Three Things I learned about Klipsch Cornwall Today

No Disc

1. A pair of them will just barely fit in my Volkswagen GTI

2. The wife didn't mind as much as I though helping me carry the beasts down the stairs into my listening room

3. I love them more than I knew I would

cwm4.gif

- tb

This message has been edited by tbabb on 09-17-2002 at 10:30 PM

I got lucky today and found a very clean pair of '85 Walnut Cornwalls at my local audio store for $800. Not a scratch on them. They are not my favorite veneer, but since they were so clean I couldn't say no for that price. Got a 90 day warranty as well. Now to figure out room placement..

Cornwall.JPG

- tb

Holy carpet!

Nice to see you get the CW! I might be reviewing a pair of ALK crossovers very soon in a direct comparison with the original Type B in my 77 Cornwalls.

You might be interested in the results (if you switch to some of the older drivers that is).

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-18-2002 at 12:23 AM

fini The carpet helps hide those nasty cabernet spills.

Mobile - Ahem... Care to share with the other BB members your choice of carpeting color?

All jabbing aside, the ALK crossover review sounds interesting. I recall Mike just upgraded his La Scalas with ALKs and the results were very positive.

Whats the link for ordering the ALK upgrades?

- tb

http://www.alkeng.com/klipsch.html

As of now, I have really been prefering the Type B as a very musical xover, due to a growing fondness for oil caps. But I have been talking to Al about setting up a review of the "Type B" ALK units to go in the EARLY CW with the K77 tweeter - I want to hear the difference myself with Hovlands/Solen and inductors to compare. The later series tweeter is not compatible. Does your 85 have the K79 tweeter? I cant remember when changes were made and the CWs have so many variations, it is impossible to keep track of.

This review will involve vintage tubes, EL-34 PP, 2A3 SET, and some hi-Q solid state to round it out.

kh

ps- As for carpet, I prefer wood floors with great rugs. But I am saddled with condo-carpet here as well which is on its way out. IF going carpet, natural strikes me as the best option. You went PLUM crazy! heh.... just giving you a hard time, Tim!

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-18-2002 at 10:25 AM

Just ribbing you Mobile. Ok, we both have some redecorating to do...

Back to the topic at hand...

I had a peek inside one of the Cornwalls at the store, but didn't note the horn types. I noted the expected type B crossover and that the magnets on the woofer and mid horn config looked nothing like Alnicos.

When I have some time this weekend, I'll open them up and take some photos and take some notes of what's in there.

You suggested that I could consider the ALKs if the dirvers are switched with older drivers? The drivers are not a requirement for the ALKs from what I read? Do you feel that the ALKs are not worth going to unless the drivers are replaced first? Perhaps older drivers (Alnicos?) would make a more significant upgrade than the ALKs?

- tb

Heh...it's not powder blue... just condo blue, thankfully a bit darker... from past owner. We just bought the dump this year and are getting ready to ditch the carpet and go with wood. The trials and tribulations of beach furnishings from a rental.

As for the AE-25, that was Chris Robinson's amp that is now in the happy hands of a new owner. If anyone missed that ad I posted 300 times, they are either blind or stubborn! heh....

Deang, what are you cackling about? Those bottom two shelves are the Moondogs. When I said my condo was small, I meant it. ie see refridgerator! Cant wait to redo the place and ditch the early 90s trappings such as the blinds, carpet, and bad kitchen cabinets.

bw.jpg

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-18-2002 at 10:44 PM

Just simply that the ALK Type B xovers only work with the K77 tweeter. If your backs come off, then you are fine. I thought you might have a late enough CW after the 77. Otherwise, the ALK will work.

Here is a graphic I put together showing the various Cornwall crossover options with the ALK at bottom and my fav Type B with oils at top. Want to hear the ALK to compare.

cw_crossovers.jpg

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-18-2002 at 11:30 PM