2.1 Preamp with HT bypass

USNRET

1 hour ago, USNRET said:

Parasound 2100 2.1 preamp

A wonderful preamp.  I owned one for a while and combined with the matching 2125 stereo amp the sound was awesome.  I never even tried the HT bypass feature because my NAD pre/pro handles 2-channel very well.

I think the Cambridge Audio 840E offers the same.  

There is a comprehensive list out there with both preamps and integrated amps that have the feature.

Bill

I'm definitely going for those features for my next preamp. They're very relevant to modern listening and for some reason seem like they'd been neglected for some time. Bass management seems like a must, there's no need to bother the speakers with very low bass. I've looked at Parasound and Emotiva there and if I were going for Parasound, I'd want the P5. It has filtration for both the speakers and subwoofer, while I believe the 2100 only has it for the subwoofer. I'd personally be more interested in the speaker filter than the subwoofer filter, so that's the one I'd get. 

I have had the Peach.

Will be used in conjunction with Marantz 8801 and (for now) Emotiva XPA-5 amp to Khorns. I have a pair of PSA subs with one in use I could use the one active in HT or install the other for 2 channel only.

Required: must sound better than my Marantz AV8801 in stereo mode, <$1500

Desires:

SS as tube has a higher initial cost (I think)

Remote control

HT bypass engaged when preamp is not on (default to HT bypass)

DAC not that important. I can use my on board source DAC (Oppo 105) or invest in external

Accessible bass management controls (on rear is a hassle)

Bass control on remote would be nice

XLR input / output on the HT bypass circuit not required on source inputs

Phono stage not needed

Funny you should ask that at this moment Richard.
As you might recall, I had the Peach in with several varieties of amps but always with Belles. I have sent way too many hours in the last few days researching a new pre-amp^^^^^.

Today I have just the Marantz / Emo combo but with 1/2 way enclosed back Khorns (one panel on each outboard side).

I had about an hour today while the house was empty and streamed some FLAC from my NAS to the Marantz. I played around and finally found the Audyssey OFF menu and listened in stereo 2.1 and I was very, very impressed. So much so that until I finish the other enclosures and speaker positioning I will not be looking to buy a preamp soon. It was very good (had to check the Belle center to make sure it was no on.

I had a discussion with a person at Cary Audio today as they had a B stock preamp down from ~$2K to 1K that had but not a lot of my desired feature. I was told that it might might a minor difference over my 8801 but don't expect night/day; I might want to go with the $8K model......

With all that rambling I find the Marantz prepro more than adequate at this time. Totally different systems but together this sounds better than when the Peach was in...apples to ketchup.

Now if I had a room, A ROOM, this might not be the case.