? for mobile

NOSValves

Well as far the Mobile situation you can all believe what you want about why he bought those tubes and also why he never replied to the real subject of this thread. If all of you apreciate the arrogance of Mobile that is your business. I don't care for him at all and in any way shape or form. I don't respect his opinion or the way he replies to only part of a thread or statement as he see's fit. He is also famous for quoting people out of context. Like the floor shaking statment in this thread. We were discussing one aspect of a amp that is important to me and others here. Did I say it was the only important factor NO !!!!!! But Mobile decides to make it the main issue of this thread being the arrogant jerk he is.

What happens between Mobile and I shouldn't effect others on this forum. Like someone said he can defend himself and so can I. I'm done with the arrogant Idiot. I've offered to work on his Amp for free, give him parts for free. Bent over backwards trying to get along with him. What do I get stabbed in the back and then razzed about it on a open forum. Believe what you want. He hasn't purchased a thing on Ebay in 6 months. But then all the sudden he bids on what I'm bidding on Please !!!!!!

Craig

Craig,

I didn't mean to give the impression I was discounting your concerns. The eBay thing is, well -- suspect. However, even if it is true, you shouldn't let it get you undone.

Mobile likes the scapel, you prefer the broadsword. I guess the rest of us will just have to put up with you guys taking pieces of flesh out of each otherSmile.gif

Tips to the parents on this forum...

If you are "potty training" your child and they have an "accident" you can clean their underwear/clothes with mechanics hand cleaner-

I myself use DL Blue label hand cleaner-use about a tablespoon and gentle rub it in vigorously for about half a minute-then launder-makes things as good as new.

GUYS I WILL TRY ANYTHING TO TAKE OUR MINDS OFF THIS AND JUST GET ALONG!!!!!!!!

Jeff

Wolfram, the concept of a sub with the Khorns never occured to me. Thus my surprize to your post. As I've stated before, bass is an important quality of music to me, but I always thought the Khorns were pleasantly addequate. I have found that what is lacking in many recordings is exactly what you said-the bass drum. In rock and jazz, the kick drum, which is an important part of percussion is rarely recorded correctly.

Do you have the Telarc http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=446101918/pagename=/RP/CDN/CLASS/muzealbum.html/itemid=73719 recording of Stravinsky's Firebird? All basses (contra basses and bass drum) sound very nice on this recording and continue to drop my jaw to the ground each time I hear it. Almost sub-sonic! Another example is a recording of John McLaughlin where the kick drum is very clear, sorry, I don't remember which one it is...I just played it a few days ago. If you're interested I'll dig it up. But as you see, I cannot give you many examples, so perhaps a sub covers deficiencies of poor (or poorly mixed) recordings.

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns w/ALK (20' apart!)

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

Veni vidi vici.

This is not the objective here. Let us recall that the purpose of debate is to raise the bar, not lower it. We all recognize that journalism is essentially dead, and that bias is going to skew what is real towards the perceived.

Craig, I admire your passion but it moves the argument away from where it needs to be. Invective is not to be hurled lightly.

Sometimes less is more.

This message has been edited by Chris Robinson on 09-22-2002 at 04:38 AM

Andy,

I don't think that a sub can really cover the deficiencies of a poor recording. What isn't there just isn't! One advantage of a good sub (and I think Rels aren't bad - I'm trying to be objective) is that it makes you hear more of the room/hall the recording was made in. It seems as if some of that information is covered by those frequencies that a speaker on it's own might find difficult to reach (I am sure some technically inclined members here can shed some light).

The CD you've mentioned I don't know, but another impressive Telarc recording is of Orff's Carmina Burana under Robert Shaw (CD-80056). The bass drum in the introductory and final chorus is quite impressive. Another good bass drum one can find on a Copland CD issued by Reference Recordings (RR-93CD). The latter was brought to my attention by reading TAS. I am not really interested in their equipment reviews (too costly and probably too hifi for my taste), but the CDs they mention are sometimes not bad (at least they suggest some CDs which I might not have come accross on my own).

Wolfram

------------------

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers and tubes - for me an extremely musical match.

I hear of a lot of you speaking of Telarc recordings and the excellent bass output. I do agree, I think the Telarc label on the whole does have some amazing bass in some ways. Yet I will have to add that I personally think Telarc does not do as good a job in the highs where many of their recordings, especially the early stuff, is more strident and bright. Additionally, although I have found the lows to be almost shocking in depth, they tend to be more of the "one note" variety without a lot of character. This is more of a generalization but one I find to happen more than I would like. I bougth a host of Telarc classical only to be disappointed after really listening to them as the recording seemed very dynamic, but almost overly so, and not very natural sounding, almost as if slightly hyper-detailed.

To be honest, after I amassed a dozen or so Telarcs, I mostly avoided them unless there was a recording I really wanted such as Ray Brown etc. Ultimately, even though I find them extremely dynamic, they just dont sound particularly natural and bring out some of the more negative of digital in some ways. I will put them on to LISTEN to my equipment occasionally, but rarely do I enjoy the sound of the music via long term listening. I find them rather fatiguing.

kh

Wolfram, I was just really surprized at the concept of subbing with khorns...I guess it's something I would have to hear to even know what it sounds like.

Kelly, the Firebird is the only Telarc recording I have right now. Though I have heard in the past that it was a great label in the vinyl days. I was just impressed with this particular recording and was elated when I found it on CD because this was originally a direct to disk recording I bought not long after I acquired my khorns in 78. I never realized that in addition to the direct to disk process, they digitized it. It's one of those pieces of music where I am listening to the music as well as the system, because the system can deliver the music.

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns w/ALK (20' apart!)

Coming soon: Scott 222D

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

• 8 years later...

I hear of a lot of you speaking of Telarc recordings and the excellent bass output. I do agree, I think the Telarc label on the whole does have some amazing bass in some ways. Yet I will have to add that I personally think Telarc does not do as good a job in the highs where many of their recordings, especially the early stuff, is more strident and bright. Additionally, although I have found the lows to be almost shocking in depth, they tend to be more of the "one note" variety without a lot of character. This is more of a generalization but one I find to happen more than I would like. I bougth a host of Telarc classical only to be disappointed after really listening to them as the recording seemed very dynamic, but almost overly so, and not very natural sounding, almost as if slightly hyper-detailed.

To be honest, after I amassed a dozen or so Telarcs, I mostly avoided them unless there was a recording I really wanted such as Ray Brown etc. Ultimately, even though I find them extremely dynamic, they just dont sound particularly natural and bring out some of the more negative of digital in some ways. I will put them on to LISTEN to my equipment occasionally, but rarely do I enjoy the sound of the music via long term listening. I find them rather fatiguing.

kh

I aggree Telarcs overated more for DEMOIN' impres your buddyes CHECK OUT HE BASS ON THIS ONE MAN! not naturel day in dayout enjoiments

REading this board, you realize how different people listen to music in all ways, including what they look for and what they consider good sound as well as what's important. I see this as being a bit problematic in assessing equipment in a comparitive nature, though not at all in how well one enjoys his or her music.

kh

also amen too this