WTB: Beater Heresy and Cornwalls

KeithMcGowan

I have a project that I want to giving a facelift to some cabinets that have seen better days. Let me know if anyone wants to clean out closet of old cabinets, drivers, or crossovers. Ideally some beat up speakers with good drivers.

Send any pics or offers to forum or keithmcg70@gmail.com. I'm located in Raleigh, NC but get around the SE and mid-Atlantic for work. Thanks in advance for any help on the project.

Keith

Edited by KeithMcGowan

@KeithMcGowan

Keith,

I think you should make a road trip  to PA. Those Cornwall"s are worth the trip.

A few weeks ago I bought 2 sheets of 3/4" Baltic Birch to build a couple of NEW Cornwall clones. My material cost..$225.00

With you skills you could probably refurbish the one in PA for under $300.

Take a look at the thread in the Technical / Modifications  Forum .................

Maybe my wife is right

By TFR1,  January 23 in Technical/Modifications

You can see what I started with. Total investment is under $800. The Cornwall's are beautiful now.

1 hour ago, KeithMcGowan said:

I can do the diaphragm, and expect to do caps on any vintage pair. Not sure on the cost to  fix the woofer but not *too* far off/

Appreciated opusk2k9,  please keep them coming all if you see any out there.

Depending on the damage to the woofer, I used a coffee filter and speaker glue from PE to repair a good size puncture. Cut the filter about an inch oversize around the tear and just glue it in place from the inside. I added a light film on the woofer from the outside to reinforce it. It seals it up and works quite well for a next to nothing cost

Mark

Hey Keith mine aren't beaters but I'm just down in Charlotte. From 1990, raw Birch Heresy IIs I stained and put three coats of alkyd satin poly on. They have a little sibilance in the tweeters when cranked and probably need x overs replaced by now. Salt air spotting (I think) in first pic from a couple years spent beachside in Daytona. Sound decent and still look good. Need to cut down a little.

Don't get my notifications from here anymore, usually quick check the forums around first coffee 6-7a and in the evening.

Left showing 3-16th inch glass top.jpg

Right lft side.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TFR1 said:

@KeithMcGowan

Keith,

I think you should make a road trip  to PA. Those Cornwall"s are worth the trip.

A few weeks ago I bought 2 sheets of 3/4" Baltic Birch to build a couple of NEW Cornwall clones. My material cost..$225.00

With you skills you could probably refurbish the one in PA for under $300.

Take a look at the thread in the Technical / Modifications  Forum .................

Maybe my wife is right

By TFR1,  January 23 in Technical/Modifications

You can see what I started with. Total investment is under $800. The Cornwall's are beautiful now.

The Cornwall are in Redding, CA.  Much longer road trip.