Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
Christiaan

Surround sound dilemma!! Reference II mixed with Reference Premier

Recommended Posts

Hello all. This is my first time posting because usually I am able to somewhat solve whatever home theater issue I have. However, this one I cannot. Thank you in advance for your guidance and help. I am currently in the process of rebuilding my home theater 7.2 arsenal with; 

RF-7II's (Front L and R)

RC-64II 

R-12SW (2x) 

and RB-61II's (Suround back) 

Where are my surround sides? Currently next to impossible to find. I would love a pair of RS-52II's and even more so RS-62II's. I do have a pair for RS-42II's but for my own exsentric reasons, I want to go a little bigger. In you opinion, if I am unable to obtain a new to near new condition pair of either 42's or 62's how would one feel about mixing in a pair of the new Reference Premier RP-250's as my surround (sides) seeing as all the other speakers are part of the reference II series? Is this ridiculously taboo and frowned upon? I know mixing fronts with centers is no good, which makes sense. Please help! 

Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should be able to find a gently used pair of 52 or 62 if you watch on ebay or in the garage sale area here.

 

If you are unable to find them you would be just fine getting something from the rp line.

 

I have the 42ii's and think they do the job in my system, but if you gave me the choice I would always go bigger.

 

GL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome Christiaan.  I'm not familiar with the new RP Series so I do not know how they sound compared to the Reference Series.  I've owned RS-52, RS-62 and now RS-62ii.  RS-52 had no problem keeping up with my previous RF-83 / RC-64 setup.  When I upgraded to RS-62ii, they sounded "bigger".  Noticeable difference.  I heard zero difference between RS-62 and RS-62ii.  Simply cosmetic differences. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The RP-250S is more laid back than the 62ii up top, I measured both in the same room and above 4,500 hz was about 3 db lower on average on the RP-250S.  It has nowhere near the bass response of the RS-62ii though, below 120 hz there was a very significant difference, moreso the lower you went.  On everything else though, they sound nearly identical, with lots of material I bet you couldn't tell them apart.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so far for the responses. I will still look out for a great pair of RS-52ii' or 62ii's while still considering the RP-250's. Again, thank you and please share more info to anyone wanting to post. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/8/2017 at 5:42 PM, MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:

The RP-250S is more laid back than the 62ii up top, I measured both in the same room and above 4,500 hz was about 3 db lower on average on the RP-250S.  It has nowhere near the bass response of the RS-62ii though, below 120 hz there was a very significant difference, moreso the lower you went.  On everything else though, they sound nearly identical, with lots of material I bet you couldn't tell them apart.  

 

I'm in the same boat, just got the RF-82 II and RC-62 II and looking for surrounds. I understand from this post there is a difference between the RS-62 and the new RP250s....I chalk it up to bigger is better.

 

I was wondering how the RS-52 and RP250s since they are the same size.  Somethings I noticed was it doesn't have a port like the Rs-52 and of course the new model has the new 90x90 tweeter. Anyone have a comparison between the new and old models? Really I'm just wondering how the bass is on the new models.

 

Thanks. 

 

Mark

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites







 








I'm in the same boat, just got the RF-82 II and RC-62 II and looking for surrounds. I understand from this post there is a difference between the RS-62 and the new RP250s....I chalk it up to bigger is better.








 








I was wondering how the RS-52 and RP250s since they are the same size.  Somethings I noticed was it doesn't have a port like the Rs-52 and of course the new model has the new 90x90 tweeter. Anyone have a comparison between the new and old models? Really I'm just wondering how the bass is on the new models.








 








Thanks. 








 








Mark




Hey did you get a good deal on the rc-62ii I'm in the hunt for one I just got the 1 rf-82ii from the frys deal and now I'm hoping they put the rc62 up for sale


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a minty pair of RS-52II's and boxes I might be persuaded to sell. I know what I paid new, but don't know their value now. Been thinking of changing from 9.2 to 7.2

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tasdom said:

I have a minty pair of RS-52II's and boxes I might be persuaded to sell. I know what I paid new, but don't know their value now. Been thinking of changing from 9.2 to 7.2

This Reference stuff will get harder to acquire and Tasdom has some nice gerar....I'm not suggesting that someone should jump on this.:D 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2017 at 10:28 PM, mar0579 said:


