Painting EV HP640 horns

tromprof

I recently picked up a pair of EV HP640 horns and DH1A drivers. The horns are a little scuffed up and I am using them on top of my Klipschorns in my teaching studio.

I would like to paint them, perhaps even another color instead of black (red?). It seems like spray paint has come a long way over the years and I was thinking of trying that with a clear coat as finish. I would also add a nice wood from to the horn fronts stained to match the Khorns.

Anyone have experience painting a horn like this?

IMG_0732[1].JPG

• Like 1

No, but I have been filing down some ridges in the casting of a pair of K-400 horns I have. I got some rattle can primer from an auto supply store (O'Reilly), Dupli Color 2 in 1 hi build. I'm still working on them, but it is providing a nice, even base coat. I haven't picked the final color, but I am thinking a deep red. They have a lot of matching auto paint colors, so the choices are pretty wide.

You won't have to worry too much about excessive build up in the throat area due to the air flow, and the rest of the horn as it widens out isn't as critical.

Bruce

If you are looking for a rough surface, the hammered finish with a good primer.  Also bed liner spray will give a very tough and good looking finish if spray consistently.

If you are looking for shine, do the build up as Marvel is on the k400s.

10 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

I actually did spray paint my HP640 with a hammered finish, I believe bronze. Turned out pretty good. Very nice sounding horns, I still have them. 

I would love to see a picture of what they look like painted if you are willing.

1 hour ago, absolve2525 said:

Great job! 😀 Much better than the original industrial color with logo. We know they're EVs underneath 😉. I stuck some black tape pieces on the mounting holes from the back, which covers the holes if you don't need to see them. Those DH1A are really nice. 

They did turn out well, thanks for the heads up on the hammered paint. Very easy to achieve a nice finish.

IMG_0752[1].JPG

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, absolve2525 said:

Sweet! Are you going to try a 2-way setup, or are you using them as midrange only? 

Currently using them in a three way with passive crossovers and EQ to make it play together nicely.

I would like to pick up another digital crossover and play with different crossover points and time alignment like I have in the basement. Need to keep it simple/easy to use for my better half however, we share the space (violins are hers). 

Those look really nice! I'm thinking I will part ways with the LS pair I have be beating into submission and build a pair of University Classics. A pair of the EV horns would/sbould work nicely with tbose.

Bruce

6 hours ago, tromprof said:

I would like to pick up another digital crossover and play with different crossover points and time alignment like I have in the basement. Need to keep it simple/easy to use for my better half however, we share the space (violins are hers). 

I've got to think you know this already but in case not...  if you inserted an active in there somewhere (and then programmed it) it would be no more difficult for her than passives.  Once dialed in, the active becomes "set it and forget it".  Only extra complication might be an extra amp.  In my case, I wired things to four (4) switches on wall so anyone (cough...my wife...cough) can simply turn the 4 switches on/off and that alone controls everything.

Aside from that, they look nice!!!  You ready to paint my 402's some kind of blazing red (so I can annoy my wife!)  :emotion-14:

8 hours ago, absolve2525 said:

How are you liking the EVs? Did you have to lower the midrange level at all? I'm assuming they're 16 ohm, like the original Klipschorn midrange. 

The EV DH1A drivers I have are all 8 OHM (not sure if they come 16 OHM). To help them work with the passive crossover I movedthe squaker tap on the autoformer one step lower.

6 hours ago, Coytee said:

I've got to think you know this already but in case not...  if you inserted an active in there somewhere (and then programmed it) it would be no more difficult for her than passives.  Once dialed in, the active becomes "set it and forget it".  Only extra complication might be an extra amp.  In my case, I wired things to four (4) switches on wall so anyone (cough...my wife...cough) can simply turn the 4 switches on/off and that alone controls everything.

Aside from that, they look nice!!!  You ready to paint my 402's some kind of blazing red (so I can annoy my wife!)  :emotion-14:

I know I can make it more or less a one switch operation but I need to avoid the amp rack look I have in the basement system. I am hoping to get some time this summer to try my hand at building a small class D amp.

BTW I am happy to paint your K402s, but once painted they can't be moved while the paint cures. I hear that can takes years.

• Like 1