quality. 

If you don't mind the steeper initial investment, the KI-172's sound awesome.  I wouldn't do it out in the sun and rain but with that covered porch you could get away with it.  Otherwise, AW-650's.  I don't think you'd like the CP-6's.  KI-172's sound much better up high than the 650's though.  

If you want a fat bottom, the Episodes by SnapAV are almost annoyingly fat.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators
On 11/21/2016 at 2:56 PM, dtr20 said:

I like my aw-650's. Be careful buying used outdoor speakers (I know you).

I'm watching a set on Ebay right now.  Currently at $133. 

On 11/21/2016 at 3:10 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

If you don't mind the steeper initial investment, the KI-172's sound awesome.

There are a pair of KI 102's for $300 near me.  Have you ever heard them? 

• Moderators

As far as placement, I'm thinking of putting them up high on the long outside wall angled downwards towards the living area.  Maybe one above the middle sliding glass door and one above the window over the hot tub.  I would think that would be the best place to keep it from the elements.

Would the steam from the hot tub shorten the life span of the speakers?  Not sure it would rise that high, especially since we keep it at 102 degrees.  Not much steam coming from it that I can see.

Backyard-Living-Area-11.jpg

1 hour ago, Youthman said:

There are a pair of KI 102's for $300 near me.  Have you ever heard them? 

No but they're probably significantly nicer on the top end than the 650's in the same way that the 172's are.  The only small outdoor type speaker I've heard that had much bass was the Episodes from SnapAV and they have so much bass that it's kind of annoying and the plastic enclosures aren't super ideal anyway so I probably wouldn't worry about that too much.  Those 102's are probably real nice.  Pretty sure Roy designed them.  

You will probably have to buy a separate bracket for them if the ones you're looking at don't already come with some.  It's model SB-102, item number 061181.  

41 minutes ago, Youthman said:

Would the steam from the hot tub shorten the life span of the speakers? 

Long term exposure to UV rays from the sun is what destroys most outdoor speakers from my experience.  Just tuck them up high and dry and preferably in the shade as much as possible.  I wouldn't worry about the steam at least on a normal outdoor speaker.  I guess that would be an interesting question if you get a pro model with paper cones though.  I can't imagine there being enough steam to really do some damage, but maybe that's the case.  

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, dtr20 said:

I'm sensing industrial la scalas in youthman's future

Honestly I'm not.  I can't see putting LaScalas out there.  No room for them anyways.

29 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

I can't imagine there being enough steam to really do some damage

That's what I was thinking too.

29 minutes ago, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

Long term exposure to UV rays from the sun is what destroys most outdoor speakers from my experience.  Just tuck them up high and dry and preferably in the shade as much as possible.

I don't think the sun would ever hit these except maybe during sunset but I don't think it would even then due to the neighbor's trees.

On 11/30/2016 at 10:39 AM, Youthman said:
On 11/30/2016 at 10:00 AM, dtr20 said:

I'm sensing industrial la scalas in youthman's future

Honestly I'm not.  I can't see putting LaScalas out there.  No room for them anyways.

Huh? Youz got tons o'room:) Just be sure to invite the neighbors sometimes.:P

With all the different wireless and portable speaker offerings from Klipsch these days, I don't see the need for permanently mounted outdoor speakers unless you're having a giant party or Rush is coming over to play in your backyard.  I'm building an outdoor pergola / patio right now and plan on carrying my R-15PM's out there when I want music.  Just throwing it out there for you.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

I don't see the need for permanently mounted outdoor speakers unless you're having a giant party

Why not go with permanent speakers.  I have 5 Klipsch systems in my house....what's one more?  :D

9 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

Rush is coming over to play in your backyard.

You never know.

10 minutes ago, pbphoto said:

I'm building an outdoor pergola / patio right now and plan on carrying my R-15PM's out there when I want music.

If you already have powered speakers, that makes total sense. 

7 hours ago, pbphoto said:

With all the different wireless and portable speaker offerings from Klipsch these days, I don't see the need for permanently mounted outdoor speakers unless you're having a giant party or Rush is coming over to play in your backyard.  I'm building an outdoor pergola / patio right now and plan on carrying my R-15PM's out there when I want music.  Just throwing it out there for you.

I'm somewhat of a fan of at least the usage of outdoor speakers, they get used every day at my place, I've used various outdoor speakers multiple times a week since the late 90's.  I actually two different sets on permanently now, so if I turn music on it's playing on the back porch, front porch, as well as living room, whether I'm out there or not.  What's nice is to listen to music in the living room and if you step out on the front or back porch, the music doesn't stop, it's just seamless.  Too much trouble to lug around powered speakers and plug them in.  Just set them up and forget about it.  It's just nice for background music.  When you have a party is the time to lug around speakers outside, not the other way around.