Blueberry Xtreme - NEEDS REPAIR

rplace

Make no mistake this preamp is currently not working properly. It needs work

I've owned it for it's entire life except about the first 6 months and it has served me well. It sounds or should I say it sounded amazing. It has the $500 cream option which is high quality Jensen SUTs for Low Output Moving Coil cartridges.

Until that last few days it was working perfectly. It develop a clicking noise when it first turned on where sound would cut out briefly. After warming up it seemed to go away. I got a tip on how to fix this common Blueberry problem by tightening the screws by the football shaped thing in the first picture below. That seemed to work. A day or two later the black square thing that the yellow arrow points to in the same picture let out a puff of smoke and had that nasty electrical smell. Currently all the tubes power up and it will make some sound on and off briefly but it really clicks a lot and cuts in and out. I've not turned it on since this. I think that black square thing is the Bridge Rectifier. I don't know much about the inner workings of a preamp or much electronic. Please ask any and all questions. I'll do my best to answer what I can.

I'm hoping to find a DIY or tinkering guy that knows what they are doing to bring it back from the dead or can salvage parts to save it from a trip to the land fill. As previous said it was working perfectly just a few days ago. This is the one of the latest offerings from Juicy Music with the  nicer (in my opinion) brushed metal face and remote.

I truly have no idea what it is worth so if my asking price is out of line please make me a reasonable offer. I think $500 is a good starting point. What ya think?

Included in the sale is the BBX Xtreme preamp, remote, original paperwork and the following tubes

• Ei 12AX7EG  
  • Ei 12AT7EG
  • EI 6DJ8EG 
  • USA 12X4 RCA DK 
  • JAN 12AT7WC Philips ECG8826 AJM 34167 

IMG_20171223_153436195.thumb.jpg.fbe29be259169fa751e2bba1b2d4ccfc.jpg5a496311a4b28_IMG_20171219_112309207(Medium).thumb.jpg.f1ccb69400e5ff5dcc19ccac6b827f0b.jpg5a49636949318_IMG_20171219_113240827(Medium).thumb.jpg.90cda5d0a035efdac89eab4ada4dd3f0.jpg

18 minutes ago, Deang said:

I thought Craig worked on these?

I can't speak for Craig. I've been eyeing a different preamp form the frozen regions of Canada. Maybe you are familiar. Seems like this recent development has made the decision for me. I've really enjoyed the BBX hopefully it can find a home with a guy that knows his way around a soldering iron. My back up plan if nobody is interested as is will be to salvage the step up transformers and build my own external phono stage. Free time is non-existent for me but some day I'll make time. Id rather see it go to a good home. Seems like a guy that makes XOs would like to play with this, no? Just 'sayin;)