Vinyl - Record Spinning

Full Range

7 hours ago, Full Range said:

Today I am spinning a lovely instrumental prog album 

Its based on a novel about a Snow Goose, that was nursed back to health 

Restrained and not over the top textures in music and sounds flow through this album 

Artist - Camel

Title - The Snow Goose 

Original DECCA - UK pressing 1975

ID. - SKL-R 5207

1C16CFB4-09D5-4B35-95B9-6A6F56C0D4CB.jpeg

What do think about.. The Decca house sound ?

• Like 2

Had some time for me this evening!

Not too soft, not too hard, remember these guys being thought of as "new wave" and such when they came out.

This LP has a dead quiet background and the music is kinda simple and sparse if compared to symphonic or complex stuff. 

Early (the Best) U2:

Untitled.jpg

• Like 3

•  
  • Edit
  • Watch this page
  •  

...For the Whole World to See

...For the Whole World to See is a studio album by the American band Death, released in 2009 and consisting of various demos originally recorded in the mid 1970s.

...For the Whole World to See
Forthewholeworldtosee.jpg
Studio album by Death
Released February 17, 2009
Recorded 1975;
United Sound [1] 
Detroit, Michigan
Genre Punk rock, proto-punk,[2] garage rock[2]
Length 26:23
Label Drag City
Producer Death

Contents

HistoryEdit

In 1975 the band entered a studio to record a 12-song album. After refusing to change their group's name, Death was turned away by Clive Davis of Columbia Records. Only seven songs were completed and the album was never released.[3] The surviving songs were released as ...For the Whole World to See in 2009 by Drag City.[4]

Just prior to and right after the record's release, the songs on ...For the Whole World to See were performed live by Rough Francis, a band formed by the three sons of Death's original bassist. With the record's critical acclaim and praise from many other musicians, the two surviving members of Death reformed the band with a new guitarist to promote the record themselves.

ReceptionEdit
Professional ratings
Aggregate scores
Source Rating
Metacritic 76/100[4]
Review scores
Source Rating
Allmusic 4.5/5 stars11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_half.svg.png[2]
Pitchfork Media (7.1/10)[5]
Sputnikmusic 4/5 stars11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[6]
Tiny Mix Tapes 4/5 stars11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[7]

Initial critical response to ...For the Whole World to See was positive. At Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating out of 100 to reviews from mainstream critics, the album has received an average score of 76, based on 8 reviews.[4]

Jack White of The White Stripes related his first reaction to the album in a The New York Times article: "I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. When I was told the history of the band and what year they recorded this music, it just didn’t make sense. Ahead of punk, and ahead of their time.”[3]

The song "You're a Prisoner" was featured in the 2011 film Kill the Irishman.[8]

The song "Freakin Out" is played in the main action sequence on the sixth episode of the Starz show "Ash vs. Evil Dead"

Track listingEdit
  1. "Keep on Knocking" (David Hackney, Bobby Hackney) – 2:50
  2. "Rock-N-Roll Victim" (D. Hackney) – 2:41
  3. "Let the World Turn" (D. Hackney, B. Hackney) – 5:56
  4. "You're a Prisoner" (D. Hackney, B. Hackney) – 2:24
  5. "Freakin Out" (B. Hackney) – 2:48
  6. "Where Do We Go from Here???" (B. Hackney) – 3:50
  7. "Politicians in My Eyes" (B. Hackney) – 5:50

PersonnelEdit
  • David Hackney – guitar
  • Bobby Hackney – bass, vocals
  • Dannis Hackney – drums
  • Death – producer
  • Tammy Hackney – photography
  • Jim Vitti – engineer

ReferencesEdit
  1. ^ SoulfulDetroit - United Sound Systems - Great Soul Music Recording Studios of Detroit
  2. ^ a b c Jurek, Thom. "Overview:...For the Whole World to See". Allmusic. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
  3. ^ a b This Band Was Punk Before Punk Was Punk
  4. ^ a b c "Death: ...For the Whole World to See (2009): Reviews". Metacritic. CNET Networks, Inc. Archived from the original on 21 March 2009. Retrieved 2009-03-19.
  5. ^ Moerder, Adam (February 8, 2009). "Pitchfork: Album Reviews: Death: ...For the Whole World to See". Archived from the original on 8 July 2010. Retrieved July 23, 2010.
  6. ^ Butler, Nick. ...For the Whole World to See review sputnikmusic.com. 2009-10-21. Retrieved on 2011-08-14.
  7. ^ Woodbury, Jason P. ...For the Whole World to See review tinymixtapes.com. 2009-02-19. Retrieved on 2011-08-14.
  8. ^ Soundtracks for Kill the Irishman (2011) https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1416801/soundtrack

External linksEdit

Wikipedia

Content is available under CC BY-SA 3.0 unless otherwise noted.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, JohnJ said:

We could have been listening to that instead of the knack in the late 70s:sad:

The Motor City's version of "Clash" or "Ramones"

could you believe... that 3 young brothers.... produced such great music... other than Motown r&b ...

and are and were better ... than the clash or the ramones... who could not play their instruments.. 

and have the power to rock !

• Like 2

I picked this album up a couple of weeks ago adding to the collection 

Genre is jazz / prog rock and no one does it better than these blokes 

Listening again brings back memories of my rebellious youth ( even though I was a good boy ) 

Cool cover art as well 

Artist - Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention 

Title - Overnight Sensation 

US first pressing on Discreet Records 

ID - MS2149

021F8578-A31B-4182-B427-9B3E100CDBD5.jpeg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, dirtmudd said:

could you believe... that 3 young brothers.... produced such great music... other than Motown r&b ...

and are and were better ... than the clash or the ramones... who could not play their instruments.. 

and have the power to rock !

Wow, And I thought you might knock me for not being in total awe of the Ramones... upstate isn't the same as the big city or the isle huh?

Not that they repulsed me, just didn't hear too much being from where I'm from and they weren't that high on my list.

Young brothers like the Kiszka brothers that need to make some more music soon? Hopefully a much better recording too!!

I took in the whole record and agree with the folks at metacritic that think they could have gotten better with experience!

I heard nothing like that in the late 70s, wasn't until Black Flag came to the Milestone in the early 80s that I heard anything similar.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnJ said:

Wow, And I thought you might knock me for not being in total awe of the Ramones... upstate isn't the same as the big city or the isle huh?

Not that they repulsed me, just didn't hear too much being from where I'm from and they weren't that high on my list.

Young brothers like the Kiszka brothers that need to make some more music soon? Hopefully a much better recording too!!

I took in the whole record and agree with the folks at metacritic that think they could have gotten better with experience!

I heard nothing like that in the late 70s, wasn't until Black Flag came to the Milestone in the early 80s that I heard anything similar.

Just imagine if they got a record deal.. They would of changed the face of punk rock... And most likely

Killed disco !

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Full Range said:

I picked this album up a couple of weeks ago adding to the collection 

Genre is jazz / prog rock and no one does it better than these blokes 

Listening again brings back memories of my rebellious youth ( even though I was a good boy ) 

Cool cover art as well 

Artist - Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention 

Title - Overnight Sensation 

US first pressing on Discreet Records 

ID - MS2149

021F8578-A31B-4182-B427-9B3E100CDBD5.jpeg

Wait till you listen too one size fits all.. Unless you already own it..

the bottom end will get those la scalas pumping !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Full Range said:

I have it on digital media - not on record 

But I look out for Frank Zappa when I’m at a record fair 

I missed out on a first pressing...

A while back... I'm pissed that I did not buy it....

• Sad 2