Best Buy - Klipsch 5.1 Demo experience

wvu80

Yeah you have to be careful in the big box stores, they reel you in with sales and get you on the way out with all the add ons. A friend got a great deal on a big screen a few years ago but then paid $150 for a wall mount that you could buy online for $30 and $200 for a couple fancy HDMI cables that could have been bought for $10. When I pointed this out to him he just said he didn't care because he needed them now and he got a great deal on the TV which made up for it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, chasec2021 said:

As far as cables go, I learned a long time ago to stock up and have them ready for whenever it was time to do a project and not need to run to best buy for an HDMI or Optical cable

I'm with you.

My frame of reference is Walmart not Best Buy, so my only best Buy experience was comparing the Netgear stuff to Amazon prices.  If I need an HDMI cable from Walmart, I have a hard time buying there because the markup is usually at least triple what I would pay through Monoprice.

• Like 1

Just now, wvu80 said:

I'm with you.

My frame of reference is Walmart not Best Buy, so my only best Buy experience was comparing the Netgear stuff to Amazon prices.  If I need an HDMI cable from Walmart, I have a hard time buying there because the markup is usually at least triple what I would pay through Monoprice.

Best Buy and Walmart are not all that different from each other in the way they price things. Netgear, Samsung, Xbox, PS4, all that stuff will be relatively similar no matter where you buy. Its the stuff to make that stuff work that they gauge you. They know they cant raise the price of an xbox even 25 dollars without losing sales. But they can make their own brands, such as Monster, and gold plate it (makes no difference) and raise the price, and people who just want the new tv or xbox they are buying at that store at that time will feel like they have no choice but to go ahead and buy it right then and there. That my friend, is where they are making their profits.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chasec2021 said:

, and people who just want the new tv or xbox they are buying at that store at that time will feel like they have no choice but to go ahead and buy it right then and there. That my friend, is where they are making their profits.

And don't forget to get the Extended Warranty! 

(which experts will tell you is almost never worth the price)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jjptkd said:

Yeah you have to be careful in the big box stores, they reel you in with sales and get you on the way out with all the add ons. A friend got a great deal on a big screen a few years ago but then paid $150 for a wall mount that you could buy online for $30 and $200 for a couple fancy HDMI cables that could have been bought for $10. When I pointed this out to him he just said he didn't care because he needed them now and he got a great deal on the TV which made up for it.

You really can't reason with that kinda mentality. $350 to make it work this instant probably happens more times than we want to admit. Reading this actually made me mad.

9 minutes ago, Mighty Favog said:

My wife's son used to work at BB. That $40 cable costs the store about $3-$4 tops.

Back when I had a friend that worked at best buy, I was wanting to upgrade to 7.1 and got my buddy to buy me a yamaha receiver. this was like 6-7 years ago. I still use it today in my main HT. I think it was probably $500+, but he got it for me for $240 with his employee discount. And those are the products they arent even marking up over what other retailers are.  

Companies like Bose pay BIG money to have displays and kiosks setup.  That is how they get the word out, they have really nice displays in the stores and that helps to make the brand seem elevated.   Klipsch would have to pay to do this, I think they mostly believe that their better lines are represented by dealers with really nice demo rooms already.  Most higher end music stores have really nice displays.  

Here in Chicagoland, ABT is considered one of if not the best retailer (and Consumer Reports considers them #1 in the country), and they do not have a dedicated Klipsch room but have most of their lines all in one room where they can be compared A/B easily.

The higher end speakers have some dedicated rooms in ABT, and again I don't know but would assume they pay big bucks to have that dedicated space.  Bowers & Wilkins definitely has a hold on the high end at that store, they have at least 2 if not 3 rooms with it in there.  The half million showcase theater is also B&W.   I think a pair of bookshelves retailed for about $8k!  lol