Sansui 9090db and Palladium P37f's

wstrickland1

I scored a very nice 9090db a while back (Willand was very kind to deliver it to me) and it's pretty much sat since February. Lots of stuff going on so time has been scarce. I bought a new pair of LSII's to go with it but they turned out to be too big so they're staying downstairs. A few weeks ago we took the Palladiums up. They fit perfectly. Then needed a stand so had to wait for that. Got that and hooked it up this weekend. Using a Pioneer PL 530 turntable and a Toshiba HD-A2 for CDs I was able to finally see how the receiver and speakers played together. The result can only be described as astonishing. I was going to use a Martin Logan Depth sub but it is totally not needed. I have never heard bass from these speakers as I have with this receiver and in this room. Very intense with everything from Nina Simone to Black Eyed Peas to The Beatles. Even some heavy bass type hip hop (just for testing purposes ;) ). I'm very impressed with this combination. It is clearly my favorite at this time. 

Thanks again Willand for helping me out with the receiver.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I once had a Sansui 8080 and loved it, wish I still had it. I do have a HK 930 and it sounds like I remember from the Sansui, there is just something about the old receivers that they seem to have a great sound to me. 

• Like 2

Bet it does sound great. I had a chance to hear them one time , I met one of the engineers who designed or help design the crossovers for them after he left klipsch he had moved here to Lake Mary for short time in between jobs . I was there to buy two rc64’s from him and bought a few other items from him and they sounded great. I could not believe so much pure, clean sound could come out of a speaker like that. It was only then I understood why they cost so much. I left with a big smile in my face after spending a few hours listening to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing bill does great is hooking people up with top notch audio gear, I call him from time to time for his advice and direction for selling or buying items
He is a wealth of knowledge and support. Thanks for all your help Bill

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

9 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

(Willand was very kind to deliver it to me)

9 hours ago, wstrickland1 said:

Thanks again Willand for helping me out with the receiver.

8 hours ago, carlthess40 said:

One thing bill does great is hooking people up with top notch audio gear, I call him from time to time for his advice and direction for selling or buying items
He is a wealth of knowledge and support. Thanks for all your help Bill

You guys have to stop.  My head is about to explode.:wacko::D

Seriously, I appreciate the kind words.  I am just one of many who try to give back to the great folks on this forum because I have been given much by these same folks.

Bill

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

It's interesting how certain models of gear can make that much of a difference in sound. What other power sources have you connected to your P37s? Great thread btw!

Incredibly they have been connected to some pretty good equipment, but in a different room. I had them running with a McIntosh C2500 Preamplifier and (4) different amps; a McIntosh MC275,  a B&K Ref 200.2, a Carver AV 806x and an Adcom GF545II. Sources were a much better turntable (VPI Scoutmaster w/ Benz Ruby III MC cartridge), Tidal thru the C2500's dac and CD/SACD thru a Denon DVD 2900, both thru the player's dac and the C2500's dac.  Even with standard CDs on an emergency HD DVD player (my other 2900 is undergoing belt surgery) the sound is superior in every way. 

I'm convinced the room has a lot to do with it but there's no denying that the Sansui and the Palladiums are an extremely good match. Also my PL 530 w/ Shure M97xe cartridge has never sounded this good. I have always been fond of this unit and it matches up with the Sansui better than anything I have used it with so far, which includes the C2500 with adjustable loading phone stage. 

32 minutes ago, willland said:

Seriously, I appreciate the kind words.  I am just one of many who try to give back to the great folks on this forum because I have been given much by these same folks.

Bill

I'm embarrassed it took me 8 months to get around to messing with this thing!!!

52 minutes ago, willland said:

Bill

I will add....you are probably the most helpful person around here, always welcoming new folks.

23 minutes ago, wstrickland1 said:

Incredibly they have been connected to some pretty good equipment, but in a different room. I had them running with a McIntosh C2500 Preamplifier and (4) different amps; a McIntosh MC275,  a B&K Ref 200.2, a Carver AV 806x and an Adcom GF545II. Sources were a much better turntable (VPI Scoutmaster w/ Benz Ruby III MC cartridge), Tidal thru the C2500's dac and CD/SACD thru a Denon DVD 2900, both thru the player's dac and the C2500's dac.  Even with standard CDs on an emergency HD DVD player (my other 2900 is undergoing belt surgery) the sound is superior in every way. 

I'm convinced the room has a lot to do with it but there's no denying that the Sansui and the Palladiums are an extremely good match. Also my PL 530 w/ Shure M97xe cartridge has never sounded this good. I have always been fond of this unit and it matches up with the Sansui better than anything I have used it with so far, which includes the C2500 with adjustable loading phone stage. 

It's rewarding when it all comes together, especially when a 30 year old receiver makes that much of a difference. I am a huge Palladium fan, and I know they are finicky with power, placement, and room acoustics, but when you get it right, they're hard to beat. (I'm hopefully working a deal on a P312w):D

1 minute ago, Ceptorman said:

It's rewarding when it all comes together, especially when a 30 year old receiver makes that much of a difference. I am a huge Palladium fan, and I know they are finicky with power, placement, and room acoustics, but when you get it right, they're hard to beat. (I'm hopefully working a deal on a P312w):D

I almost forgot about the P312w. That was also in the other system with the P37's. They STILL sound better with the Sansui and no sub. Just for kicks I may add in the ML Depth in there tonight, which is a fine sub, esp for music. I already have that heavy little monster up there so may as well. You need to grab that P312, you'll love it. The one I have is working with my LaScala IIs right now.

And I believe that receiver is soon to be 40 years old......

1 minute ago, wstrickland1 said:

I almost forgot about the P312w. That was also in the other system with the P37's. They STILL sound better with the Sansui and no sub. Just for kicks I may add in the ML Depth in there tonight, which is a fine sub, esp for music. I already have that heavy little monster up there so may as well. You need to grab that P312, you'll love it. The one I have is working with my LaScala IIs right now.

And I believe that receiver is soon to be 40 years old......

That's amazing they sound better with the Sansui and no sub! I might have to check out some vintage receivers. 

I have a pair of P38s, they were powered by a 10 year old Yamaha AVR, sounded nice. I now have an Emotive pre and XPA-2 powering them, what a huge difference that made, especially the low end. The sub will be used for both HT and 2 channel, but the HT needs the low end help more.

If you can find a Sansui 8080 or 9090 GRAB IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  

The only issue about it is I know that one day I will need some expert service on it. I read a ton of info about them last night and in particular the "db" versions. While they are considered to be more top of the line with a bit more power (better power supply), etc., the Dolby board is problematic. It's not a matter of if but when. Mine is functioning perfectly right now but again it's 40 years old. My goal is to never move it again until something breaks! For now it's totally amazing. 

• Like 1

So the belt arrived for my Denon and miraculously I was able to do the job. It's a bit more tedious on a 2900 than some but all went well. Listened to Dark Side OTM on SACD and was thoroughly impressed. Next for the room is getting a proper dac for the Imac. I'm considering an Oppo Sonica as it's also a streaming device.  This is fun.

The receiver has a nice feature for hooking up a sub. It has the standard pre-out/main-in with jumpers of course, and there's a second set of pre-outs. I hooked it to the stereo line level input of the Depth sub and it worked beautifully. This sub is really a nice match with the P37s. It has (3) active 8" drivers, servo controlled and is -3 db max @ 20 hz.  It is a very nice addition. Low pass is set at 65 hz. Here is a pic of the setup for now. I have a long way to go in there; paint, a small computer desk, etc

Den.jpg