LaScala Industrial Splits Questions

geoff.

I picked up a pair LaScala Industrial Splits last week. I have not listened to them yet. They will likely replace my ‘92 LS in the living room... or I will be in the doghouse!

Several questions are milling about, but the one that has me baffled the most is the 8 ohm rating on the bass bin, pictured below.

I pulled the panels off the bottom of both bins prior to purchase to confirm the K-43 was inside and checked them with an ohmmeter.

I did not see any other crossover components in the doghouse. Are they hidden somewhere else in the bass bin? I know the crossover is contained in the tops so I am stumped.

What makes the bass bin 8 ohms when a K-43 is a 4 ohm driver?

244E4789-45C9-49EC-8C4D-C30EE70D7B09.jpeg

Horn loading.  By capturing a column of air and holding it against the woofer cone, the horn creates more resistance to moving the air compared to a direct radiating woofer.  This raises the impedance.  The increase is actually about double, but 6.5-ish ohms qualifies as 8 ohms nominal. 

The captured column of air is one way to understand the cause of increased efficiency from horns.