Initial Impression of Oppo 203

derrickdj1

I recently brought the Oppo 203.  Oppo players are consider to be some of the best players on the market for HT and music.  I put this on my HT/2ch setup to compare it to my Samsung BD F7500.  The Oppo is bigger and heavier.  The Samsung is more space friendly.  Setup is about the same.  Neither difficult to navigate.  Both players are 4k UHD capable.

Samsung BD F7500                         Oppo 203

PQ                                  5/5                                                       5/5

SQ                                   5/5                                                      5/5  This held true for HT, 2 ch on SS and tube gear

Streaming                      5/5                                                     0/5

Analog output.             7.1                                                       7.1

Build Quality                  5/5                                                     3.5/5

Speaker setup is similar with distance, small vs large and level setting.  The Oppo does offer SACD use which is not offered on the Samsung.  The Oppo is more of a stand alone unit if needed.  Both players do 3D well on the projector and TV.  This is my initial observations and differences between the players.  The Samsung player was the Flagship several years ago when I purchased it.  I think the price was around $ 300.00.  The current price for the Oppo 203 is $549.00.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, derrickdj1 said:

Build Quality                 Samsung  5/5                                     Oppo  3.5/5

Now this is a bit surprising considering the Samsung tips the scales at 2lbs and the Oppo at 9.5lbs.

Bill

• Like 1

You didn't broach the subject of HDR10 or Dolby Vision capabilities... that is the most important thing in my humble O since I don't allow my player to process any 2 channel music... though it does for 5.1 music.

My 203 experience,  I have a region free (on the fly) player, is one of extreme satisfaction... and this is even though I am still 1080p. There is so much more dynamic range in my picture representation over my old 93.

I am very happy with my purchase and eagerly await a 4k monitor.

25 minutes ago, willland said:

Good point but I can't bash them too much because they replaced my dead 2012 59" plasma with a 2016 65" 4K LED LCD.

Bill

I remember that Bill and was very happy for you how it all worked out. Every instance where I have contacted Samsung has been a nightmare...smartphones, monitor, chromebook

I have not had the Oppo for a full week yet.  I can't comment on the HDR or Dolby Vision.  The HT system does not have a 4k TV or Projector.  Those are future projects, lol.  I plan on watching the latest Transformer movie this week.  I did watch Ghost In The Shell and the PQ was great on both players.  I will be playing with more setting and seeing if I can do any additional tweaks.  

I bought a Sony UHD 800 due to always having Sony branded bluray players with no issues. Had it a couple weeks, returned due to locking up, not reading disks. Took the plunge and bought an Oppo 203. Couldn’t be happier. Once I got all the settings right, and my 2015 Sony UHD TV said it had a HDR10 signal, I was really happy with the picture. I don’t know what Oppo does with the video processing, but it was a noticeable difference from the Sony UHD player.

It doesn’t have the apps like the Sony player does, but it has an HDMI in that I plugged my Roku Premier in. 

Then I put a music CD in there. Used RCA cables from the Oppo to the preamp.  It sounds amazing. I don’t know how an expensive CD player would sound better. The video and audio processing in this can’t be beat. I wonder how much better the 205 is, but for another $800 , I think I’ll be happy with the 203. First Oppo, I’m impressed.

Didnt want to spend 549 for this, but I’m glad I did. The Oppo is supposed to upgrade to Dolby Vision, but my tv is not capable of handling a Dolby Vision Signal.

• Like 1