Hey did you get a good deal on the rc-62ii I'm in the hunt for one I just got the 1 rf-82ii from the frys deal and now I'm hoping they put the rc62 up for sale


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a mint condition RC-62ii I will be looking to part with soon if you are interested which it

sounds like you are. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/19/2017 at 10:56 PM, Tasdom said:

I have a minty pair of RS-52II's and boxes I might be persuaded to sell. I know what I paid new, but don't know their value now. Been thinking of changing from 9.2 to 7.2

 

On 2/19/2017 at 10:56 PM, Tasdom said:

I have a minty pair of RS-52II's and boxes I might be persuaded to sell. I know what I paid new, but don't know their value now. Been thinking of changing from 9.2 to 7.2

I am VERY interested!!! Email me please. tiefightervw@gmail.com 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Christian, 

 

He saw my ad in the garage sale area and messaged me too about the speakers and we made a deal.

 

 

Did you see this pair on eBay? I messaged the guy and he said they were in good condition. I offered 400 but he didn't take it. Maybe try offering 450-475 and see if he is willing to go down on the price? 

 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Reference-RS-52-II-Rear-Speakers-pair-/332111536110?hash=item4d5363dfee%3Ag%3AJfkAAOSwNnRYkrlX&_trkparms=pageci%3A67abb287-f989-11e6-9c4c-74dbd18085ef%7Cparentrq%3A69746ec315a0a7868973feeaffecfc8b%7Ciid%3A2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites







I have a mint condition RC-62ii I will be looking to part with soon if you are interested which it








sounds like you are. 




Pm me Chris


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2017 at 11:44 PM, Boilermaker86 said:

Hey Christian, 

 

He saw my ad in the garage sale area and messaged me too about the speakers and we made a deal.

 

 

Did you see this pair on eBay? I messaged the guy and he said they were in good condition. I offered 400 but he didn't take it. Maybe try offering 450-475 and see if he is willing to go down on the price? 

 

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Reference-RS-52-II-Rear-Speakers-pair-/332111536110?hash=item4d5363dfee%3Ag%3AJfkAAOSwNnRYkrlX&_trkparms=pageci%3A67abb287-f989-11e6-9c4c-74dbd18085ef%7Cparentrq%3A69746ec315a0a7868973feeaffecfc8b%7Ciid%3A2

I did. In fact I made an offer but retracted it because of the photos he sent me. The had some 'minor' damage but due to my last used speaker purchase on eBay, I am very weary to buying anything but new. I purchased a set of 'perfect' RS-42ii's and cosmetically they were, then I realized that one of them had 2 blown woofers. They were anything BUT perfect. Love my story short, unless I buy from a trusted member of Klipsch community or similar speaker/av equipment aficionado site, I am done with used speakers from EBay. I actually ended up buying a pair of RP-250s'. I still am on the hunt for a pair of RS-52ii's and RS-62ii's but for the time being, I believe these speakers will definitely provide what my surrounds have been lacking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's good to Know. I was really considering getting those but maybe a bit niave thinking since he had the box they would be in good condition. I'm glad you let me know, I might have considered getting those incase I ever wanted 7.1 system.

 

I bought one pair of used speaker on eBay, the guy said it was in perfect condition, but when I got it there were scratches on the back mounting bracket and a chip on one corner. Since you could not see any of it when mounted and worked perfectly, I let it go. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Boilermaker86 said:

That's good to Know. I was really considering getting those but maybe a bit niave thinking since he had the box they would be in good condition. I'm glad you let me know, I might have considered getting those incase I ever wanted 7.1 system.

 

I bought one pair of used speaker on eBay, the guy said it was in perfect condition, but when I got it there were scratches on the back mounting bracket and a chip on one corner. Since you could not see any of it when mounted and worked perfectly, I let it go. 

No problem and glad I was able to help. Chances are, they probably do in fact work perfect but I was some what weary as this individual didn't seem to be 'speaker person' and rather came across these who knows how and is just selling them. Not that this makes a difference but this individuals idea of these speakers 'work perfectly' may differ from what home theater nuts like myself would deem as working perfect. I'm now somewhat bitter about buying used and especially careful who I buy used from. Fooled me once, shame on me...you know the rest haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...