Modifying AB Network for Belles

brians7

8 hours ago, brians7 said:

Thanks their is a couple things I would change probably. The first thing I would change is use a smaller hookup wire.  And  second thing would be drop the autotransformer and resistor in in the tweeter section which by the way is a 15ohm not a 10ohm Al said to changing it to a 15ohm would remove the sag seen in the plot. And third thing would buy the 3.5Mh coil from Bob. The cool thing about them is I can Bi-Amp or Try-Amp the if I choose. And I would like to Publicly think Al Klappenberger for his time helping me with this project.

Why get rid of the tweeter attenuation?  Why don't you like it? 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok it time for a update. So I put the new crossover in the left speaker and left Deang's A network in the right speaker. I have listen to them for a couple of weeks now and anyone that came over was made to listen none of them the new what or why they where asked to do so and the verdict is 7 out of 9 prefer the new network including me. The funny thing is that for some people it was immediate the new network sounded better hands down. I can tell you there is less hiss more focus and more laidback sound  with the new networks.  Well  I like them two thumbs from me I might be biased but 7 out of 9 people agree and the two that like Deans where women LOL.

So, the women hear better. :-)

The tap settings on your new network are now the same as a Cornwall. I can see where that might sound better to you at live listening levels (loud), but that definitely wouldn't work for me at the levels I listen at - I prefer the Klipsch settings, which produce a flatter response. However, I also run Fastrac LaScala horns, which are certainly more laid back sounding than the K-400. 

What capacitors did I use on your build?

I believe it's one of my Type A builds (with parts unknown), to the build associated with the schematic in this thread. 

I normally build the Type A with Jensen paper in oils, which sounds very good - however, and as you know - that filter doesn't lend itself well to "being cranked". 

5 hours ago, Deang said:

So, the women hear better. :-)

The tap settings on your new network are now the same as a Cornwall. I can see where that might sound better to you at live listening levels (loud), but that definitely wouldn't work for me at the levels I listen at - I prefer the Klipsch settings, which produce a flatter response. However, I also run Fastrac LaScala horns, which are certainly more laid back sounding than the K-400. 

What capacitors did I use on your build?

Yes on your networks you used Jensen paper in oils and I wish I could have used them in mine. In my build I used  ClarityCap ESA  250V in the tweeter and squawker section and Solen Metalized Polypropylene in the woofer section. My tap settings on the tweeter is X and 4 down  -1db and like I said if building them again I would not bother using a autotransformer in the tweeter section. In the squawker section the tap setting are X and 3 down -4 there. If anything I need to drop down to -3  on the squawker to match the output of the eminence kappa 15c better. So to recap they can be built cheaper if you reuse the T2a autotransformer on the squawker section and a autotransformer is not needed on the tweeter section and reused the all the inductors off the AB networks.