Audyssey and Phase reversal

USNRET

I ran the Audyssey XT-32 from the Marantz AV 8801 thru the KHorn mains and Belle center today and it reported the mains to have phase reversal. I have heard this before on the Belle mains but was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

According to Audyssey, this can be caused by a couple of things, including the speakers being designed to have a driver out of phase by design. If the speaker is wired properly at both ends, it can be skipped and has no impact on the room correction process.

• Like 2

I have Khorns and Audyssey (Onkyo AVR) and it reports all is well.

In another setup a couple of years ago Audyssey complained I had a speaker out of phase.  I double checked and I had reversed the +/- on a single side surround.  I corrected the wiring, re-ran Audyssey and the second time through, no complaints from the magical genie in my ONK.

4 hours ago, USNRET said:

I ran the Audyssey XT-32 from the Marantz AV 8801 thru the KHorn mains and Belle center today and it reported the mains to have phase reversal. I have heard this before on the Belle mains but was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

I have Khorns LF and RF and a Belle center, and Audyssey reports them in phase (i.e., Audyssey doesn't flag them as being out of phase).

Long shot:  Is your ceiling low?  With Khorns, a ceiling at least 8.5 feet high is recommended.  Perhaps a too early reflection from the ceiling is confusing Audyssey.  If you do have a low ceiling, you could put an absorbing panel on the ceiling where the early reflection to your main listening position would occur.  According to Heyser, a thick rug at the first reflection point off the floor is recommended, as well.  See Chris A's thread on corner horn imaging, although it sounds like you already have great imaging.

After Audyssey calibration, are the AVR trims on any of the channels @ -12 (maximum cut)?  This is a problem in that Audyssey may have set them even lower than -12, if it could.  It is very common with speakers as efficient as Khorns and Belles.  It doesn't affect the ("hundreds of") EQ points Audyssey sets, but can affect the channel balance.  Careful measurement  with a SPL meter to get all channels to the same SPL from the main listening position, after Audyssey calibration, will fix this, BUT be sure to use pink noise from a test disk in your player rather than the test noise in your Marantz, because most  AVR test noises do not pass through Audyssey, and the average SPL of the pink noise can be very different if there remains a big peak or dip in one or more channels before Audyssey works its magic, that won't be there when you listen to music, because Audyssey will have fixed it. 

If your Marantz manual is anything like my Marantz manual, it is not a big help.  The following link is:  "Audyssey FAQ Linked Here"