? for mobile

NOSValves

Craig, will do a bit later today. In an out and I would not want to miss the callSmile.gif

I could also call you. I'll send out my #.

Trying to trak down my tube supplier from Florida.

Those guys never said no to me for any request. It's been about 7 years since I ordered from them.

Will have to get my kiddos soon/25mins from school.

Wife does not get home until after 5.

Have some old U2 going. The sub really rounds out the rock and roll for me with the La Scala's.

If they are indeed 7581's then something is really been modded and most likely not reversable. The 7581 is a Octal tube base and would require bigger holes in the chassis than the 6BQ5. If this is the case I would ask for your money back for sure.

Craig

After looking at the ebay listing for your HF-81 the output tubes do look larger than EL84's.

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 09-20-2002 at 07:47 PM

quote:

Originally posted by NOS440:

Jeff,

I was thinking about loaning you a set of NOS 7189's for the shootout. But this would mean you would have to rebias the output's when you put your new set in after the shootout. Just a thought. I personally don't think they make a big if any difference just thought you guys could see what you think and also have some fun tube rolling. But I will have to have them back !!!! I save all my NOS tubes as a investment I figure its better than the stock market LOL !!!

Craig

Craig if its not that much of a difference sound-wise don't bother sending those 7189s.I'd hate to see something happen during shipment.

Jeff

cwm36.gif

Jeff,

I hear that. I'll just send the New quad then.

I was rained out from work so I spent the day working on your amp on and off. Its sounding real sweet and I haven't even recapped it yet. Just replaced the 3 Multi section Can caps and the Bias rectifier ! She's balanced out nicely and peaks at about 25 watts on my meter which is hard to believe the trannies must be real nice ones to put out those kinds of peaks.

I think the HF-81 better be ready to strut its stuff !!

Craig

REading this board, you realize how different people listen to music in all ways, including what they look for and what they consider good sound as well as what's important. I see this as being a bit problematic in assessing equipment in a comparitive nature, though not at all in how well one enjoys his or her music.

kh

Mobile,

You sure have that right ! That's why for me I don't think Set amps is the way to go maybe I'm wrong but I kind of dought it. My music has to litterally be able to shake the concrete basement floor. Which my amps can do now without much effort at all.

Did you read my tube questions ? I just started testing that power transformer out in the fire trap and it is indeed bad. Its also not the original no wonder the top is off it. WHo ever put it and the SS diodes in sure did a neat job. You really had to look at it close to realize it wasn't the original transformer wiring wise. I hope to get my donor soon and then if I can scoreone more mullard 6CA4 thanks to you I'll be ready to roll !!

Craig

Your music has to literally shake the concrete floor?

What can I say to this?

That is why debating on the essence and quality of different amplifiers is almost pointless.

We arent like two ships passing in the night; indeed, I dont even think we are like two ships in the same ocean.

You are like a Fountain Cigarette Boat blasting out of a Miami harbor. I am the guy in the 40ft Cheoy Lee Ketch feeling like I am in hell.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-20-2002 at 09:31 PM

Yea I know the only people worth talking, listening to or even being the least bit civil to have to either be like you or agree with you and then the utmost have there head burried so far up your a$$ that they can tickle your throat !!! Mobile you are a A$$hole !!!!!

Craig

End of discussion !!!!!!!

This message has been edited by NOS440 on 09-20-2002 at 09:40 PM

Eico's better than Scott, man.

Eico will kick scott's ***.

Scott is a pussie !

Anything sounds great at 110 decibels! What? Huh?

Gee Craig, I don't think he meant that as a insult.

(But maybe he did, WTFDIK?)

Relax, we're all one the same side!

Wink.gifHere's a winking smilie, to let you know that I'm just joking!

This message has been edited by mike stehr on 09-20-2002 at 09:44 PM

I'm completely and utterly sick of his stupid audiophile snobbish comments. I myself think this forum and its member are much better off without the snob. He won't be happy till we all have Moondogs, HF-81's and listen to his elavator music and never post because it may not agree with God almighty Mobile Homeless the end all of audio knowledge !

Oh and just to make something clear Rock and Roll is suppose to be played loud. Have you ever went to a rock concert and left without feeling ear damage ? It takes a great amp to play it loud and still have all the " Air between the instruments and warmth". My god I think I've turned into a audiophile !

Yes Craig, I know you play rock n roll loud.

Yes Craig, I am aware of attending live shows and the harmful effects of tinnitus.

(I have attended a few in my time.)

There is a lot folks here with different tastes in music, are you going to dismiss them because they don't like rock n roll jacked up to 120 db's?

