Jump to content
The Klipsch Audio Community
Sign in to follow this  
charles m

Looking at a new receiver

Recommended Posts

I wasn’t for the Yamaha it just didn’t sound that 

great as I heard it . Each to its own 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Marantz is a great brand. That setup looks Awesome. Nice storm trooper. I just watched force awakens again in 7.1, sounded great on Klipsch speakers. Love the reference line. The RF-7ii’s are ridiculously clear and lively. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do you like the RC-64ii? I’m debating on saving a lil $$ and getting it or, upgrading to the RC-64iii. I eventually will want to get the RF-7iii’s, I think I’m making the jump to the mark 3. Also, what you think of those Hereseys? As good as RF-7’s?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They all sound great , at times you would want

to stand and light your cigarette lighter in the air lol 😂 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be money well saved 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 6:00 AM, willland said:

Maybe 140 in stereo but more like 50w/ch@8ohms with 7 channels driven.

 

Bill

 

Right on.

 

This graph shows that the RX-A2070’s left channel, from Audio1 input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads. Measurements for THD+noise, crosstalk, signal-to-noise ratio, and analog/digital frequency response were all within expected performance parameters. Full details available at soundandvision.com.—MJP

 

image: https://www.soundandvision.com/images/218yamarec.spx.jpg

218yamarec.spx.jpg

 


Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a2070-av-receiver-review-test-bench#IjWWZojZywZf6Pq3.99

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Max2 said:

 

Right on.

 

This graph shows that the RX-A2070’s left channel, from Audio1 input to speaker output with two channels driving 8-ohm loads. Measurements for THD+noise, crosstalk, signal-to-noise ratio, and analog/digital frequency response were all within expected performance parameters. Full details available at soundandvision.com.—MJP

 

image: https://www.soundandvision.com/images/218yamarec.spx.jpg

218yamarec.spx.jpg

 


Read more at https://www.soundandvision.com/content/yamaha-aventage-rx-a2070-av-receiver-review-test-bench#IjWWZojZywZf6Pq3.99

That is a huge drop from 5 channels to 7 channels.  I bet the Yamaha is designed with power/current limiting software to protect AVR and speakers.

 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

11 minutes ago, willland said:

That is a huge drop from 5 channels to 7 channels.  I bet the Yamaha is designed with power/current limiting software to protect AVR and speakers.

 

Bill

 

That's pretty bad give the price range it is in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@charles m have you heard the RC-64iii? Do you find the RC-64ii harsh/fatiguing/sharp at all? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dubs said:

@charles m have you heard the RC-64iii? Do you find the RC-64ii harsh/fatiguing/sharp at all? 

@Youthman is currently testing the RC-64 III.  I suggest you follow the series as he has at least one more RC-64 III video to come.  Youthman also has the RC-64 II and could do compare/contrast with the Mk III model.

 

It's kinda hard to watch a Youthman video and NOT relate to his infectious enthusiasm.  It's like being there.  B)

 

 

AND...I'm already behind the times, you've got to move fast to keep up with all the latest Youthman videos!  Here's one I hadn't seen yet, it looked relevant. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMO the Yamaha has plenty of dynamic reserve for real world use.  I'm in it (3070) for the audio processing, at a bargain price for what you get compared to a decent Pre/pro.  Paired with a 5 channel external amp, + use of onboard amp for height channels makes for a perfect AVR for me.

 

Frankly I am biased at this point as I've really gotten into bed with Yamaha because of historically reliable performance, and lately I have really gotten to like MusicCast.  I think they sound pretty good for the money as well.  The Yamahas just WORK for me without fail (uh oh, famous last words haha), and their app integration is really good.  It's quite surprising and telling in the effort they put forth to make it a good experience. (compared to tech in general - most things are just not what they're cracked up to be - glitchy at best).

 

I've used the 3070 to power all of my channels (except for rear height) and it knocks it out of the park.  I almost didn't bother plugging back into my external amp for 5 of the channels.  At what point will you ever drive all channels 100%?  Only while testing in a lab.  Who cares?  Granted - I do wish they performed better with all channels driven - but it just doesn't matter - and easily remedied with external amps.  Most AVRs out there will be similar - such that your best bet is to utilize a serious external amp if you care that much about multichannel performance at max chat.    Ok - if I had 9 channels of RF-7II's or some similar that I wanted to run in full range - then no, of course I would not want to do that with my 3070. But who would do that with any AVR and no external amps??  And then - most of my speakers are crossed at 80Hz, most of the time.  That really takes a load off of the amps, leaning on my 1k watt RMS/3.6k watt peak sub to pick up the slack.  

