Which bookshelf speakers to purchase?

Skillz4lif

As I continue to upgrade my setup, I'm planning on placing bookshelf speakers in the rear. My front end consists of RF-7s and a RC-7. Amazon is selling the RB-51 ii for 199 while I can get a used RB-3 for around 80. Should I just go for the bigger driver speaker? Is the RB-3 actually timbre matched to my current setup.

15 minutes ago, Skillz4lif said:

I've been eyeing some RS-7s for surrounds so if I get those will the 3s be able to keep up on the back end?

If you can get the RS-7's for a good deal you should jump on them, they are excellent surrounds. The RB-3's will be fine for rear surround content.

6 hours ago, Tasdom said:

If you can get the RS-7's for a good deal you should jump on them, they are excellent surrounds. The RB-3's will be fine for rear surround content.

The RB-3s will work just fine as rear surrounds with RS-7 side surrounds.

Bill

5 hours ago, RoboKlipsch said:

I have the RB-51s, honestly as rear surrounds they'll keep up as long as they aren't WAY back.

But the RB-61s are on sale now everywhere too, that would be a really nice pair for the back and they are front ported

I would have loved to catch that Fry's deal for the RB-61s but I didn't even notice it in the Alerts section. So I'm keeping my eyes open in case something happens before I negotiate a deal for the RB-3s.

12 hours ago, Skillz4lif said:

I would have loved to catch that Fry's deal for the RB-61s but I didn't even notice it in the Alerts section. So I'm keeping my eyes open in case something happens before I negotiate a deal for the RB-3s.

A lot of those will end up on Ebay or craigslist, people making a few bucks turning them.   You can get what you want if you have a bit of patience, I wouldn't be surprised if Fry's doesn't offer it again, they seem to have gone through most of the last lines and offered up a bit of everything....mains, centers, bookshelves and subs.  For rear surrounds, of course you want something nice especially with RF7s, but realize that the RB51s would be sufficient, assuming they are within 10 feet or so of the listening position.  Only if they were very far away could you have a problem where the high sensitivity of the RF7s would simply outmatch the RBs.  I think it's as much as 6db difference in sensitivity.