2 speakers for front center?

robforst1

Why do you want to do that?

Some of the Yamaha's had connections for two center channel speakers. Does yours?

You COULD wire them in series, which would present a 16-ohm nominal load to your Yammy rather than in parallel which would drop the load to 4-ohms (which may not be a problem -- better check the owner's manual).

Doug

Use one for the front center and the other for the rear center.

I have a Yamaha RX-V2092 that I dont use anymore. It has two front center channels oututs. I tried two speakers for a while, but went back to one speaker. One seems more detailed and localized, and that is what you want from the center channel.

You may want to see the following post from BobG:

COPIED POST FROM SEVERL MONTHS AGO

"If you use two centers, they will actuall interfere with each other just like dropping two rocks into a pond makes two series of waves that crash into each other and cancel, or add unpredictably. It just doesn't work. (This is also the reason you want to keep your speakers away from nearby walls which would reflect sound and cause interference). The resulting interference makes a total mess of tonal balance. "

--

I have always been told there would be cancellation or comb effects using two speakers for the front center, but have never heard them. I am using a pair of Heresy's connected in parallel, +'s together and -'s together. Before the Heresy's I used parallel SF-1's and SF-2's. In my case, I can't use a single speaker and have it centered with the TV. The closest I could come would be a Heresy turned sideways in front of the TV. I've attached a photo showing my current setup.

post-5629-1381924547991_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I run 2 heresy's in parallel for a center on my RX-V1. Sounds great and no problems.

I have to disagree with the notion of them canceling. Common sense would tell me that if this was true than any monoral sorce played out two speakers or even identical sound that is reproduced in stereo out of L-R speakers would cancel itself out.

What about center channels with 2 drivers? Technically they are reproducing the same sounds, wouldn't they then cancel each other out? Using 2 heresey's is no different than using a center with with two drivers.

Please correct me if I am wrong as this seems to be an ongoing question.

EJ

• 2 weeks later...

I have never seen one premade. You can just run the wires from both speakers and put them in the same jacks on the receiver. I may have used banana plugs on mine, with one speaker plugged into the back of the banana plug for the other speaker plugged into the receiver jacks. Did that make any sense?

Rob,

When runnjing in p[arallel all you are doing is running two speakers the exact sme way you would run one. Insted of hooking one pair (+/-) of wire off the amp you run 2 off one channel. You can also pigglyback one set of wires off the back of one speaker to the other if you do not want to run 2 sets of wires from the amp to the speakers. Parallel just means you run positive to postive terminal and negative to negative terminal on both speakers.

To clarify what series is: When you hook the positive wire from amp to (1) center speker positive binding post, run one wire form (1) center spekaer negative post to (2) center speker positive binding post, run one wire from (2) center speaker negative binding post back to negtive output terminal on amp. Thus now these two speakers are wired in a series. Noting that a series connection will give your overall impedence that the source sees as (1)center impedence plus (2)center impedence. The formula(ohm's law) for resistors(speakers in this case) in parallel is ((1) center impedence plus (2) center impedence)/N, where N equals the nuber of resistors which in this case is two(2 speakers). Series is just the sum of resistor impedences. Also noting that impedence or resistance is measured in Ohms. Thus when running in parallel will give you 4 ohms and series will give you 16 ohms.

To make a long story short to run in parallel just run the speaker wire the way you would run any speaker wire except hook two spoeakers up to one output on your receiver.

EJ

Sorry Rob, no pictures. Banana plugs have jacks built into the backs of them, so you can daisy chain several together. Plug the first one from say the left speaker into the receiver. Then plug the second one from the right speaker into the back of the other plug. Make sure like EJ said, that the positive and negative sides of the speakers and receiver are all hooked up the same.

• 3 weeks later...

You really don't want to have 2 center speakers. Two speakers producing the same signal in such close proximity to each other (in a, relatively speaking, small space)produces something called the "comb filter" effect. Various alternating frequencies will be cancelled and exaggerated (producing a "comb" like effect to the acoustic wavefront) due to the time difference between the two speakers. It will create a rather jagged frequency response.

artto