Polk RTA-15TL double post sorry!

tom b. 57

Anybody ever own a pair?

Just got a pair in good physical condition with one blown tweeter for free and am wondering if they are worth the cost of replacing the tweeter.

Looks like the tweeter will cost roughly $50.00+shipping.

What do you think?

Tom

Edited by tom b. 57
Double Post

Did you Google them?

Solid resale value, possibly $1400?  (no date when value was assessed)

http://polksda.com/list.shtml

Sounds like they have some issues but can be modified.

I concluded that the tweeter was working pretty hard, probably due to a low crossover point, which made some recordings sound harsh, especially those with a saxophone or electric guitar. Even some vocalists came across with an unpleasant timbre. It also sounded as though the tweeter was a bit too loud, or forward.

I also noticed that the speakers boomed dreadfully when placed close to a wall. There was an excess of midbass, especially in the 100-200 Hz range, but output below 100 Hz was noticeably less. My hypothesis on the abundance of boomy midbass is as follows:

Both passive radiators, despite their different moving masses, operate over the same basic range. However, they are out of phase with each other.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/48075/modifications-to-the-rta-15tl

Free..... good condition...... just needs a tweeter for around $50......

Yea I'd fix em and play with em...... I don't think you'll loose.... Those things went for around $1600 a pair back in the day...

Never heard these..... While posting this I did a google...... Yea, as Dave posted they got some issues.....

Post a pic of em Tom, lets have a look at them:D

MKP :-)

17 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

Did you Google them?

Solid resale value, possibly $1400?  (no date when value was assessed)

http://polksda.com/list.shtml

Sounds like they have some issues but can be modified.

$1400 is what they once retailed for. They do not go for that high now. I've owned RTA's, SDA's, and Monitor series over the years. Good sounding speakers and do like power. I'd take a pair of RTA 15's any day of the week. They give the CF's a serious run for the money. 

What issues? A bad tweeter? That's no big deal. A person doesn't have to do near the modifications on those like seems to have to be done on Klipsch. Change this, change that, add this, do that. Capacitors and resistors are all I ever did short of maybe changing to the newer Polk RD0 tweeters. 

Where are you located? If you don't like them, I'd take them off your hands. If you were close. ;)

29 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Holy crap....free? Just saw that. 

Yes free, the gentleman had purchased them new in the early 90's and when he blew the tweeter he put them aside and purchased new speakers. He said he always intended to replace the tweeter, just never did.

I am in no hurry to repair and I think I will wait until I find a killer deal on eBay for a tweeter.

I'm cheap, or is that thrifty?

18 minutes ago, tom b. 57 said:

I'm cheap, or is that thrifty?

Yes.  ;)

+++

I don't think I'd hold out for a tweeter on Ebay unless this tweeter was used on several models.  I think I saw this speaker was only produced from 1990-92 so that was a quarter of a century ago. 

If you can't find a matching tweeter you might consider listing them for whatever their value is, let's say $500.  Then knock $50 off so the next buyer can try to find a tweeter.  Take the money and run.

But as you said if you can buy a new tweeter for $50 I'd do that and not mess around waiting for used.  After shipping on the used part, what are you going to save, 20 bucks?

Join the Polk forum and I believe you can get them for under $50. May have changed, though. Got to give Polk credit; they still stock and supply parts to people that run those "quarter century old speakers". And you don't have to jump through fiery hoops to get them. Except for passive radiators....those are unobtanium for the most part.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, avguytx said:

Join the Polk forum and I believe you can get them for under $50. May have changed, though. Got to give Polk credit; they still stock and supply parts to people that run those "quarter century old speakers". And you don't have to jump through fiery hoops to get them. Except for passive radiators....those are unobtanium for the most part.

I think I will check into that.

Thank you

17 minutes ago, jason str said:

Pump a bit of power through them before you do anything, if the surrounds are dry rotted, cracked or fall apart the $50 budget just flew out the window.

I checked out the surrounds at the pickup point they are in good shape, firm and not dried out and seem to be no voice coil rub. Haven't put any power to them yet. Will probably do that tomorrow.