La Scalas with Phantom center?

Lost240

There is nothing wrong with the heresys I am using right now, its a good match. The only thing is that the LS sound more open, more effortless and larger... but other than that the timbre is a decent match.

On 5/22/2017 at 10:31 AM, Lost240 said:

Does anyone here run their La Scalas in their home theater with a Phantom center?

Not with per say, but as, yes I have in the past. Easy to do and quite convincing so long as, like Carl mentioned, everything is on center. See the video below of my old arrangement. You can hear the dialogue clearly, even through headphones, as if there is a center channel and that it's all projecting from the TV screen (very pronounced as I rotate the camera away from the TV). The trick is to get your screen positioned where the sound is, ie parked evenly between the pair. It works exceptionally well for the interim, but a legitimate center speaker will yield clearer sound. Particularly when a movie sound track gets very busy.

• Like 1

I just picked up an Academy center that I am using while I wait to find a single La Scala. It sounds good, but I'm honestly not convinced it sounds better than just the la scalas. I will have to try this for a little longer to make a decision. It does however sound much better than my RC64II did with these. It is a much closer match.

The Academy wasn't really made to go with LaScalas.  It will be your preference to either dial it in or go with phantom center.  Once you get the center, the Academy should sell for what you paid.  I lived for quite a while with phantom center, it worked quite well.

I once had three Academy's and two LaScalas (still have the LaScalas)

The Academy's were at the suggestion of the dealer.  I guess he didn't realize that had he suggested I get another LaScala when I asked him what the best center would be, I would have bought a LaScala (and I"m kicking myself for my ignorance at the time)

Anyway, the Academy was for me, an epic fail.  Simply got drowned out by the LaScalas.

What about running a La Scala top end, minus the bass section? I have spare drivers and AL crossovers and not enough space under the TV for a full La Scala.. but I could maybe get away with mounting the drivers on a baffle and placing underneath. Dumb idea, considering it's primarily for dialogue?  What impact would it have on the components/crossover by not having a woofer connected in the circuit?