Calling out the Elders of the Klipsch Forum...

Deang

I reached another quandry in my DQ restoration project -- which is actually almost done. The physical restoration is complete, and I getting ready to rebuild the crossovers. The boards are bare and I'm ready to go.

Well, that's the problem. The boards are ugly. Just freaking ugly. 25 year old Masonite exposed to sun and dust. I actually took one and tried to clean it up, but it's pretty hopeless. They are both completely usable, it's just with the rest of the parts looking practically brand new -- the boards are a downer.

So, I got the bright idea of making new boards. I figure, buy some hardwood, use an old board as a template, drill my holes, and get some of those - those - what the hell are those THINGS pressed in the holes. They almost look like pop rivets, but they're not.

Endless hours of searching netted me nothing.

So then, I was told about a place called Mendlesons here in Dayton. It's a closeout warehouse, and the entire third floor is old, very old, very very old electronics parts. It's a huge, hot, confusing kind of place. Stuff everywhere. I spent over two hours in there. It was hell. I was totally saturated when I left...empty handed.

I did find out what they are called though. I found a small box labeled "Solder-ins". They were the right part, just too small. No way I could use them.

So I guess it's up to you genius' to bail me out. Any ideas?

I've attached a picture in the event you have no idea what the heck I'm talking about.

This message has been edited by deang on 09-21-2002 at 06:47 PM

I think I got my solder lugs from Digikey or Mouser.

Like you said, use a peice of hardwood or a thinner peice of MDF.

Lay it out really good and go for it.

Geez, You should have some great sounding DQ's once everything is broke in and over with.

I have a Vifa D25 tweeter that has Dahlquist printed on the back, these must the tweeters they used?

I'm back in business thanks to you guys, especially Al - who went the extra mile and sent me a page out of the Mouser catalog showing me the exact parts I needed.

Mouser is huge - I got lost out there.

Hey Mike, that Vifa is a replacement Dahlquist used when the original Philips driver was no longer manufactured. It's bizarre that someone from this site would actually have one of the keys I've needed for the last month and a half.

No one, I mean, NO ONE -- seems to know the driver Dalhquist used to replace the Philips, and you pop in with this "Vifa" bit.

I ended up getting some Scan-Speak D2010's -- only because that's what everyone else is using for these beasts.

Turns out, it all started with an Engineer at Sonic Frontiers who was looking for replacement tweeters when his finally bit the dust.

The story goes that he literally went through piles of tweeters. It got to the point that several employees at SFI even got involved in the process. When it was all said and done -- it was the Scan-Speak D2010 with a 12 ohm resistor wired across the leads -- that everyone liked the best. So that's what I be doin!

It would still be nice to know the exact model number of that tweeter if you can tell. Any chance the impedance is on that driver?

If you get bored, how about running your multimeter across those leads and telling me what the DCR is.

Thanks!

This message has been edited by deang on 09-22-2002 at 10:30 PM

Vifa D25AG-05, 6 Ohm.

Measuring resistance across each one with a multimeter I get around 4.86, 4.87 Ohms for each tweeter.

I don't think they make the D-25 with the butterfly assembly anymore, they are not a bad aluminum dome, I geuss.

You have Scan-speak now anyway, which is the superior tweeter, i.e. more expensive.

Yeah, I'm bored!

Many years ago, in search of better dynamics from my DQ-10's, I contacted Saul Marantz, who was partnered with Jon Dahlquist. He advised me on active biamp of the speaker and designed an active network which I built. Used 3 Phase Linear 400's to biamp the 10's and run a single DQ-1W woofer. Nice improvement. Still hated the piezo supertweeter though.

You had a pair of Phase Linear 400's driving the DQ10 tweeters and you can still hear? You *CAN* hear, right? Bob? BOB? *BOB* HEY BOB

Also, you were using a 400 on the DQ-1? Did you blow it up, like I did mine with a bridged Adcom GFA555, or did you excercise some modicom of restraint? Smile.gif Were you using the Dalquist active crossover, and if so, ya still got it? Interested in selling it?

