How not to foil your foil coil

Alexander

And to stabilize the mechanical connection. 

You want a solid mechanical connection, with contact surfaces maximized - and then the solder, which will displace any air.

A good crimp is as good or better than solder, but a “good crimp” needs to be gasless, and the crimper and disconnects are made to work together.  

I’ve seen too many connections with little contact between the leads, where the solder is primarily being used as the conduit for signal transfer. I won’t name any names. 

If the mechanical connection is good, and doesn’t move, and there is little or no air between the connected parts - you’re good to go - at least - that has always been my understanding. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deang said:

And to stabilize the mechanical connection. 

You want a solid mechanical connection, with contact surfaces maximized - and then the solder, which will displace any air.

A good crimp is as good or better than solder, but a “good crimp” needs to be gasless, and the crimper and disconnects are made to work together.  

I’ve seen too many connections with little contact between the leads, where the solder is primarily being used as the conduit for signal transfer. I won’t name any names. 

If the mechanical connection is good, and doesn’t move, and there is little or no air between the connected parts - you’re good to go - at least - that has always been my understanding. 

Precisely.

3 hours ago, Deang said:

“good crimp” needs to be gasless,

crimping is mechanical so it seems to this uneducated person that a mechanical connection has zippity due da day with gas

Bottom line is a good mechanical / electrical connection  between two conductors with protection from the environmental elements in your location.

7 hours ago, babadono said:

If the copper foil is bare at the point of connection I would think so. You are just going to put a hole in the foil, secure terminal with screw and lock washer and then solder to terminal?

Yes, put a hole in the bare foil, but not sure I have enough heat in my iron to try to solider the foil to the terminal though. I would be afraid of having to hold the iron on to long ending up hurting something even with a heat sink. 

1 hour ago, Deang said:

Scuff the area where you are going put the hole (both sides). Once you remove the polystyrene coating the copper, it heats very fast. I’m surprised ERSE didn’t tin those ends. 

Ok thanks, and yes you are right ERSE did not tin the leads and did not think of there still being a coating on the leads. 

16 hours ago, Alexander said:

Yes, put a hole in the bare foil, but not sure I have enough heat in my iron to try to solider the foil to the terminal though. I would be afraid of having to hold the iron on to long ending up hurting something even with a heat sink. 

Of course a soldered connection would be best but there are lots of electrical connections around this world that are mechanical only. Like the bond connection of ground to neutral in every house in the USA. Or the connection of the chassis in almost every stereo component etc...etc....