Adventures with a Thorens TD165

Randy Bey

Yes, boys and girls, I managed to borrow a TT. Yes, it's not on anyone's A list, but it's reasonable and, most importantly, someone borrowed it to me FOR FREE.

Has/had an Ortofon X3 high output MC cartridge. More on that later.

This started with an effort to see why my B&O plastic piece 'o junk TT sounded so muffled; rolled off around 7K, as a matter of fact.

So my friend brings over the Thorens and we cable it up. Lots of problems with the connectors, it is both old crappy RCAs and it's been on his shelf for years and so they are cruddy and old etc. etc. But we finally finish cleaning up and so on and listen to some music.

I have one (!) record that is new, and I chose it primarily because I also had the CD (Tori Amos, Under the Pink).

Well, the sound between the TT and the CD is very, very different! No, the treble is not rolled off (but neither is it as bright as the CD). The mids are to die for, and my general impression is favorable. If a mass-market TT can produce this kind of result, w/o proper setup, etc. then my mind boggles at the eargasms to await with good quality stuff competently set up.

So my friend leaves and I decide to prove how competent I am at setting up TTs. I of course have not done anything of the kind for several decades.

Well, I slip on the cartridge alignment protractor from www.enjoythemusic.com and when I set the arm down I notice something; the cantilever is at a 45 degree angle and practically touching the cartridge body.

Undaunted I gently realign the cantilever with my fingers and redo the alignment. This time the cantilever slants the other way, just as far. Yech. Is this what they mean by a compliant catridge I wonder? I have never had a MC cartridge before, I should say.

So I adjust the VTF and the AS, and get ready for a tune. Spin up some Reuben and the Jets, and cue up the tonearm. The tonearm gently settles down on the record, the cantilever again angled horribly and the cartridge body practically touching the darn record.

I think, (genius that I am), that 1 1/2 grams is too much for the Ortofon, so I change it to 1 gram and recue.

This time the tonearm skitters across the record in three big bounds. Closer examination shows that the cantilever is broken off and enjoying a little ride like a merry-go-round on the edge of the record.

So, wha' happened? I need to get a replacement, that much is apparent, but what if I put a new cart on there and get a repeat performance?

Maybe I should haul it down to the needledoctor, but he charges you $10 just to walk in the front door.

I doubt that the turntable's setup had anything to do with the broken cantilever. The cantilever would have been severely weakened when it was bent the first time and further weakened when you bent it back. You should be able to replace the stylus w/out incident.

------------------

It is meet to recall that the Great Green Heron rarely flies upside down in the moonlight - (Foo Ling ca.1900)

I have snapped off two cantilevers over the years and there is nothing more sickening. I did it to an NOS Ortofon GT-15 (sort of a "naked" SPU) a few years back and ended up spending $300 to have it rebuilt. OUCH!!

Welcome back to vinyl. The T****ns 165 is a decent table and you can get a lot of pleasure out of it. For a hundred bucks (that's what a nice one is worth), it's really pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to beat. I'm guessing you have the TP-60 tonearem which is a real POS--an upgrade is possible here, but only worth it if you can score something better CHEAP (highly unlikely these days). The days of finding a mint SME for $40 are OVER!

I have always had problems with Grado cartridges and I would reccomend that you avoid them. In so many applications they HUMMMM like a banshee. They are more warm and musical than the POS Shure V-15 (I hate those too!), but aren't worth the trouble. I know that sounds crazy from someone who has reccomended DECCA cartridges, but those ARE worth the trouble becasue they are MAGIC when you get them right!

Anyway, if you have about a hundred bucks to spend on a cartridge and you are afraid of the "used" market, I'd buy a Goldring 1006. It's really easy to set up and is a good all-around performer--perhaps a bit on the aggresive side, but if you like Klipsch, you're already OK with that! You can upgrade the stylus on this one too (with a 1022 or 1042)!

If you don't mind a gamble on a used cartridge, I'd reccomend something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1383899403

This will sell for about the opening bid price and will kick *** on anything for twice the price new.

Randy:

Glad to hear you were at least getting a few "eargasms" with that setup.

I just sold my TD-165 to a guy in Texas. Your description made me think it was my old one. Same crappy connectors, but different cartridge.

It is not a bad table for what it is, and there are lots of tweaks and setup help over on the AA board, if you search T****ns TD*. There are several specific T****ns related web sites that can offer a lot of help.

I am now very happy with Jazmans Ex TT - Rega3.

Jobman

Yes, I've seen that XC5 on ebay, and am 'watching' it.

I am leary of buying used because of what just happened. What if the seller wants to unload a cartridge with a cantilever thats about ready to snap?

I found a new XC3 for $99 on the web, and am thinking about that.

The XC5 does look tempting though.

----------------

On 9/27/2002 6:27:17 PM Allan Songer wrote:

They are more warm and musical than the POS Shure V-15 (I hate those too!), but aren't worth the trouble.

----------------

I have a number of Shure V15 Cartridges and like them a lot. I have a Type III L-M, Type IV HS and a Type V-MR. I think it is not only warm and musical, but dead quiet as well. The combination of the Scott 299 w/Dual CS-5000/Shure V15V-MR and La-Scala's w/ALK's is truly amazing. I never listen to CD's any more. The great thing about the Shure cartridge is you can send in the old stylus with $20 and get a new one in it's place. Try doing that with your Ortofon...

Mike

Ooops! Didn't mean to offend anyone with a V-15! I know they have a great re****tion and are loved by many but I have always found them to be rather dry and strident. Of course, you all know I revel in the lush, romantic midrange realm of the SPU and the Decca London, so I guess that's no surprise! I take back the "POS" comment--the V-15 is certainly NOT that!

I agree that having a replaceable stylus is a wonderful trait--that's one reason why I suggested the Goldring 1006.

Nice. An upgrade in forum software that is:

1. Harder to read

2. Harder on the eyes

3. Cantankerous - and less intuitive. At least it's faster.

Not quite like listening to ye olde klipsch for the first time, eh? Guess it might make me come here less which is always a positive thing considering the amount of time I throw out the window...

kh

ps- vinyl is dead; long live digital!