Ray, moneyless but curious...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

The Phase Linear 400 was the "voicing" amp for the DQ-10's. Bob Carver actually built these at the request of Jon Dahlquist -- and they are still good friends.

Incidently, the somewhat "etched" highs of the DQ-10 are not caused by the piezo, which doesn't even take over until 12Khz. The problem is the Philips tweeter. The actual crossover for the tweeter is listed as 6000Hz, but with the 1st order crossover, it's actually playing much lower, lower than it should have been.

I was told by Regnar that the issue was addressed with their cap upgrade kit -- and I forked over $160 for $50 worth of caps, just so I could find out what values they changed.

In the end, I decided to go with the original values.

This message has been edited by deang on 09-24-2002 at 11:03 AM

Dean,

"The Phase Linear 400 was the "voicing" amp for the DQ-10's. Bob Carver actually built these at the request of Jon Dahlquist -- and they are still good friends."

I didn't know that. That kind of surprizes me, because I had a Phase 400 for some time back in, uh, some time ago(?) - it was the amp I traded in on my B&K ST140. I never had a pair of DQ10's - I was basing my reaction on what I heard at a friends house, who was using DQ10's with a solid state Mac, don't remember which one... I thought the DQ10's were spitty bright (this was with LP's, keep in mind, might have been his turntable / cartridge setup, I guess). I found the Phase to be very grainy in my system, so I was figuring that the combo of the two would be quite harsh. That's what I get for making assumptions about how a system will sound based on how individual components sound in *OTHER* systems. Redface.gif

Boy, that was a while ago... Phase400.jpg

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I have no idea what to think when I guy who used to listen to LaScalas, calls the DQ's "bright" -- and then has the audacity to blame it in on the turntableSmile.gif

You know, it was probably the cables.cwm35.gif

Actually, they are a little bright, mostly in the presence region. But I like "bright", as long as it's not harsh.

You didn't have your 400 on horns did you? That would have been plain awful sounding.

This message has been edited by deang on 09-24-2002 at 11:55 AM

WE had several Phase Linear amps running PA systems for bands I was in. In my view, they are some of the most grainy amps made and contributed to my dislike for horn use in audio. Funny you mention the B&K ST-140; I had the B&K ST-202 and the M200 Sonata Monoblocks at one time. The little ST-202 was one of my favorite SS amps ever when partnered with good speakers. At the used price of around $300 or so, it is a GREAT deal in SS sound. I think the little 202 sounded better than the 140 although both have a good piece of the tube sound, at least for this price point. Man, the early B&K amps just KILLED stuff like Adcom and any other low priced SS amps. I ended up buying a few ST-202 amps for our college radio station and they are STILL up there. The B&K M200 Monos sounded more refined but there was something about that ST-202 on my Fried monitors that was great.

kh

ps- I said this before, I heard the DQ-10 powered by vinyl, Audio Research SP-8 with good tubes, and a Threshold 100w Class A amp back in the late 80s and thought they sounded amazing with classical.

Phono Linn Sondek LP-12 Valhalla / Linn Basic Plus / Sumiko Blue Point

CD Player Rega Planet

Preamp Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Amplifier Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

Cable DIYCable Superlative / Twisted Cross Connect

Speaker 1977 Klipsch Cornwall I w/Alnico & Type B Crossover

Links system one online / alternate components / Asylum Listing f>s>

This message has been edited by mobile homeless on 09-24-2002 at 11:55 AM

Dean,

I'm sure it wasn't the cables, he was using some wire he cut off one of those utility lights, and the light had always had a warm, yellowish cast...

No, I didn't have KHorns until much, much later, so I never put the 400 on them. I once played one song, one time, on the KHorns using two GFA555 amps in bridged mono mode, one per speaker, but that's another story.

Mobile,

Yes, I agree that the B&K were wonderful amps. The early verions of the ST140, when it was rated at 70 watts, was one of the nicest amps I've heard. Unfortunately, I blew mine up trying to drive a pair of the original series B&W 801f circa 1987, thus the Adcoms...

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System