Vintage turntable

JBCODD

1 hour ago, Mallette said:

My Pleasure, Neil. 

After reviewing and getting over the shock of how real freaks do this at http://www.78-rpm.com/ , calm down.  If you INSIST on playing with a vintage turntable but want to avoid further damage use cactus needles or at least new steel ones rotated out after a couple of plays.  There is a reason those TTs had the new and disposal holders. 

But to be truly shocked at how good they can sound you need a dedicated TT of good quality...in my case, I use an Empire 598 Mark II I got for around 300.00 a decade or more ago.  But any good quality vintage Dual, Garrard, or what have you with 78 will work.  Last time I checked 2.5-3.0 mil styli for Shure M44 and related carts were still available.  I use a Stanton with at 3.0 mil at 5 grams on my Empire.  You'll get VERY nice sound using an inexpensive phono preamp like the http://www.phonopreamps.com/tc778eb.html at 70.00 or so.  The "78" position is a compromise of most of the main curves used during the 78 period.  Bear in mind that acoustic discs use none at all...which explains why they sound so tinny when a curve is applied.  Before I learned this I had read that there was resistance from audiophiles way back when electrical recording was introduced and they said it wasn't as good.  I was clueless and thought them nuts until I heard an acoustic played correctly,  Incredible!  The 1922 acoustic recording of George Gershwin performing his Rhapsody in Blue with the Paul Whiteman orchestra has a bari sax on it that is almost transparent straight to the horn.  One of my favorites! 

Now, if you have the bug after doing the relatively inexpensive steps above, add the RekOKut Re-Equalizer, which is something around 300.00 if I recall correctly.  You'll go yet another level.  It goes between your external phono preamp and line in, and provides almost perfect settings to match all the curves of the entire pre-RIAA period.  While they provide a guide to settings for almost every major level and period I rapidly went to just a "set by ear" method that can achieve fidelity beyond my ability to describe.  I have a mint recording of Gene Krupa with the Benny Goodman orchestra doing "Swing, Swing, Swing" from about 1944 that is electrifying on my K'horns and leaves many who've never heard a properly played 78 speechless.

So, there's the basics.  The engineers in the old days had the technological ability to record, but the playback equipment of the time wasn't nearly as good as the source material.  We can fix that now and it is very rewarding to the music lover.  It allows one to "time travel" and hear great musicians better than they've ever been heard except by those who heard them live. 

Dave

P.S.  SHOULD have mentioned that NO mechanical TT can play electrically recorded 78s with any degree of quality.  They are strictly for acoustic recordings...which, if you think about it, makes sense.  They have no EQ of any kind.  The record in the OPs first image is an electrical recording.

Needles

Victor needles are typically made of steel, and there is one important rule: USE A STEEL NEEDLE ONLY ONCE and then throw it away. They will ruin your records if used more than once. There is a strong abrasive in the old 78 RPM records which, by design, wears the needle, and consequently, saves the record from wearing out. (Needles are cheaper than records!). However, if you reuse a worn needle, you will quickly cut into the groove surfaces and ruin the record. This was true in 1910, and it is still true today. Steel needles are readily available from many sources, including the service companies listed in the SUPPLIERS section. They are usually available in loud and soft tone versions. Call them for prices and availability. 

Years ago, some needles were produced from Fiber or Tungsten materials. Victor manufactured a multi-play "Tungstone" needle in the late 'teens and early 20's. These needles lasted for many playings without the need for constant replacement of the needle. These still show up at auctions and on Ebay in their original small tin containers. They consist of a steel shank with a small "point" protruding from one end. This point is made of a tungsten alloy, which is much softer than the grooves of records. A Tungstone needle may be used to play as many records as you wish until it ceases working (at which time it is worn out and should no longer be visible as a small protrusion from the shank). 

In addition, soft wood-like fiber needles were also available from Victor in the heyday of the Victrola, giving a very subdued sound. These dulled very quickly, but could be resharpened by using a small "chisel" cutter kit. To my knowledge, only steel needles are being manufactured at present. There are no current manufacturers of either fiber of Tungstone needles.

The above is per http://www.victor-victrola.com/Needles.htm. Thanks for the tip about cactus needles. I live in Az and the supply is substantial. Perhaps I will compile a comparative study of various species: saguaro::cholla::ocotillo::prickly pear.

JBCODD

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, JBCODD said:

Perhaps I will compile a comparative study of various species: saguaro::cholla::ocotillo::prickly pear.

Now THAT would be fun!  Do some recordings using a high quality mic and post here for comparison.

Dave

• Like 1

If I had a library of 78s (I don't),  I'd give each disc a Reg Williamson facial and play it on the best available equipment to rip it into a digital file, to preserve it.  It's my understanding that each time a stylus is dragged across a wavy wax, shellac or vinyl surface damage is done to the medium.

3 hours ago, JBCODD said:

The above is per http://www.victor-victrola.com/Needles.htm. Thanks for the tip about cactus needles. I live in Az and the supply is substantial. Perhaps I will compile a comparative study of various species: saguaro::cholla::ocotillo::prickly pear.

JBCODD

The style of music you mostly listen to will dictate the species of cacti that will provide the best or more appropriate needle. Certainly there is a lot of love for the saguaro when mated with a proper arm is magical for acoustic jazz and girls with guitars. For Jumpier music the choice is always the Cholla. At least that is my experience . Yours may certainly vary. 

• Like 1