Dented Rf-3 cone

Jolly Roger

I have a pair of Rf-3's that I have had for about 2-3 years. I have took the dust covers off maybe three four times at most. I went to move them the other day to hook up to a new amp I got.(HH Scott 299b) Well, I notice that the cones have a good bit of dust on them. So, I get a dry paper towel to lightly wipe them off. I look at one of the cones and see a dent. I'm not 100 percent positive, but I think the paper towel dented the cone where the paper towel had made a small point when I folded it up. Is that possible? Where the dent was the dust was cleared off. Its a pretty small dent but enough to really tick me off. Its not on the dust cap, its right on the cone. I tried to take it out with a piece of tape, but it didnt help. I'm sure it probably doesn't effect the sound, but I'm really pissed about it, considering how much care I give my stuff. I mean the speakers don't have a scratch on them but yet a dent in the cone. What can I do? Replace the cone? Sigh. Leave it? Sigh. Sell the whole set? Sigh....I can't believe the cone would be that soft. I just cant believe it. Its the only thing I can come up with though. Not that it really matters I guess. If its screwed its screwed....

Dean is right. I would only add that you would be wise not to attempt to remove that dent as the Ceramettalic cone is brittle and not only will you be unable to remove the dent you would likely only damage it further.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

• 2 weeks later...

I think the dent has been there for ever and you just only noticed it now. The cones on the other reference speakers all seem to stiff to be dented by a little dust cloth, unless you were pressing really hard. Plus, on my RSW-15, it seems like you'd have to hit it pretty hard to get a dent in there.

"I think the dent has been there for ever and you just only noticed it now"

Your probably right, its the only thing I can come up with though. I havent hardly had the covers off since I bought them, and I checked real carefull when I got them. Since I dont have kids or anything, I'm stumped. All I can say is I haven't played them once since I found it, thats how disappointed I am. Does it effect the sound? Probably not, but they just will never be the same. Funny, every ref series speaker I've seen for demos, all had beat up cones.(poeple don't watch their kids enough when shopping.) I thought I was more careful than to let this happen. Yep, just won't be the same till its replaced or sold. (even though its pretty small)

Sigh,

Unhappy Camper

Cerametallic cones are very stiff as a whole,they are however very fragile.I poked my lower RF-7 mid-woofer soon after purchase of the first pair.I was in a state of rage.What caused this is a plug falling from the speaker(VCR on top while cleaning and moving things around) and bouncing on the cone!A light weight plug hit the lower right of the cone near the sourround.Its a tiny dent but it shows(AND HURTS EACH TIME I LOOK).

Cerametallic cones cannot be repaired with tape,you will only cause more heavoc around the damaged area.The material has what is called a lack of memory and will not take its shape back.If Klipsch used polyprop or similar materials this would not be a problem(did you see any people complaining about KLF cones ? NO)but polyprop cones will have leser detail and deform at higher SPL.Cerametallic keeps its shape,a almost perfect piston.

Well, the place where I bought these speakers is going to help me out. They're good people and I spend alot of money with them. In retrospect, I think I took it harder than I should have. I just take such pride in my equipment. Thanks for the concern everyone. Sorry I freaked, glad I didn't have to bug Trey. 9.gif

• 4 weeks later...

nah, you didn't take it to hard. I accidentaly pushed in the dust cap on my promedia's and looking at them right now is sending me up the wall!I think if I dented the cone on one of my speakers, I would be saving up to replace it. even when the grille is on, you just look at them thinking, "those speakers aren't perfect, and I can't take the grilles off cause people will see how messed up they are"!!!! 7.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know if this might help, but in the past when I have dented paper cones or the kids got too curious, I used a vacum cleaner with my hand over the exhaust to kind of regulate the suction to pop it back into shape???

Not familiar with the material your dealing with but thought any possiblity would be welcome.

I just bought a pair of the RF3's and one of my speakers has a smal dent upon delivery. I immediately called the sales guys and he sent me another cone. That cone had no dent but I think when he removed it from a speaker he had the hoole on the flange had bee bored out. Needless to say I was livid. I called he back and he said he would have Klispch send me a new one. It better be right. But I can understand your frustration. I bet it was dented when you got it and did not notice it right away.

Mike7.gif

• 4 weeks later...

When I first got my RC-7 center channel, while put it up (those things are pretty darn heavy!), my hand slipped and my thumb jabbed the right side driver, putting a dent in it (and I damn near dropped it)! A friggan brand new speaker - I did not even hook the thing up yet!! I probably yelled every four-letter word in the english language when I did that. I ended up moving that speaker to the rear to act as a rear-center and put the other RC-7 (which I was more carefull with) in the front. I'll live with it for now (and leave the cover on), but eventually, I'll replace the driver.

Just when I finally got over that, only to have my damn left side surround sound RS-7 speaker fall off the wall!! Took a good chunk out of the corner of the cabinet when it hit the floor 14.gif. Luckily, none of the drivers where damaged and the cabinet did not crack or otherwise get compromised. The speaker still worked, but still having that big chunk of MDF missing from the corner is not cool. Unless I can somehow get the thing replaced, I'll end up glueing the piece that came off back in place and fill in any remaining gaps with wood putty and touch it up with black paint. Still will not be perfect. I am like the original poster here. I like to try to take good care of my equipement, especially considering how expensive this stuff is.

Like others said, there is really nothing you can do about dented cones on the Reference speakers. Either live with it or somehow get it replaced. It should not effect the sound.

For removing dust on cones, get a soft paintbrush and lightly brush the dust away.