 

 I have repeatedly read that Marantz makes a very good pairing with most Klipsch, and they have rather nice amplification sections.  Reliability concerns held me back - probably not a good enough reason but it was just enough with my existing bias not to go Marantz (I'm sure the reliability stuff is really small percentages).  I have developed a probably unjustified dislike for Denon (experience owning a few Denon AVRs - I don't like their sound, and I don't like their interface) - to which I also associate to Marantz (same company) but that is also unfair since they are not the same AVR with a different skin.  I know this, but the bias continues to influence me.

 

Yeah I'm a self-aware mess :P

 

I had no point, other than to cheerlead for Yamaha, and...oh yes congrats on an excellent purchase with the Marantz!  I'm afraid to demo one at home as I might like it too much.  

 

If I wanted to be more spendy, I'd ditch this AVR nonsense of course, and get some real amps (Parasound...maybe Pa$$ labs...etc) and a decent pre/pro.  I'll keep it lower budget.  I don't even have a theater room so there is no point.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, bkevind said:

Reliability concerns held me back - probably not a good enough reason but it was just enough with my existing bias not to go Marantz

There is a loong thread on avsforum.com on late model Marantz AVR's.  There is nothing I can recall reading that indicated there was a reliability problem.

 

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Onkyo AVR's from a few years ago?  They had a well known problem with HDMI boards going out, all related to a chip (I think Toshiba) that was rated for 80 degrees but the specs called for 110 degrees.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

There is a loong thread on avsforum.com on late model Marantz AVR's.  There is nothing I can recall reading that indicated there was a reliability problem.

 

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Onkyo AVR's from a few years ago?  They had a well known problem with HDMI boards going out, all related to a chip (I think Toshiba) that was rated for 80 degrees but the specs called for 110 degrees.

 

No.  When I was researching reviews of Marantz (I was pretty dead set on buying a Marantz this time) I was disheartened at how often I read about odd glitches or issues.  This is not scientific at all, but as a potential customer I was turned off.  Last thing I want to deal with when spending that much on a new AVR is to have down time and dealing with warranty repairs.  As I said it was probably not enough of a reason to discard Marantz but I didn't see nearly as many (or any) complaints with the new Yamahas.  

 

Perception is reality, regardless of truth ;)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bkevind said:

No.  When I was researching reviews of Marantz (I was pretty dead set on buying a Marantz this time) I was disheartened at how often I read about odd glitches or issues.

OK, fair enough.  I probably just didn't read the same things you did (you can't read it all!) and although my Marantz 6011 has been reliable I fully admit I don't use a fraction of the many features it supports so I'm sure there are some things which might be flaky I might not see.

 

Whenever I want a product listed on Amazon the first thing I do is read the one-star reviews.  That usually gets me to my primary question about any electronic device, "is it reliable?"  I start there and work my way up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, wvu80 said:

OK, fair enough.  I probably just didn't read the same things you did (you can't read it all!) and although my Marantz 6011 has been reliable I fully admit I don't use a fraction of the many features it supports so I'm sure there are some things which might be flaky I might not see.

 

Whenever I want a product listed on Amazon the first thing I do is read the one-star reviews.  That usually gets me to my primary question about any electronic device, "is it reliable?"  I start there and work my way up.

 

Honestly I wish I had just bought a Marantz and enjoyed it.  I get to a point of obsessively researching, going down different rabbit holes, reaching analysis paralysis - finally reaching a vague sort of impression.   If you look hard enough you'll find good or bad comments about anything.  

 

The rock solid stability and reliability of my Yamahas over the years has been an influence for sure.  If I glean any hint that I won't have that with something else I shy away.  This comes from a few years with Denon and NAD AVRs that were not so solid.  

 

It's really just my bs human bias that I have developed.  I like to pride myself on being open minded, but I don't know how much that's really true anymore for anything.  I am just a stupid human after all :P

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well all the speakers that I have like I said its

like Magic with the Marantz SR7012 sounds great to my ears!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn’t say that , Be Kind to yourself!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@bkevind Yea bro, it’s all good. There’s a reason why there are different brands. Relate it to automobiles. They all get you from A to B  regardless of Make/Model. And most newer cars are on an even playing field when it comes to reliability. Sure, you’ll get a Lemon here or there, but I wouldn’t accosiate that with being brand specific. 

Same goes for Receivers, they all produce sound and process different audio/video sources. Pick the one in YOUR budget, that YOU like, and fits YOUR needs. Be informed, but not obsessive. 

 

 And as you’ve had bad experiences with Denon, I’ve had great. I’ve owned Yamaha and Had bad. Sound was bland and had no depth to any surround IMO. But, it’s just that “My Opinion”. I’m not the nominated ambassador of all things sound related. NOR is ANYBODY ELSE on this forum. This is a great place to share ideas and share our appreciation for good sound and technology. Remember, everything you read on the internet is true. Bonjour! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...