Marantz amplifier with Heresy speakers?

I have a lovely Marantz 1152Dc amplifier that I'm looking to pair with my Thorens turntable and some nicer speakers. Currently I have everything paired with some Technics sb-4500a model speakers, but they've been the obvious weak point in an otherwise (I believe) very nice stereo.

My father has a pair of Heresy II's that I've always loved, and I have a a chance to buy a vintage set of woodgrain Heresy speakers tomorrow. 

I wanted to know if anyone thought they would pair well with the components that I have, or if it sounds like a bad match? 

I should add that I've been building my hi fi stereo on a shoestring for quite some time, so Klipsch have always been out of reach. I'm excited to have a chance to buy a nice pair finally, and would appreciate any advice. I don't know much about them but I've heard that recapping them and perhaps filling the cabinets with insolation padding is a good inexpensive way to improve them?

Thoughts and advice appreciated 

They should do fine together, but a word of caution.  The Marantz receiver is almost 50 years old. The capacitors in the amp are most likely dried out which can lead to a muddy, dull sound. Heresy's have a very detailed sound and that weakness in your system may likely show up when you have a more revealing set of speakers.

• Like 1

It will probably sound great. I use a big Marantz 2330B 130 watt receiver with my Klipsch and love it. I would advise learning how to check set DC offset and Bias, which are easy to do if you're careful and follow instructions using a multimeter. Or have a local tech go over it. The amp is from 1978-1980, so it's not fifty years old yet! Lol. Great era for stereo. 

I should add that the turntable is a Thorens TD 145 with an Ortofon 2M Red, and the amplifier is paired with a Marantz 2110 receiver (with scope!).

If I do purchase the Heresy's, I'll post a photo so you can all tell me that it's a lovely set up and that my speaker placement is too close to my turntable, lol.

I've heard it said that Heresy's pair better with Tube amps instead of Solid State amps, and that it might be screechy or shrill with a solid state amp. Has anyone else had that experience?

Edited by SystemCrashOverRide

Just out of curiosity, which Heresy?  The original Heresy, Heresy II, or Heresy III?

I would expect any of the above to sound good with the Marantz, but I second what Thebes said; Klipsch speakers tend to be very revealing, and veil nothing.  When I first had Klipschorns, I had a Marantz of that vintage, but a far inferior one, and I could hear distortion through the Khorns.  When I went over to Luxman electronics, the Khorns revealed no distortion.  Smooth as butter.  Now, in our home theater, we use Heresy IIs for surrounds.  We have a Marantz pre/pro, and one Heresy II is fed by 1/2 of a NAD C272 power amp, and the other one is fed by 1/2 a Yamaha MX-600/U power amp.  They both sound very good, with the NAD possibly sounding a bit better.  To be fair, the Yamaha is 34 years old, and the NADs are a mere 17 on their next birthday.

Just now, SystemCrashOverRide said:

I believe they are the original Heresy. Woodgrain boxes, but the rear stickers do not say the model (was this normal under any circumstances?)

I guess the original ones just said "Heresy."   Paul and his people may not have known they were going to commit multiple Heresies.

Somebody else may be able to correct this, but I think the very first Heresy was intended for a third channel between two Khorns, or two Cornwalls, etc., and may have been voiced a bit differently.   The Heresies I first heard were meant to be stand alone speakers and had a slightly "hot" high end.  Good sounding, though.  The Heresy IIs your dad had might have been a little more neutral sounding.

Of course, make sure the woofers, midrange, and tweeters are all working.

I mean to test them when I go to check them out tomorrow, but the gentleman doesn't have a stereo so I'll be bringing some of my own equipment to test. Any suggestions on how to test that the woofers, mid-range and tweeters are in decent shape? I'll obviously be checking the cones for any tearing and the same for the foam. If there are other good simple ways to test them, I'm all ears.

3 minutes ago, SystemCrashOverRide said:

I mean to test them when I go to check them out tomorrow, but the gentleman doesn't have a stereo so I'll be bringing some of my own equipment to test. Any suggestions on how to test that the woofers, mid-range and tweeters are in decent shape? I'll obviously be checking the cones for any tearing and the same for the foam. If there are other good simple ways to test them, I'm all ears.

Some people take a paper towel roll with them and put one end where each speaker is (particularly the tweeters and midranges) and put their ear at the other end of the roll, in order to isolate the sound of each speaker in the box, to confirm they are working.

Play the speakers at soft, medium, and moderately loud levels.  Listen for any scraping sound or any distortion. 

If they are as old as original Herseys, they may need their capacitors changed.   If the price is right, they might still be worth it.

There are several people on this forum who could help you with that, or do it for you (rewiring balancing networks) for a price.  Just start a new thread and ask for that help. 

Good Luck!

6 minutes ago, SystemCrashOverRide said:

I just realised something off putting about the speakers. The center cones on the main speakers are wildly different sized. Does this mean that one of them was likely replaced? Would this scare anyone off from buying them?

ad_0_1485049330223.jpg

Yes, that is definitely off putting.  Either one cone was replaced, or they were purchased at different times and Klipsch changed the woofers.  Hopefully, that doesn't mean that one was overdriven because that could harm the mid and tweet, as well.  Listen to them side by side and evaluate.  If you can get some help tomorrow, take your current speakers with you and see which you like best ... or buy them with a (written) return privilege.  In comparing them to your current speakers, make sure they are played at the same volume by ear (ignore the position of the volume control).  

3 hours ago, SystemCrashOverRide said:

I just realised something off putting about the speakers. The center cones on the woofers are wildly different sized. Does this mean that one of them was likely replaced? Would this scare anyone off from buying them?

ad_0_1485049330223.jpg

I just like things to match whether it sounds right or not.  I'd offer less with the plan to replace one or both woofers.

A rag in the mid horn will let you hear how the tweeter is working.