first time poster with a few general questions

92rslt1

Hi guys, I was not sure what the proper classification of my topic would be considered, so I am posting it as general.

I have acquired several excellent condition klipsh ceiling speakers from a large retailer that went out of business and was demolished. The speakers are in excellent shape, they sounded really good, they are model IC-6t commercial grade recessed speakers. I also got 3 rather large commercial outdoor speakers as well. I currently have two other in ceiling speakers in my bedroom that are just monoprice 8 inch speakers.

My goal is to get a full house audio system and use the klipsh IC-6t in my office and other living spaces. I am going to mount the 3 outdoor speakers up under the sofit in my pool area.

My question is, how do I power these speakers? Is there a special commercial amp I will need? They all... including the outdoor set have built in 70v transformers of some sort. How do I power those? and I assume they act as an amp? so would I only need a signal to the speakers, such as an rca type connection? or do I actually need to run speaker wire from a receiver to them? I plan to combine these with other recessed non powered speakers, hopefully using only one reciever.

Thanks!!

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum!

I'm not sure but I always thought those would be a step down transformer.  Meaning, you would take your signal, take it through a step UP transformer, then take your signal as far as needed, then step it down so it can be used.

Someone will correct me if I butchered it too much.

1 minute ago, 92rslt1 said:

Hi guys, I was not sure what the proper classification of my topic would be considered, so I am posting it as general.

I have acquired several excellent condition klipsh ceiling speakers from a large retailer that went out of business and was demolished. The speakers are in excellent shape, they sounded really good, they are model IC-6t commercial grade recessed speakers. I also got 3 rather large commercial outdoor speakers as well. I currently have two other in ceiling speakers in my bedroom that are just monoprice 8 inch speakers.

My goal is to get a full house audio system and use the klipsh IC-6t in my office and other living spaces. I am going to mount the 3 outdoor speakers up under the sofit in my pool area.

My question is, how do I power these speakers? Is there a special commercial amp I will need? They all... including the outdoor set have built in 70v transformers of some sort. How do I power those? and I assume they act as an amp? so would I only need a signal to the speakers, such as an rca type connection? or do I actually need to run speaker wire from a receiver to them? I plan to combine these with other recessed non powered speakers, hopefully using only one reciever.

Thanks!!

Weccome.

I hope you have a little time on your hands today, you have come to the right place......:emotion-21:

Those speakers are designed for the PA systems typically used in public buildings such as malls, hospitals, schools, etc.

They are fed from a PA from the likes of a company such as Bogen, which will usually provide a 25V or 70V output. The reason is, the speakers will usually be a considerable distance from the sound source and it's less expensive to run smaller gauge wire long distances, and step the voltage down/current up at the speaker. Also, these PA amps are meant to drive many more speakers than the typical home sound system. The transformer provides a high input impedance, which makes connecting many speakers possible. The typical PA speaker will usually have a small transformer on it with multiple colored wires on the input or output, I forget. The wires follow a standard color code. One of those pairs of wires is usually for your typical 8 ohm load. You either connect the "taps" you need to the input wires or to the speaker. If your speakers lack those transformer "taps", then they may be designed ONLY for the PA output voltage you mentioned. If you can remove the wires from the transformer that connect to the speaker, and measure the resistance of the speaker with your voltmeter, and you find it's the typical 8/6 ohms, then don't use the transformer at all and connect your amplifier directly to the speaker. Throw away the transformer.

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys,

I finally got a few of these connected. I found there was a bypass switch to bypass the transformer and run them directly. It states on them that they are 16 ohm. So I tested them with my old pioneer 240 watt receiver which usually is pretty powerful when only connected to a few speakers, however the speakers sound is rather weak. They distort easily and just sound like they have no power, bass or very hollow sounding. I ran them parallel and checked the ohms at the receiver and with two speakers on a channel I get 8 ohms.  Is it a bad idea to run them parallel at 8 ohms? and is that why they distort and such?

Not a bad idea, at all. 

If they don't have an enclosure, the bass will be weak until they are mounted in a wall, or ceiling.  Bass waves are long.  The rear wave easily cancels the front wave.   No bass. 

A 6" woofer can only absorb so much power.  A power amp capable of delivering 240 watts will easily over power them.  That old Pioneer should easily tolerate 4 speakers on each channel (4 ohms). 

You can buy a multi-channel power amp, a step-up transformer and use yours, or a commercial power amp with built-in 70V transformer.  All 3 will work fine.  Runninf 70V means you can run small wire, like CAT6 or telephone wire for LONG distances and still get good results. 

• Like 1