How to choose a DAC?

dtr20

On 2/15/2017 at 1:53 PM, dtel said:

I love my mine and it's the first model, I know they are not a "popular" model but it sounds great, and the remote is VERY handy.

Plus it has a volume knob so it can be used as a pre-amp,( it's how I use it) and very well built.

Dtel, pm sent

• 2 weeks later...

Another vote for schitt I have their modi 2, magni 2 and gungnir. I couldn't be happier and cycled through a fair share of amazon Chinese DACs. 

On headfi they are highly regarded. If nothing else has changed they are 5 year warranty and USA made. 

If you read a bit on the owners of the company, there is quite an interesting story of how they came to be and how they do business. 

12 hours ago, dtr20 said:

So the emotiva fell through, there is a hardware issue and it's not under warranty. Someone recommended this music hall DAC as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Music-Hall-DAC15-2/dp/B0063FN8Z0

Any thoughts? 

Reviews say a lot and when they are that low I'd run. To me the most important thing is company support. Usually reliable equipment goes hand and hand with this. It may cost more, but nothing is worse than coming home after a hard day of work, putting some tunes on  and a puff of smoke comes from one of your components. 

8 hours ago, RSVRMAN said:

Another vote for schitt I have their modi 2, magni 2 and gungnir. I couldn't be happier and cycled through a fair share of amazon Chinese DACs. 

On headfi they are highly regarded. If nothing else has changed they are 5 year warranty and USA made. 

If you read a bit on the owners of the company, there is quite an interesting story of how they came to be and how they do business. 

Ok so I'm considering the modi 2 Uber and the modi multibit, but I don't understand the difference between the two models. I don't know what multibit means in this case. Is it worth the extra $100? 

On 2/15/2017 at 1:38 PM, Schu said:
On 2/15/2017 at 1:35 PM, Steve_S said:

Another thing to consider is can the DAC be upgraded when new chips are available. Wyred4Sound offers this. I just sent my DAC2-DSDse in to them, it will come back as a DAC-2v2SE with the ES9038PRO chip

Did you notice any difference in the upgrade?

On 2/15/2017 at 1:42 PM, Steve_S said:
On 2/15/2017 at 1:38 PM, Schu said:

Did you notice any difference in the upgrade?

I just sent in in yesterday for the upgrade. They will have it by end of day tomorrow 2/16/2017. Hopefully it will be back in my home next week. I will let you know as soon as I can.

Schu, the upgraded DAC arrived on Monday, I've been giving it a listen since it arrived. I'm completely impressed with what I'm hearing, It sounds beautiful!!!...That is the best I can describe it...A big step up from the ES9018 Chip...Would I recommend Wyred4Sound? Absolutely...This is an email I got from Wyred...I'm not having any issues with my unit, but I'm using a MacMini with Channel D Pure Music for play back. I have both pcm and dsd64

Thank you for sending in your DAC for upgrade. We are very excited to be one of the first companies to bring the all-new 9038PRO chip to market. From listening tests, we think it is a significant leap forward in performance, and no less than a groundbreaking achievement in DAC design.

We wanted to address a couple of reports from customers of sporadic and strange issues involving DSD playback. Specifically, while playing a DSD track (DSD256 may be the worst offender) a phenomenon of hissing/low level crackling during playback or pause can be heard. There may also be a sort of white noise and/or other strange artifacts. PCM files seem to be unaffected.

What could be complicating things are a couple of apparent issues with the recent release of Roon 1.3, where some people have experienced very similar issues with DSD playback. This certainly makes it a bit tougher to isolate the cause! However, we have already reached out to the lead designer of the 9038PRO chip at ESS and are working actively with him on looking into this. It is worth noting that not everyone has experienced this issue that we know of, so at this point we’re not sure how isolated it is and if there is a  ‘magic’ combination of factors (or factor) causing this. One of our employees took a newly upgraded 2v2SE DAC home for the weekend and played DSD64 as well as up sampled DSD128 files (via Roon) without incident.

For now, we recommend playing PCM files until we can learn more about this and come to a resolution.

We apologize in advance for any unintended inconvenience, and as always we appreciate your support. We will update you as soon as we have more news.

Thank you.... it's really hard to imagine the dac2dsd see being any better than it is already. I guess I missed out on the discounted upgrade path, but I will keep my eyes open incase they run it again in the future.

I have not really had great luck with dad being played from computers... there is great resolution and detail but the image seems flattened and lacked that indefinable life I look for... and I bought a very  expensive computer with ssd's and high-end processors.

I don't have a music server and I merely play discs from my oppo.

13 minutes ago, Schu said:

I have not really had great luck with dad being played from computers... there is great resolution and detail but the image seems flattened and lacked that indefinable life I look for... and I bought a very  expensive computer with ssd's and high-end processors.

I have both PCM and DSD recordings,...

You are absolutely correct on DSD recordings "at least the ones I have "all DSD64"'. The PCM sound stage is more right in front of you, further left and right of my speaker placement and towards the back of the wall...The DSD recordings "all of them that I have" are inward, Not in your face forward and inside the left and right placement of my speakers, the up against the wall is there with DSD

I was all set to purchase this, just doing more research to make sure I wanted this model. I read a lot on how this will most likely not make much of a change in my CD listening experience. Most of what I listen to is CDs as far as digital content is concerned. I don't have a PC in either of my 2 channel setups. The consensus on the ak thread I was reading is that DACs are used to make your PC sound like your CD player, not to make a CD player better. Thoughts? 

All digital media is... well... digital, including compact discs and computer hard drives.

DACs, or the conversion of digital to analog signals, are an imperative regardless of what the source is.

I do think that a cd player making the conversion to analog signal is slightly handicapped when compared to a good stand alone external dac unit for various reasons. I have an oppo 93 and all I use it for is to gather the information from the disc and send it in unaltered form to my external converter (dac)... nothing else.

It is true, that just because a dac is external does not mean that it will enhance an already good listening experience if the CD player or pre has equal to or better specifications than the stand alone dac.

20 hours ago, Schu said:

I do think that a cd player making the conversion to analog signal is slightly handicapped when compared to a good stand alone external dac

No doubt about it unless the CD player has equal DAC chip(s)/circuit which I suspect most do not. Not to mention the fact that DAC technology continues to improve. A top contender from 10 years ago will have a hard time competing with one of today. 

• 2 weeks later...

I played with the DAC and compared it to the onboard DAC of my denon CD player (analog out). I really didn't notice a difference between the 2. The modi may have had a higher gain volume compared to the onboard, but that's about it. I have started the process for their return.