Help with older klf-20

likesitloud

pull the woofers & horns and then take a rubber mallet and get inside and whack all around the edge of the front and rear baffles. Make sure they are solid. If they are not you will hear the baffle "slap" when you whack it. If they are tight you are good to go. You will want to buy new Crites ti tweeter diaphragms as the stock shiny black poly tweeter diaphragms sound like warmed up crap. If you have loose baffles they can be repaired and  they are well worth the effort. Check them first and see if you are good to go or if you need to make repair plans, not hard to do probably take you a weekend. Any KLF after the first run will be fine as they corrected the adhesive defect, you you have a good chance the ones you have are fine. You will love your KLF20 I do.

• Like 2

Or you could just hook them up and listen to them for awhile first and see what they sound like...

That's a good ol' Rotel receiver; should run them nice. Just play around with the speaker placement...how much toe in, distance from back wall, etc. Being happy or disappointed in them will also depend on room acoustics and what you listen to including genre of music, how loud, what you're comparing them to, etc. Nice find from a thrift store! Which cabinets are they? Good shape? 

Most will have some separation of the front baffle.  You can feel it by knocking the edge of the baffle/motorboard. It will change sound when you hit a spot that has de glued

At best just live with it. You will hear rattles with deep bass...   At worst take all the drivers out, and using rubber mallet , maybe with some heat from  ablow dryer and knock out the motor board, clean up an re glue with urethane clue (gorilla glue et al)

I got mine a year and a half ago , knowing that they need repairs but have not do so yet as you only hear it with deep, usually electronic bass.  

enjoy them!

Thanks for the help, I've been using a Pioneer VST-515 to power them and they sound really good. But I know I can get them to awesome. But don't have a ton of money to spend

I Found what I think is someone old home theater setup, I paid $30.00 for The two KLF-20s A pair of KG2.2 book shelves, an academy center, a KLF C 7,

and a RSW- 15 but that looks like someone kicked both speakers on the RSW-15. they are all oak finish. I hooked them all up an they all work accept  the RSW.

The KLF-20 s sound amazing to me using my old pioneer in a 2 channel mode .I 've not set up the whole system together thought, because I don't know how.

Thanks

David

• Like 1

Yes I did find them all for $30.00,I still can't believe my luck.I have had them for over a year and just got the KLF s hooked up about 5 months ago.I love the way they sound in 2 channel mode,I still can't believe how great What I think are speakers that over ten years old sound! 

I found the pioneer on craigslist, I'm trying to build a nice 2 channel system on a very limited budget.I hunt the local thrift stores and I'm on

craigslist looking all time to up grade to a Rotel the 1057 I found is what I can afford.I've som many audio questions I don"t know where to begin.

David

• Like 1