Whale Wars Anyone?

BigStewMan

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

a man after my own heart ... i LOVE extreme weather.  I’ve been in the middle of the Pacific Ocean at night (and it gets really, really dark out there) you hear the wind and waves and I imagine myself falling overboard and how scary that would be. Yeah, i guess i’m weird. 

Scariest thing I’ve ever done was jump from a 21’ RHI onto a rope ladder of a container ship.  We were doing a boarding during the 1984 Olympics and had to board the ships before they came into port.  Watching the swells and timing the jump was exciting -- knowing that if i fell, i’d most likely die. Spoiler alert:  I made it.

That sounds very exciting to me. For some reason, I like to be put in situations where you think "wtf am I doing here"

My wife hates bad weather, I can't get her to see it the way I do. I'm fascinated at what nature can do. I went walking in a complete downpour the other night, but it was warm, she just couldn't understand that.

I've never been out very far in the sea, and never during bad weather. Sign me up!

• Like 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

a man after my own heart ... i LOVE extreme weather.  I’ve been in the middle of the Pacific Ocean at night (and it gets really, really dark out there) you hear the wind and waves and I imagine myself falling overboard and how scary that would be. Yeah, i guess i’m weird. 

Scariest thing I’ve ever done was jump from a 21’ RHI onto a rope ladder of a container ship.  We were doing a boarding during the 1984 Olympics and had to board the ships before they came into port.  Watching the swells and timing the jump was exciting -- knowing that if i fell, i’d most likely die. Spoiler alert:  I made it.

I did the rope thing but just the opposite, leaving an oil rig by swinging on the rope and timing it with the waves as the boat comes up on the wave, or your 20' off the deck of the boat and have to swing back to the rig.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

I’ve never been scared while on one.  Once upon a time, i was in a huge storm on Lake Michigan ... +20’ seas ... and the waves are closer together on the great lakes than on the ocean, we were getting the crap beat out of us. You had to hold your food with one hand or the plate would go flying off the table. Man, was that fun!

Been in a cyclone on the pacific; but, wasn’t as bad as that storm on Lake Michigan. Many people don’t realize the intensity of the storms on Lake Michigan and Lake Superior.  Read about the Edmund Fitzgerald and the countless other LARGE ships that the lakes have taken. 

One of our snowmobile rides up in the UP of Michigan takes us to a spot of a sunken ship during a storm. I was there one year and the waves crashing into the town had the whole place frozen up, even 1000 feet from the lake's edge. You could feel the tension in the air, those are some tough people.

• Like 1

• Moderators

In the middle of the gulf once we had 30'-35' waves, it was scary. OK the boat was over 1000' long, but I did almost drop my drink !

1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

too bad the Sea Shepherds probably wouldn’t take people our age. If only i could remember where i parked that time machine.

The bad thing is they are a bunch of clowns, they break more Maritime and other laws it's crazy, wouldn't want no part of that group.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, BigStewMan said:

my first duty station ... it does seem a lot more fun looking back. I wish, at the time, i would have realized how much fun i was having.

Problem is not that your on the water but that it's freezing, you would last about 30 seconds if you hit the water.

On 4/6/2018 at 3:50 PM, dtel said:

In the middle of the gulf once we had 30'-35' waves, it was scary. OK the boat was over 1000' long, but I did almost drop my drink !

The bad thing is they are a bunch of clowns, they break more Maritime and other laws it's crazy, wouldn't want no part of that group."

• Like 1

So... my guitar playing buddy, U.S. Civil War historian... was researching for a book he was writing. He had a diary of a man from Savannah, who traveled to Halifax (during the war), to get supplies back to Savannah. They are coming down in the winter, and get caught in a storm, and the rigging gets frozen with the salt spray and they can't reef the sails or take them down.

The ship's kitchen/galley was like a small building built on the main deck, and it got ripped off and washed overboard. They wanted to try to cook some food, but the ship was bouncing around like crazy, but below deck they took a chain and made it into a coil and built a fire on it. They made pancakes on a big shovel/scoop that someone held over the fire, twisting the shovel to keep it level as the ship was tossing about.

They did survive the trip, obviously, and managed to get past the blockade around Savannah and unload.

Bruce

• Like 1

• Moderators
21 hours ago, BigStewMan said:
21 hours ago, dtel said:

those waves are big enough to toss around a thousand footer, even with the stabilizers, you’re going to feel it. 

Oh you could feel it, it looked like everyone out walking around was drunk, they would try to walk straight but would bounce off of walls and run into things as the boat swayed, it was great. You could watch your drink go from side to side in your glass, I did have one thing I was terrified of. I was fine but if people around the boat were to start getting sick I would have to stay in the room, I can not take that. To me It was my best cruise, you could feel you were on a ship.

Once we got a cove balcony which is the lowest level you can get a balcony, it's still about 30+ feet off the water. If it gets rough they lock you balcony door which is waterproof because waves can  hit the balcony. We never ran into big waves on that trip but I did take a video off the balcony just because I love the open water.

Not rough but I know you like open water, just a video of the boat going through the Gulf almost at dark. About 200' from the front of the boat. Not a good video, I take stills and don't even know if this will work here?

dream_10_19_2014-408.MOV

On 4/7/2018 at 1:32 PM, dtel said:

Not rough but I know you like open water, just a video of the boat going through the Gulf almost at dark. About 200' from the front of the boat. Not a good video, I take stills and don't even know if this will work here?

• Haha 1

On 4/7/2018 at 1:32 PM, dtel said:

Oh you could feel it, it looked like everyone out walking around was drunk, they would try to walk straight but would bounce off of walls and run into things as the boat swayed, it was great. You could watch your drink go from side to side in your glass, I did have one thing I was terrified of. I was fine but if people around the boat were to start getting sick I would have to stay in the room, I can not take that. To me It was my best cruise, you could feel you were on a ship.

4 minutes ago, BigStewMan said:

i hear you ... we got underway after six weeks in the yards, and sailed right into a fierce storm. I don’t get seasick; but, many did and the smell of puke wasn’t a pleasant thing. walking the passageways was like being drunk -- the ship pitching made walking a few small steps (uphill) then several where you’re practically running (downhill). of course, lunch the first day was chili & Reuben Sandwiches -- not a good choice when many didn’t have their sea legs yet. We got the crap beat out of us for a while -- reefers opened and the contents went flying -- what a mess! I tell you, i’d pay money to go through that again! Another time -- i was sleeping and nearly throw to the deck. I remember waking up and holding on ... still half asleep and wondering what the heck? 

You know, i love music and i love concerts; but, i’d trade in every concert that i’ve been to, just to relive that day again. It’s a shame that often when we’re going through something we don’t take the time to realize how incredible of an experience it actually is. 

Sometimes the days of our lives are today.

• Like 2

Just now, BigStewMan said:

something we should remind ourselves of daily, i guess. 

i was told by the lady at work once ... “you’ve done so many exciting things.”  I was quite surprised thinking that my life was rather boring; but, i guess i’ve had my moments. 

I tell my daughters constantly to remember these times, and don't be in a big hurry to grow up. Enjoy being a kid, it flies by. Being 17, she know's it all :D

• Haha 1