Tri-amp/DSP

JohnA

This is one reason why I use McIntosh equipment.  What hasn't been mentioned is the fact you are interfacing pro and home audio equipment to one another.  Some don't play nice.  Just because you can interface them with the correct adapters doesn't make them sound nice together.

McIntosh is one brand that supports mixing home and pro audio.  Just another consideration beyond the connections themselves.

• Like 1

This is one reason why I use McIntosh equipment.  What hasn't been mentioned is the fact you are interfacing pro and home audio equipment to one another.  Some don't play nice.  Just because you can interface them with the correct adapters doesn't make them sound nice together.

McIntosh is one brand that supports mixing home and pro audio.  Just another consideration beyond the connections themselves.

I like to think Integra and higher end Onkyo does as well. May not as well as McIntosh, but pretty good in my book.

I am running an Integra as the pre/pro to the Ashly, to Crown d45s and i think it sounds really good.
  • Like 1

On 3/31/2017 at 5:29 PM, John Albright said:

Balanced cables are also shielded, twisted-pair cables, but the twisted pair are reverse polarity

Just FYI. As far as CMR and noise pickup and cancellation it matters not what signals are on the the two conductors. What matters is that the impedances are matched. It is an audio myth that somehow there is magic that the two signals of opposite polarity on the wires cancel out noise.

20 minutes ago, babadono said:

It is an audio myth that somehow there is magic that the two signals of opposite polarity on the wires cancel out noise.

It's not magic, but it works if they are transformer balanced or really feed into a differential/balanced circuit. Many pieces of equipment don't have an actual balanced circuit in them.

It helps to cut down on EMI and other induced noise on the cable.

16 minutes ago, Marvel said:

It's not magic, but it works if they are transformer balanced or really feed into a differential/balanced circuit. Many pieces of equipment don't have an actual balanced circuit in them.

It helps to cut down on EMI and other induced noise on the cable.

What I'm trying to make sure that all understand is: it is the balanced impedance to ground that performs "the magic" not the two signals of opposite polarity. That is all.

• Like 1