Two Klipsch RSW-15s vs one SVS CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Kain

Which do you think would provide more bass? Two Klipsch RSW-15s or one SVS CS-Ultra (with the SVS SS driver) w/Samson S1000 amplifier?

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Samsung SP55W3HF (55" Rear-Projection 16:9)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

Kain,

I have never heard any SVS subs, but I can tell you this. You wont be dissapointed in the klipsch subs. I have had several people tell me just how impressed they are with the Klipsh subs and at how much punch they have. That is very important to you want a good clean punchy sub not something muddy. Not saying that the SVS are.... But damn boy, these two subs I have are just insane. For the first time now I worry about my neighbors. I mean I did before, but not too much, but with the addition of the RSW-15, good lord, it's just retarted how much sub there is. And that 15 hits low.

Oddly I kinda like the sound of the 12 and the 15 together. I was a little concerned that I woudn't but I think it give my lows a unique sound.

Oh and one more thing Kain... Check it out now... Listen up... You stick with Klipsch subs and you will have a *PURE* Klipsch system as I the m00nMan does. No additivies no preservities, 100% pure Klipsch ubber goodness. cwm11.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

REAR: RC-7

SUB: RSW-12 / RSW-15

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

AMPLIFIER: Harman kardon PA4000

DVD: Harman Kardon DVD-50(DD, DTS)

VIDEO: InFocus ScreenPlay DLP Projector

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOX with Monster cable for that 5.1 Dolby Digitial surroundc>

f>

One problem though, the Klipsch RSW-15 and RSW-10 are not available for export, only the RSW-12 is. Plus, SVS subwoofers give you much more than what Klipsch subwoofers give you for the same price. Not to say that Klipsch subwoofers are bad, it is just the SVS is a better value, i.e. better price/performance ratio.

------------------

Coming soon...

Home Theater:

TV: Samsung SP55W3HF (55" Rear-Projection 16:9)

A/V Receiver: Denon AVC-A11SR (European version of Denon AVR-4802)

DVD Player: Denon DVD-3800

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Mains: Klipsch RF-7s

Surrounds: Klipsch RS-7s

Subwoofer: Dual SVS CS-Ultras w/Samson S1000 amplifier

No export for the 10/15" subs? Wow, that's too bad. Well let me tell you, the 12 aint no joke... I would not pass that up either...

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

SUB: RSW-12 / RSW-15

f>

Dustin,

Above 31.5Hz a single RSW15 fares damn well thank you.Its below the magic 31.5Hz where SVS is in total domination.

Same for Sunfire,they are awesome down to around 25Hz and then drop fast.SVS subs dont drop untill they reach well below 16Hz.The secret is the lack of heavy EQ boost and very large ported cabinets.They fall off gently,and dont even need any bass compensation.

Two RSW15 will give a good deal more punch,look at the Secrets of HT comparo.The RSW15 has huge punch,two would even satisfy on low bass.Even the smallish RSW10 has good punch,but gets washed on deep bass by a Sunfire Mark II.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

I may be wrong here, but for the price of 2 RSW-15's can't you easily purchase dual SVS Ultra's? If so, SVS all the way dude!

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)c>

SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwooferc>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Denon DVD 2800c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

theEARs, reread my post. That is exactly what I said.

A pair of RSW15 subs would easily go louder by about 4dB (outgun, go louder, understand) than a single Ultra. One RSW15 would be a couple dB behind (using the Secrets review a single Ultra would be 112 while a RSW15 would be 110 at just over 30hz). But at 20hz a single Ultra would easily go louder than a pair of RSW15 subs.

Bass reflex cabinets do not fall off gently. A sealed enclosure will fall off at 12dB/octave. A ported one will fall off at 24dB/octave and a passive radiator enclosure (RSW and Sunfire) will fall off even faster than this (depending on the parameters of the PR and the allignment of the enclosure). The Ultra is tuned to 20hz, so it will start to fall off rapidly at that point, not at 16hz (well unless you plug one of the three ports but that will hinder output).

This message has been edited by Dustin B on 09-25-2002 at 01:43 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Orange Peel:

I may be wrong here, but for the price of 2 RSW-15's can't you easily purchase dual SVS Ultra's? If so, SVS all the way dude!

Nope! Won't do it... Must resist infecting my perfect Klipsch entity with a foreign substance speaker. cwm11.gif

I should be the Klipsch/Harman Kardon poster boy!

