Center channel speaker

3 hours ago, Frzninvt said:

Another Forte' would be the absolute best choice with the Academy being next.  Nothing current will match timbre' wise.

All true but most home setups are in family/living rooms and are not too accommodating for a third forte' unless TV/screen is mounted up higher.  If you are able in your room, yes get another forte' otherwise an Academy will work.  I have heard of others using a KLF-C7 and even a Heresy II.

Bill

I am also using Forte II's as my front speakers. I agree with Bill if you have the room, another Forte would be ideal as a Center speaker.

When I asked this forum the same question several years ago, suggestions received consisted of using: another Forte II or an Heresy (if size wasn't an issue). If space is an issue either Academy or KLF-C7.

I tried a Heresy, which was a great solution, other than size not feasible for daily use.

The Academy is a good solution. Although I found the KLF-C7 to be the perfect solution, based on timbre, sound, responsiveness and size.

Plus, I suggest upgrading the Crossovers and replacing the tweeters to Titanium, for each of the Forte II's & the KLF-C7. I purchased my parts from Bob Crities. Who is a great resource for ideas and solutions. Plus I found the quality of his parts excellent as well as reasonably priced.

Good luck, Jeff

Klipsch Forte II (Crities Updates)
Klipsch Heresy III
Klipsch KLF-C7 Center Speaker
Emotiva XMC-1-AV-PROCESSOR
Emotiva XPA-5 - 5 Channel Amp
OPPO BDP-103 Blu-ray player

Why do people insist on recommending the wrong center channel!  Do you not realize the center speaker is the most important speaker in your HT, the one that all the other speakers are anchored too?  The KLF-C7 was timbre' matched to the Legend series line of speakers (KLF-10, 20, 30) it's timbre' will NOT match that of the Forte' if you think it does then you obviously cannot hear the difference.  The RC-7 is even worse it was developed with the Reference series speaker line (RF-3, RF-5, RP-5, RF-7) response in mind.  A Heresy II would be a stretch but a better choice than the aforementioned speakers.  I am certainly not saying it will sound bad, it won't it will just not be a seamless match across the front stage during right to left or left to right pans across the front.  Personally I would go phantom center mode rather than a mis-matched center speaker.  To each his own I suppose.

Just now, Frzninvt said:

Why do people insist on recommending the wrong center channel!  Do you not realize the center speaker is the most important speaker in your HT, the one that all the other speakers are anchored too?  The KLF-C7 was timbre' matched to the Legend series line of speakers (KLF-10, 20, 30) it's timbre' will NOT match that of the Forte' if you think it does then you obviously cannot hear the difference.  The RC-7 is even worse it was developed with the Reference series speaker line (RF-3, RF-5, RP-5, RF-7) response in mind.  A Heresy II would be a stretch but a better choice than the aforementioned speakers.  I am certainly not saying it will sound bad, it won't it will just not be a seamless match across the front stage during right to left or left right pans across the front.  Personally I would go phantom center mode rather than a mis-matched center speaker,

I have tried them all over the years and the RC-7 matches up quite close to the forte and Chorus and is a solid performer, best option for what is available other than a third tower in my opinion. I have tried phantom center as well and always go back to my trusty ole RC-7 as it works perfect and sounds great.

I would have not made the comment if I had not heard them.  The RC-7, KV-4, KLF-C7, KG 2.2, KG 2.5, KV-3, KV-2, KSC-C1, KSP-C6 you name it the timbre' is not the same.  If your ears cannot discern the difference and it sounds good to you then that is fine.  However, the timbre' does not match at all.  Even the Academy is a compromise.  Get some reference mains to go with that center and tell me there is no improvement to your front stage.  Run some frequency sweeps across the front stage at it should be obvious to you.  As I said it won't sound bad it just is not going to be seamless.  

It looks to me as if a Heresy II would be a good/best match.  The squawker and tweeter are the same. 

A KLF-C7 is an excellent center channel, but was not a great match to my La Scalas, or Heresy Is.  I used it for several years because it was a good size for the place I had to put it and it sounded great on voices.  I'm guessing it wouldn't mate that well with Forte's. 

To get a smaller center channel with a good tonal match my brother built a KLF-C7 sized center using the squawker and tweeter from a Heresy and a pair of 7" woofers we found.  You might do that with scavenged Heresy II drivers and a custom crossover that's similar to your Forte's.