What stereo amplifier to buy with RF-7 MKII?

david.dgc

Hello Everyone, 

I'm new at the forum and I didn't find a topic for presentation, 

So in few lines, I'm from Switzerland, architect and a passionate of music since my childhood.

I'm very eclectic on my taste, I listen a lot of 80's New Wave, Post Punk, Indie Rock, Electronic, some contemporary classic music like Morricone, etc.

One aspect that I like in music is "punchy/present" bass on music.

I have a pair of RF-7 MKII connected by Viard Audio Premium HD HP 2 x 2,5 mm2 to an old Pioneer SA 7100 that my father gave me. This amplifier is not working anymore and I do not want to spent a lot on a repair. So I'm seeking to a brand new amp that could fit these speakers.

The connections needed/suited are a phono connection, a tuner, a CD player, and 1 or 2 lines in reserve to connect my powerbook.

Having in mind the type of music that I listen, what amp could you suggest?

(My budget, could be around 500 - 600 dollars/euros. In fact, I didn't think a lot about it at this time, so I'm all ears for your suggestions).

Kind regards to all, 

david  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Matthews said:

Welcome to the forum, "david".

RF-7's?  To capture the 7's full potential, minimum of 200 wpc power amplifer.

My suggestion, vintage SS :emotion-21:

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

Thank you for your answer, the name of this amp is "vintage SS"?

1 hour ago, david.dgc said:

Thank you for your answer, the name of this amp is "vintage SS"?

No, "vintage" is an era or category and "SS" is for solid state. Vintage comes in many and all flavors. Carver, McIntosh, NAD, Adcom, Bryston, Onkyo to only mention a few. My personal favorite is vintage Yamaha.

1 hour ago, willland said:

Welcome to the forum.

Maybe consider an NAD C375BEE/DAC or NAD 390DD.  Both have plenty of grunt to drive those babies.

Bill

Thank you Bill.

It's very very expensive such an amp, almost the price of the speakers themselves!

It would take me several months to collect such amount.

Do you have another suggestion more affordable? 

7 minutes ago, david.dgc said:

Thank you Bill.

It's very very expensive such an amp, almost the price of the speakers themselves!

It would take me several months to collect such amount.

Do you have another suggestion more affordable? 

Sorry, here in the US a used C375BEE can go for around $700.00 but new they are over $1200.00. 

Bil

25 minutes ago, willland said:

Sorry, here in the US a used C375BEE can go for around $700.00 but new they are over $1200.00. 

Bil

Thank you for your answer, 

Do you think it's a good idea to buy it used? Never know how it has been treated by the previous owner?

12 minutes ago, david.dgc said:

Thank you for your answer, 

Do you think it's a good idea to buy it used? Never know how it has been treated by the previous owner?

I have bought 95% of my gear/speakers on the used market and I would say my success rate is about the same at 95%.  You are right though not knowing how a piece has been treated.

Bill

Hello David and welcome to the forum.  I think it's quite likely that many folks here on the forum don't really know what is available to you in Switzerland or close by to you.  Shipping anything from the US is going to be prohibitively expensive given your budget, so obviously it would benefit you to find a dealer or other source as local as possible to you.  If you could find and then present some options, then I think it would be better for people here to give you a recommendation.  Would it be ok for you to tell us what city or town you live in?

Regards, Jim

2 minutes ago, willland said:

I have bought 95% of my gear/speakers on the used market and I would say my success rate is about the same at 95%.  You are right though not knowing how a piece has been treated.

Bill

Can you please point me to a internet reseller of used hifi material? Ebay?

1 minute ago, jimjimbo said:

Hello David and welcome to the forum.  I think it's quite likely that many folks here on the forum don't really know what is available to you in Switzerland or close by to you.  Shipping anything from the US is going to be prohibitively expensive given your budget, so obviously it would benefit you to find a dealer or other source as local as possible to you.  If you could find and then present some options, then I think it would be better for people here to give you a recommendation.  Would it be ok for you to tell us what city or town you live in?

Regards, Jim

Hello Jimjimbo, 

Yes, sure.

I live at Geneva.

99% of my purchases are made over internet resellers, mainly from UE countries (France, UK and principally Germany). 
The NAD amp suggested by Bill is available on internet european resellers for about 1600dollars. It's expensive, in fact, if any of you can point me to an amp under 1000dollars it would be great!

But i also know that quality has its price, and I accept it. 

For info, my Klipsch speakers have been bought 2 years ago on a french internet reseller for 3000 dollars, around. I know that in US they are normally cheaper, it's the "price" from living outside US (customs taxes), I'm ok with that!

Thank you for your reply.

David, here is a list of distributors of audio equipment that might be able to help you find a retailer or source for good new or used equipment.  I don't know how current the list is, but it's something to start with at least.  If you find a reputable retailer, I would certainly ask them if they have any components that have been traded in that may be available.

http://audiotools.com/en_dist_ch_a.html

And here is a thread from Head-fi (a headphones/accessories site) that discusses sources for good headphones, and these sources might be able to help you find what you are looking for in an amplifier.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631517/audiophiles-gear-in-switzerland

4 minutes ago, jimjimbo said:

David, here is a list of distributors of audio equipment that might be able to help you find a retailer or source for good new or used equipment.  I don't know how current the list is, but it's something to start with at least.  If you find a reputable retailer, I would certainly ask them if they have any components that have been traded in that may be available.

http://audiotools.com/en_dist_ch_a.html

And here is a thread from Head-fi (a headphones/accessories site) that discusses sources for good headphones, and these sources might be able to help you find what you are looking for in an amplifier.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/631517/audiophiles-gear-in-switzerland

Thank you Jim, 

I will take a look.

2 hours ago, Matthews said:

This is in Athens, Greece. The cream of the crop in vintage Yamaha amplifiers (IMO of course). Has a "best offer" option. Perhaps worth your consideration.

I would do a many of things to get ahold of one of these beasts. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201884885090?redirect=mobile

Matt

Thank you,

It seems to be a powerful amp,

and musically speaking, what do you think about it? I'm seeking more musical quality than power itself!

2 hours ago, david.dgc said:

It seems to be a powerful amp,

and musically speaking, what do you think about it? I'm seeking more musical quality than power itself!

I have never had the opportunity to sample the MX-1000.  I have however owned several M-series Yamaha's as well as many other brand, high powered amplifiers.  Hands down, the Yamaha is my favorite amp to date.  This weekend, I will be playing with a Carver amp that a friend loaned to me.  I have heard from others, they are wonderful amps too.

An answer to your question, musically speaking -AWESOME- 

...with all the reserve power you could ever want to pump into your RF-7's   It may not be often but you will crank them babies up ever now and again :)

If you haven't noticed, I am a biased Yammy thumper...

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