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

m00ns current toys

SUB: RSW-12 / RSW-15 (feel the sonic waves)

f>

Do it Moon, do it!!!! Wink.gif I infected my system with an SVS, well when it get's here, it's hard I know, but you got to have the best, and that means SVS Smile.gif Just do it, all the other kids are doing it Wink.gif hehe

Dual SVS Ultras, doesn't that sound like heaven??

------------------

Scottc>s>

devil.gif

Goldsmithc>s>

Home Theatre:s>

Klipsch RF-3's (Front Mains)c>

Klipsch RC-3 (Center)c>

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear Surrounds)c>

SVS 20-39 PC Plus Subwooferc>

Harman Kardon AVR-520c>

Mitsubishi WS-65869 Widescreen TVc>

Denon DVD 2800c>

Sony DVD DVP-S530Dc>

Well Orange....

Even if I wanted to, I can't now, I have way to much invested in my 12/15 boom thunder makers to switch now. I have to admit, I would like to hear an SVS.

Nope, I will resist.cwm1.gif

------------------

Klipsch Gear (Proud to be 100% Klipsch)s>c>

* FRONTS: RF-7* CENTER: RC-7* SURROUNDS: RS-7* REAR: RC-7* SUB: RSW-12 / RSW-15 (feel the sonic waves)c>s>

Harman Kardon Gears>c>

* RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520* AMPLIFIER: Harman kardon PA4000* DVD: Harman Kardon DVD-50(DD, DTS)s>c>

Video Gears>c>

* InFocus ScreenPlay 110 DLP Projectors>c>

Computer and Game Gears>c>

* PC Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 4.1* Microsoft XBOX with Monster cable for that 5.1 Dolby Digitial surroundc>

s>f>

The HT-hifi piece was atypical because it included a lot of objective performance data on each unit. So instead of only subjective hyperbole...we get to see the real performance of each unit being tested. The data can be confusing if you aren't used to some of the terms/methods used though.

The rsw15 hit 112.0(25-63hz) when Nousained...and extended to 48hz if memory serves.(which is very good performance!) If anyone is interested in how the Ultra would do if *Nousained*...just check our old 20-39cs numbers...

TV

TV

• 2 weeks later...

Could you tell me how the Klipsch subwoofers compare to the Velodynes. I have two Velodyne subwoofers, 15 inch with 250 watt amplifiers built in?

I am also thinking about adding the RS-7's to my older Klipsch speakers?

Are you happy with your surrounds?

My Klipsch fronts have twin 10 inch woofers, but can't remember the model #. I am thinking about making these my rear speakers and replacing the fronts with the RF-7's. Do you or anyone else have an opinion on this? I bought them about 7 years ago, with book shelf speakers mounted in the back, I believe they are something like 1.5 kg????

I just purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-49tx(160 x 7 watts)AV receiver to go along with my Pioneer Elite projection TV. Thankyou in advance. Steve

1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif

Could you tell me how the Klipsch subwoofers compare to the Velodynes. I have two Velodyne subwoofers, 15 inch with 250 watt amplifiers built in?

I am also thinking about adding the RS-7's to my older Klipsch speakers?

Are you happy with your surrounds?

My Klipsch fronts have twin 10 inch woofers, but can't remember the model #. I am thinking about making these my rear speakers and replacing the fronts with the RF-7's. Do you or anyone else have an opinion on this? I bought them about 7 years ago, with book shelf speakers mounted in the back, I believe they are something like 1.5 kg????

I just purchased a Pioneer Elite VSX-49tx(160 x 7 watts)AV receiver to go along with my Pioneer Elite projection TV. Thankyou in advance. Steve

1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif1.gif

Schmidty,

The RSW15 is not faster then the Ultra,the Ultra has a very flat fequency response down to 16Hz,the RSW is more "peaky" and has some dips and peaks in its response from 100Hz down.This often makes one think the RSW or M&K are "faster".

Take ForrestHump and 101's fave subs 2.gif the Sunfire Signature,its very flat from 60Hz down so often it lacks the upper punch,then a few will say its slow.Not the case,here againits not "peaky".

Think of the RSW15 and a pair of SVS Ultras as the best in TWO WAY subwoofers 3.gif ,the SVS digs deep from 40Hz down and the RSW15 reaches a tweeter like 80Hz(low pass at 40Hz)

LOL