Will this work?

G-Rod

So it's time to upgrade my baby HTIB.  Thought about this a year and a half ago, and let the wife talk me off the ledge.  NOW, I'm calling the shots.  I think.  LOL!  I'm undecided though on if I should go with the 260 system of the 280?   My living room size is 11'x 17'.  I KNOW I could get away with the 260 system, but in another year, don't want to be thinking, man I shoulda just went with the 280's.

I've also thought about basically the 280 system with the 260 towers since the specs are virtually identical, but had a guy at Nebraska Furniture Mart tell me the 260 won't blend right with the 450C .  But was wondering if he was just trying to up sell me the 280's.  

Also thought about just 2 12" subs with the 280 system too, although seems like everyone here is always "go for the 15's!"  They are just SO HUGE.  

But with the special Klipsch has right now with free subs, I could tie up a little money and get with entire RP-280 System with 2 R-115SW's for about $2,800.00.  Whereas pieced out it would be $4,493.00.

This will also be some what temporary until we move and I dedicate a room to a home cinema.  Then THAT will be balls to the wall.

The 15" subs move a LOT more air than the 12's and to be honest, are not that much larger, a few more inches in either direction.

I've never heard the RP-280 package so please take the advice of those who have them or have heard them.  In general I've found I like larger speakers as they will give you a larger sound stage effortlessly.

If your gonna move in a little while and do this again, sit on your money and buy a 3.1 sound bar, for now.  Try to use your HTIB sub, unless it is actually dreadful. 

In the new place, go for it.  For that system, do your best to get at *least* 2 subs with strong output down to 20 Hz. 

Best Buy and others have usable 3.1 sound bars.  Sadly, i don't see a 3.x Klipsch sound bar. 

Sorry John, just now saw your post.  I've already pulled the trigger.  I'm not hurting for money too bad, so when I get moved, and decide to do a full cinema, I would probably sell this stuff off and put that money toward a new setup.  

Went ahead and went balls to the wall.  Got the RP-280 system with free 15" sub, and got a second 15 for $350.   Basically got everything you see here for $3,000.00.  Now I get to figure out how to set it all up to play right.

Klipsch.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, G-Rod said:

Went ahead and went balls to the wall.  Got the RP-280 system with free 15" sub, and got a second 15 for $350.   Basically got everything you see here for $3,000.00.  Now I get to figure out how to set it all up to play right.

I think you made a smart investment with a high quality setup right off the bat.  Too many people buy cheap and then have to upgrade piecemeal which ends up costing more in the long run.

What AVR will you be using?  I don't think I saw that listed anywhere.  Also, are you good to go on what kind and type of speaker wire to use and banana plugs?

When you get it all set up, post some pics.  Congrats on the new speakers!  

I have a Denon AVR-X1200W that I will be using.  

I'll probably go with 14-16 guage speaker wire.  I could probably use some recommendations on a good sub RCA cable.

And I'll probably be back with questions or searching the forum on setup and calibration.

Yeah, use 12 ga speaker wire.  Overkill in some cases, but it's not much money and there is no such thing as too little resistance in a speaker wire.  Don't bother with uber expensive wire.  I'm running 11 ga braided teflon CAT5e and could not detect a difference over decent 12 ga.  But they measure awesomely!  :)

• 2 weeks later...

So I got all of this stuff set up, now how do I calibrate it?  I have all my crossovers set at 80hz which seems to be the standard?  How do I match gains on the subs?  From what I've gathered from reading, I have to use an SPL meter?  I downloaded one on my phone, which I know is not the most accurate, but trying to use it.  So do I just play like a certain frequency sine wave with each sub alone and turn the gain dial until I get the same DB reading on this phone meter?  I've tried that with a continuous 40Hz sine, but one sub, by ear seems to be louder than the other. Say there's 10 hash marks on the gain dial, one sub is at like 7, and the other is at 10, and the 10 sounds like it's working harder than the other, but they match SPL on the meter.  

How about setting speaker levels? FL, C, FR, LS, RS?  How do I get everything to blend together?

On 10/26/2017 at 7:37 AM, G-Rod said:

I have a Denon AVR-X1200W that I will be using.

Run the Audyssey program with the microphone that came with your receiver.

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrx1200w

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX1200W/NA/EN/GFNFSYhguxmdhl.php

http://manuals.denon.com/AVRX1200W/NA/EN/GFNFSYnuokgukf.php