Some of them like Jazz, are these ppl to you just considered burnouts that like 'Elevator Music' with weenie flea powered amps?

And Klipsch speakers and Jazz seem to go together extremely well, I hope you have noticed this in the time you have been posting here.

Big deal, so Kelly Holsten is a smartass, but you do taunt him.

It's the guy's character, don't reply to his posts, don't read his posts, totally ignore his posts, tell him to eat sh*t, but get over it.

Some board members like the guy for recs for amps and such, why should he have to leave?

Some of these board members are more than just headbangers.

But like I posted, WTFDIK.

The gentle bliss of pure unbridled ignorance worn on the sleeve, like an eight year old wiping mucus from his runny noise with his forearm.

If only it was as innocent.

Might is right. Watch the insults come flying with the dexterity of a gibbon with a pinwheel hat or a Silverback Ape at the helm of a French Cutter (I am in a nautical mood this eve).

Craig, I would run a few hundred names of bands that make The Eagles or Bob Seger sound like elevator music but it would be a waste of time, as you wouldnt have heard of any of them. And it really proves nothing.

A few people within here know I actually have more heavy noise bands and serious racket than I do acoustic jazz. Yet it's not always a matter of being able to shake the concrete or bring the walls down. Yes, that has merit but is surely not the end all nor a great arbiter of quality. Acoustic jazz, classical, and acoustic instruments in general, have a valid and important place, and their reproduction does not always involve cracking concrete or shaking walls. Subtle things can have as much POWER as a wall of sound.

Besides, your interpretation of that cigarette boat/Ketch comparison evidently went a bit further than even I intended. If I answered your baiting in here with the kind of rancor you come out with in response, it would be a virtual daily horror story.

As is, it's just another Saturday morning in the lovely 2 Channel Klipsch Forum.

kh

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-21-2002 at 04:48 AM

As we all have different tastes in music, we also have differing tastes in how we like our music to sound. It should still be possible to describe the qualities/differences between amps. Like Craig, I like to rattle the rafters, and that could be with classical music ... or some early Genesis where they use a foot pedal bass. There's dynamics in them thar musics, and I want my amp to be able to handle those transients. As I have been posting questions to learn about vintage tube equipment, that's the information I used to blindly buy an amp via eBay, so I was able to get an idea of whether it will fit in to my listening style based on the many descriptions offered...so it's not impossible.

If one is going fishing, he needs a fishing boat. If one wants a luxury cruise, make sure it's not the Titanic. We ARE in the same ocean, but we each are on a different trip which requires a different ship. But don't insult me if I'm on a speed boat cause I like the speed while you're on a sail boat.

If the above makes no sense, it's cause I definately stayed up waaaaay too late tonight, so just ignore it.

------------------

Andy

78 Khorns w/ALK (20' apart!)

Audire Difet 3 Preamp

Adcom GFA 535 II

NAD 4130 Tuner

Marantz CD 63SE

Pioneer DV 434s>c>

Lovely. Of course, that is not the connotations of my cigarette boat vs sailboat comparison which has less to do with speed and more to do with the way it is carried out (usually with a 120db afront to all others within earshot or wake zone).

In addition, that is all fine and dandy when talking of YOUR taste in music, but when discussing equipment and its sonic qualities, there is much more going on then shaking the concrete. I had a few pairs of solid state 200w monoblocks that shake the concrete fine as well as my PP tube amps when partnered with 100db speakers. But when I am trying to discuss amplifiers partnered with 100-104dB sensitivity speakers, there is not usually a problem, even with 10w amps (hell, even with 3.5w amps to a certain point).

I too, listen to music at extremely high levels more often than not. Playing in bands for years at concert levels (finally doning ear protection before it was too late) makes you want to recreate this. I have a collection of a few thousand records that demand it. But again, I would never pose this as the sole or even the most telling judge of equipment quality. Plop in a 400w Phase Linear amp and you will shake concrete as well. Unfortunately, you will also achieve some of the most unmusical bombast from a horn speaker, in my opinion.

When making equipment assessments, judging the quality of amps, playing LOUD is just ONE of the parameters and a parameter that is met more often than not with speakers rating at 8ohm impedance with sensitivity in the 100dB range.

kh

ps- As an interesting aside here, I was listening to Naked Raygun, Big Black, Dinosaur Jr., etc via the Wailing Ultimate Compilation on Homestead Records, all via my vinyl and 2A3 into Cornwalls setup. I was achieving SERIOUS volume with my heavy duty transformer/outputs amps, these at only 3.5w.... so wattage is only a number really. And shaking concrete is pretty vague in qualities sought after in an amplifier/system.

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-21-2002 at 04:42 AM