Speaker selection help/thoughts/recommendations

antv20

Hello all!!!   The wife gave me a new Yamaha receiver for Christmas (woo hoo) to replace a 10 year old HTIB (yikes!).  Obviously the old speakers won't due plus the old sub isn't powered.  So I have been researching speakers to death (engineer habit) and found so many manufacturers that my eyes are crossed.  Trying to keep around a 2K budget for speakers.  Last week I happened to come across RF-7 IIs and RC-64 II open box for $2500.  More than my budget but that cherry looks so good plus still would need a sub and rear surrounds.  I really started looking at the RP-280F and building a system around them.  I tried good ol google to find out what a wood grain polymer veneer is?  I have been drawn into the Klipsch realm now.  I have a separate 2 ch setup which will include a soon to be recapped Pioneer SX-1050.  I stuck trying to figure out which direction to go.... RF-7 II or RP-280F or even the RF-82 II.  Obviously the RF-7 would be top of food chain but a little confused on how the other 2 play in and is the RF-7 worth the extra coin?  (I know Klipsch forum...of course it is worth it.  :lol:)

• Moderators

Welcome to the Klipsch community.  I haven't heard the RP Series yet but absolutely love my RF-7ii as well as my first gen RF-7's.  The original RF-7's are brighter than the RF-7ii's.  The RF-7ii's, IMO, are the best speaker between the top end of the Klipsch Reference speakers (RF-7, RF7ii and RF-83).  I did a comparison of the three speakers in this thread.

Klipsch-RF-7ii-RF-7-RF-83-Showdown-1.jpg

The RF-82ii are a great all around speaker.  Have you checked craigslist to see if you can find any used?  If you don't mind buying used, you can save a ton of money.

I purchased this 11 complete RF-7ii system on Craigslist for $2000.  I wrote about the crazy story of how it came about in this thread.  If you are willing to be patient, continually be on the lookout for great deals and have some cash set aside, you can find some really great deals out there.

This is a great community.  Other guys will offer their suggestions as well.

Complete-Klipsch-RF-7-II-System-Sm.jpg

• Like 2

WOW!!  Nice.  I am in no rush on purchasing.  I did manage to score some points in my favor last night.  While watching football with the misses I had the old front speakers on instead of using TV.  After game I turned off and she said what happened the other way sounded better.  I told her wait till we get better speakers.  :D

I live Western KY, not usually much on Craigslist.  Closest major city is Nashville at 2 hours away.  I know there is a local dealer that frequents this board which is another reason why I joined. 

Edited by antv20

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, antv20 said:

I did manage to score some points in my favor last night.  While watching football with the misses I had the old front speakers on instead of using TV.  After game I turned off and she said what happened the other way sounded better.  I told her wait till we get better speakers.  :D

Nice!  My wife is the opposite.  One time she said that the TV speakers sounded as good as the RF-7ii.  Oh brother.  LOL  When we first got married, she wanted me to get those cute little cube speakers. Boy was she in for a surprise.

I would suggest trying to visit a local dealer that has the RP speakers so you can hear them first hand.  They might still have the RF-7ii as well for you to demo.  There might even be another forum member close to you that could give you a demo.  I've had several forum members over to my home.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Youthman said:

I love it too, especially since I've never seen all 3 side by side like that.  I really wanted to keep them all in the living room but not a chance with the wife.  Oh well....it was fun while they lasted.  :D

Oh that is too bad.  My wife had embraced my vinyl addiction.  She didn't mind when I added a pair of Dahlquist M905 to the living room.  She has them blended in with the décor. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, antv20 said:

