Do you use Banana Plugs?

jwadd21

If so, why? Do they offer anything other than convenience for hooking speakers up? Do they offer better sound? Whats the deal?

------------------

MY SYSTEM

Mains: Klipsch RF-3II

Center: Klipsch RF-3II

Rear L/R: Polk R40 bookshelves(suck)...soon to be Klipsch RS-3II

Subwoofers: Dual SVS 25-31CS

Subwoofer Amp: Fidek 3002 600w

Receiver: Harmon Kardon AVR520

CD Player: Cambridge D500SE

DVD Player: JVC XV-D723 Progressive Scan

TV: Toshiba 32A42 32"

I have added BPs to my setup, for 2 reasons:

1) The binding posts on my Denon 3300 are difficult to secure bare 12 gauge wire to due to the funky plastic collar that surrounds the base of each post.

2) The hole in the binding posts on my Chorus speakers is too small to take 12 gauge wire (guess PWK thought lamp cord was just fine, right!).

The ease of connecting and disconnecting is relevant if you plan to unhook them frequently and they are hard to access (like reaching around the back of the unit while in a rack/entertainment center).

Other than that, bare wire is the way to go AFAIC.

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 09-16-2002 at 01:42 PM

jwadd

Im all bare wire to every speaker.

I got burned 15 years ago using banana plugs. I was using some push/pull amp (don't remember the name)when the banana vibrated out at high volume. It destroyed the amp.

Been running bare wire ever since.

JM

------------------

HT / Listening Environment:

Mains: '83 Khorns

All Heritage Center: K77, K400 above screen, Dual K22 in Heresy cabinets under screen.

Sides: Forte 1

Subs: Dual SVS Ultra +

Screen: 65"x120" DaLite Grey

Projector: Sharp PG-M20X

Processor: Lexicon MC-1

2 Ch Preamp: McIntosh C-36

Many NAD mono amps (for now)

Banana plugs do not sound any better than any other connector. They look nice and are convenient. But IMHO most banana plugs are a poor choice for audio. They just don't result in a solid connection. I have, however, had success with the RadioShack locking banana plugs. They give a solid connection and will not pull out easily. Usually I use a tinned bare wire end or spade lugs.

Ive used banana plugs for years for my pro equipment because you need quick connects for most everything for road gear. I dont use them at home because they sometimes make for a difficult fit on some of the products I use in my home theater. I keep an eye out for oxidation at the exposed areas and if I find corrosion I just cut it off at that point and strip the sheathing off and reconnect. At home there is only one banana plug I really like. Hand me my maracas mis amigos ! Hit It ! :

I'm Chiquita banana and I've come to say - Bananas have to ripen in a certain way- When they are fleck'd with brown and have a golden hue - Bananas taste the best and are best for you - You can put them in a salad - You can put them in a pie-aye - Any way you want to eat them - It's impossible to beat them - But, bananas like the climate of the very, very tropical equator - So you should never put bananas in the refrigerator. Cha Cha Cha!

------------------

tHe wORLDs werst TYPesT>

I use bannanas mostly just for the neatness factor.

I rarely plug or unplug my equipment. But it just

makes everything look neater and plus its easy to

connect or disconect

6.jpg

But as you can see towards the left where my 2 rear

channels are I couldnt fit bananas so I used Pins.

HT404.GIF

------------------

Thanks,

Daryl Gregg cwm12.gif

MY Home Theatre Page

HK AVR-510 Reciever

Sony DVP-NS400D DVD

SB-3 Mains

SC-1 Center

Quintet Rears

KSW-12 Sub

AR Proseries Interconects

pwk.gif

R.I.P. Paul W. Klipsch THE LEGEND! 3/9/04 - 5/5/02

Hey

I leave you guys alone for a few days, and what happens....it all turns to ...er rr well. So no I need to set you straight.

1. Every point of connection is a point of disconnection...so why add two more?

2. Bananas do not leak so why the plugs?

3. BBB did you buy stock in chaquita thus the Plug? BEWARE - WE BE BACK.

Slaps&Tickles

The terrible twosome

• 2 weeks later...

I also agree with boa,On both my systems I run 12 gauge with normal pins,I don't know why people really like to believe you get better sound running all these gold plated things,There putting this gold spray on every plug you buy these days just to sell,Over all the years of making klipsch.You think Paul would not have put these fancy gold connecters on all his crossovers.Take a look guys at your big box in the rear9.gif Do you see any shiny connecters,Thats right "no"

If Paul thought they were needed for better sound he would have spent 2 bucks and put them on.Keep your loot and spend it on some good 12 gauge or better wire.