Elon's "BFR"

Mallette

On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 6:12 PM, Don Richard said:

Isn't it amazing how 4 billion in government money can help the bottom line....

At least SOMEONE in our government still has a lick of brains and understands the massive ROI of all the money we invest in space.  Worst estimate on Apollo was 5 to 1, with many going MUCH higher.  Best money you and I have spent in years, both for our economic future as well as national security.  "He who holds the high ground..."

Dave

Keep on smirking, skeptics.  Just read an independent poll that said over 30% would fly this thing FIRST FLIGHT, over 60% with 1k-5k accident free flights, and over 90% with over 5k flights.  Seems the public has a lot of faith in Musk.    

I'd go first public flight if development goes without serious loss that is not fully explained and fixed.  Bear in mind these won't be experimental like all Shuttle and ISS missions are...it will HAVE to be certified first just like any passenger plane.

Dave

read an article about all the financial ramifications of automated vehicles.  Stuff like, cities that depend on the revenue from traffic citations, travel centers along highways would suffer because of less fatigued drivers, even less emergency response personnel needed as they predict far fewer traffic accidents. 

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

read an article about all the financial ramifications of automated vehicles.  Stuff like, cities that depend on the revenue from traffic citations, travel centers along highways would suffer because of less fatigued drivers, even less emergency response personnel needed as they predict far fewer traffic accidents. 

Just like with robots replacing factory workers.   

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

That's because you have it wrong.  There are too many workers without the desired skills.

That's what they keep telling us as they import more and more foreign labor.  I'm not buying it.  If skills pay, Americans will learn them.  I am more inclined to believe our society doesn't want to pay fair value. 

8 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

That's what they keep telling us as they import more and more foreign labor.  I'm not buying it.  If skills pay, Americans will learn them.  I am more inclined to believe our society doesn't want to pay fair value. 

You could be on to something...

13 minutes ago, Jeff Matthews said:

compared to the same job preformed by someone elsewhere?  Honestly, i have no idea how our average salaries compare to the rest of the world. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Matthews said:

Cool!  Still waiting on my autopiloted car.

Jeff, you TROLL!  Not biting.  Let's just say if you are waiting on a Tesla 3 it's like to be another year or two as they are about 150,000 other in front of you.  Besides, that technology has advanced twice as fast as my generally poopooed most optimistic estimates of 2 years ago.  

Might add that the BFR technology is far beyond my most optimistic hopes for space in my lifetime, but will put it where I would have expected it to be by now if this nation had not ditched space as a priority when the Apollo program was cancelled, along with the other initiatives, in favor of the DOD's shuttle plans.

Dave

1 minute ago, Mallette said:

Jeff, you TROLL!  Not biting.  Let's just say if you are waiting on a Tesla 3 it's like to be another year or two as they are about 150,000 other in front of you.  Besides, that technology has advanced twice as fast as my generally poopooed most optimistic estimates of 2 years ago.  

SCW

I'm only lightly trolling.  You know I'm a fan of technological advancement.  I still want my autopiloted car...

1 minute ago, Jeff Matthews said:

I still want my autopiloted car...

So order it...  Just don't take a nap at the on AV mode like the Tesla driver who defied the instructions and stupidly got himself killed.  It's ready to take over, but still needs somebody alert and ready to take over until the manufacturer's say it's ready for full, untouched, control.  That will not be long but it isn't yet.

Dave

We are just lucky to be here.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/the-universe-should-not-actually-exist-scientists-say/ar-AAu227S?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartanntp

The universe as we know it should not exist, scientists working at CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, have said.

As we know it, lol.  What else would we know?