Hello all!!!   The wife gave me a new Yamaha receiver for Christmas (woo hoo) to replace a 10 year old HTIB (yikes!).  Obviously the old speakers won't due plus the old sub isn't powered.  So I have been researching speakers to death (engineer habit) and found so many manufacturers that my eyes are crossed.  Trying to keep around a 2K budget for speakers.  Last week I happened to come across RF-7 IIs and RC-64 II open box for $2500.  More than my budget but that cherry looks so good plus still would need a sub and rear surrounds.  I really started looking at the RP-280F and building a system around them.  I tried good ol google to find out what a wood grain polymer veneer is?  I have been drawn into the Klipsch realm now.  I have a separate 2 ch setup which will include a soon to be recapped Pioneer SX-1050.  I stuck trying to figure out which direction to go.... RF-7 II or RP-280F or even the RF-82 II.  Obviously the RF-7 would be top of food chain but a little confused on how the other 2 play in and is the RF-7 worth the extra coin?  (I know Klipsch forum...of course it is worth it.  :lol:)

I've had the chance to listen to the RF-7 II and the RP-280F side by side before.  While the RF-7 II is awesome, I do not think you'll be disappointed with the RP-280F as your starting point.  You'll save some money in the process, which could help you get a solid center channel or a better sub.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Scars said:

I've had the chance to listen to the RF-7 II and the RP-280F side by side before.  While the RF-7 II is awesome, I do not think you'll be disappointed with the RP-280F as your starting point.  You'll save some money in the process, which could help you get a solid center channel or a better sub.

I have been kind of thinking that some.  The pair I was looking at does come with the RC-64 II. 

What is the veneer on the 280s?

12 minutes ago, Scars said:

The RC-64 II isn't a "matching" center, the RP-450C, -440C, or-250C would be though.  You may not care, but the advice I've heard is to "match" them if you can.

It's a brushed polymer veneer.

The set I was looking at was RF-7 II with the RC-64 II.  My intention is to match the fronts. 

Can anyone explain to my feeble mind what a brushed polymer veneer is?  lol.

12 minutes ago, antv20 said:

The set I was looking at was RF-7 II with the RC-64 II.  My intention is to match the fronts. 

Plastic covering:D

Seriously....they do look pretty good, just not the real wood look of the RF7lls.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, antv20 said:

Sure. 

The answer is so obvious, I'm surprised you didn't figure it out already.  It's a highly technical term you use on your wife to explain why the new speakers cost so damn much.

"honey, I know the new Klipsch speakers seem expensive, but we saved quite a bit of money considering the have a brushed polymer veneer." 

Yeah, that really works.  :rolleyes:

+++

First of all, you have a decent budget.  With a chunk of money you can buy packages and save even more on the pre-owned market.  I have seen complete 5.1 RF7-II based setups in the $1500 range.  You might have to be patient to get that kind of deal.  There are people who post here who can help you find deals.  It's unbelievable how they find them, but they do.

If you buy a la carte, I would think of L/C/R as a set.  Stay within your budget but get a high quality front end.  RF-7 II and the center of your choice is the best use of your $2K budget.  The sub is next, and surrounds are least important in terms of sound quality for your buck.

5 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Sure. 

The answer is so obvious, I'm surprised you didn't figure it out already.  It's a highly technical term you use on your wife to explain why the new speakers cost so damn much.

"honey, I know the new Klipsch speakers seem expensive, but we saved quite a bit of money considering the have a brushed polymer veneer." 

Yeah, that really works.  :rolleyes:

+++

First of all, you have a decent budget.  With a chunk of money you can buy packages and save even more on the pre-owned market.  I have seen complete 5.1 RF7-II based setups in the $1500 range.  You might have to be patient to get that kind of deal.  There are people who post here who can help you find deals.  It's unbelievable how they find them, but they do.

If you buy a la carte, I would think of L/C/R as a set.  Stay within your budget but get a high quality front end.  RF-7 II and the center of your choice is the best use of your $2K budget.  The sub is next, and surrounds are least important in terms of sound quality for your buck.

LOL!!!  That is what I thought that was for.  I figured it was plastic or vinyl covering. 

Sounds like I need to sit back and wait.  I showed the wife the RF-7 II's and she said pretty....which is the first step to get her on board.  I think I would rather go TOTL so I don't regret it later.  :rolleyes:

Edited by antv20