Any Doctors in the House?

justin_tx_16

We had a recitation to do in my english class today, taking freshman college english as a high school senior, and LOVING IT!. anyway, i wanted to answer a question about some philosophical theory and thus jerked my hand into the "call on me" position. as i did that I SLAMMED my "funny bone" into a corner of a desk. Instantly I had no feeling in my hand and most of the arm, my right arm mind you. none at all, i could not even move my fingers.

after about 30 minutes i could move my fingers, except the pinky and ring fingers, those came around about 15 minutes later. anyway, my hand was blue and extremely cold. everything is soar as well.

when i open my right arm to full extension it makes a cracking noise, and sometimes really hurts, depending on the position.

do you think i broke something? a nerve, a bone? bruised the bone?

should I go to a dr? (probably a rhetorical question...)

it is really hard to type with out a whole lot of control of my right hand pinkly, you never realize how often you use it till it does not work like normal, or at all.

please advise, even if you are not a dr.3.gif

p.s., my right hand is still cold and bluish

Hony $hit! If you are telling the truth (maybe you are a wierdo trying to get attention 9.gif , JK), get to a doctor ASAP!!!

Breakes are not bad (they can get fixed whenever), no circulation is VERY VERY VERY bad, that is what will do damage. Don't you have any parental units around?

It is very difficult to move a Klipschorn or SVS if you are missing an arm. Get to the doctor (is there a low-level ER type thing near you, like a nurse station?) as soon as possible. A break is minor. A lack of circulation is a REAL problem.

Take care of your arm, they don't grow back!!!

That is definitley a circulation problem!! That blue-ness of your hand is the key sign. And the fact that if it feals cold means that "new" blood is not there to warm that appendage.

You could have both, pinched nerve and a blocked arterie or vessel.

If the Audi is a stick I wouldn't bother taking that, you probably won't be able to shift it very well. Get in on eof the Rovers and high tail it to a med-station, ol' Doc Potter or what ever you got there (just no VooDoo).

Like NOW! Not five minutes from now, not 30 seconds from now but RIGHT NOW.

Ken, no joke here, this is for real unfortunately

my hand is back to its normal color mostly, though there is what looks like bruising on it. my elbow is really purple.

i don't have full movement in my right hand pinky and ring finger still, it doesnot close all the way, and they feel weird (not like whatyou would touch and feel, but just they feel weird when i move them around)

my hand has the same temp as the left hand now, sometimes it at least seems like the pinky and ring finger of the right hand are really cold, i am not sure if it really is colder though, i would say it is though.

there is also a bruise halfway down my arm, like if you had a loose watch, right where it would hit, there is a bruise and it is really sore (watch is on the other arm). i think that may have happened when my hand fell down after being hit so hard.

it pops really bad, extending it past say 160o causes it go to 'crack', like du dump. not a single but does it twice. you can also feel it pop, form inside, like i can feel it move in my elbow.

i called my dr. this morning and he is going to take me in saturday. since i have most of the use of my right hand, and it is no longer blue, i am not as worried. he did tell me to get a gauze wrap and put that around the elbow joint, keeping it firm but not too tight. i did that and it feels nice, (why?). his office is about 65 miles from my house, but on the way to the Aggie Game, I am going to stop by his house, he is also a great friend of the family. he aggreed about the pinched nerve.

thanks for the help, i wish i could go to a dr. sooner, but the ER's around me would have be in there longer than i can aford. I got a lung infectoin last year where my brocchi (spelling) could not absorb oxygen and my wind pipe (as i call it) was swollen. it is a type of pluracy (spelling). anyway, i was nearly blue in the face this time and in EXTREME pain. got their at 11:00 AM on a wednesday and left there at 7:30 PM. i was seen around 4 ish... that is terrible. a guy was in there, mauled by a dog, and they put a lady who had some minor problem, fell down and her side hurt or soemthing, infront of the guy who was bleedin gand his clothes all ripped up. (he was visiting from england on some company exchange program)

anyway, i am about to go to work, my boss's son is a dr, maybe he can help (he stops by like 2 times a week).

thanks again

(BTW, try taping your ring finger and pinky finger together and type, that is what it is like for me right now, what a pain, literally...8.gif

Ok, I went to the Texas Children's Hospital mini hospital and actually got in, even though I am not considered a child anymore.

anyway, the gp there said that she did see anything broken but that there was a pinched nerve and a swollen blood vessel, something like that. anyway, she gave me an anti-inflamatory and a blood thinner to try and increase the blood flow to those two fingers.

she also said she had a patient before she was at the childrens hospital that had the same thing, and it took her a week to get back the ful feeling and movement in her same exact fingers.

she said to go ahead and keep the bandage/gauge on my elbow just to protect it.

i will probably still go to the dr in bellville anyways. just wanted to give you an update. you finally forced me to go to the dr LoL.

That bruising likely means that you ruptured that blood vessel too, in addition to pinching it and a nerve...bruising is blood under the skin...it has to come from somewhere...and likely came from that blood vessel near the nerve...no big deal...it will heal itself up...but still see a DOCTOR!!

Justin -

The nerve is likely to give you problems for a long time to come. Knees and elbows are not to be messed with..

I broke my elbow, tripped over a curb...or did I curb over a trip....Yikes I cant remember....I do remember waking up on the on the operating table...really pissed the doctors off... Really pissed me off too...Tube down throat...no fun... That was mannymannymanny years ago.

I seem to have a high tolerance....

I did not know what to do. I don't have my insurance card, my mom has it, my parents di dnot get home till like 10:45 that night, i had a lot of other things going on, did not think it was worth getting my mom all worried about... ever since my first over night in the hospital, even the slightest thing gets her extremely worried.

trying to hit the 10,000 mark? no, not really.

well i did go to a dr. today, and i have an appt. with our family dr. tomorrow, so i can get a second opinion.

Justin, you should do some investigation. Ask your family M.D. You'll probably find that any insurance plan will pay for an emergency room visit. Maybe there is a small co-pay, but that's it. Also, ER's don't turn people away for lack of a card, or money. Billing is the problem of another department. You might feel better if you carry a photocopy of your family insurance card. It is not necessary.

The E.R.s do have a issue of prioritizing. It is by no means first come first served. If they determine that your condition is not going to get worse, you will be put behind people with conditions which need immediate attention. That make sense and someday you might be in that situation.

The money issue and the wait issue can cause one to wonder whether it is worthwhile seeking attention. Don't worry about them. Take care of yourself. In the future, you or a friend may have similar problems. Now you are better armed to deal with the E.R. or advise a friend in need of help.

BTW some years ago I spent 4 hours in Northwestern U. Hospital E.R. to get my broken wrist fixed. I fell on some ice jogging at the lakefront and walked there. If it happens again, I'll first stop and a bookstore and by a novel to pass the time.

Regards,

Gil

l

We have excellent insurance. I don't know all the details, but dr. visits are $10 and my medicine which is $80 a pill, one of the three medicines i take daily, and for a month supply, we pay $15. That is amazing. That is $4,880 a month! Glad we have insurance. I don't konw how much the other two are, but probably not nearly as expensive, still though...

We only have one insurance plan, I am not sure that you can do wha tyou do Ken in Texas.

Thanks for the info W.1.gif