For Sale: Cary/AES AE-25 DJH SuperAmp

Deang

I will list her here for a couple of days, and then to AudiogoN she goes.

Dennis Had modifed AES AE-25 triode push-pull amp.

New Svetlana KT-88's from Triode Electronics installed last April, a recent rebias showed very little loss in output. Tubes are probably still good for almost 3 years depending on usage. They were $170 for the matched quad.

NOS Amperex 7308 PQ USN-CEP White Labels put in over the summer. This is the dual triode version of the 6922 gold pin, hand matched to 1% tolerance. They were $210 for the pair.

Just installed NOS RCA EL-84's. They were $45 for the pair.

$1450

http://www.upscaleaudio.com/ae-25.htm

http://www.superamp.com

Kelly, sometimes you trip me out.

I'll have a set of fully restored (Rel Cap PPMFX Mulitcaps, Mills resistors, Madisound inductors, rewired with .9999 OFC) and modified (Scan-Speak 2010 tweeters) DQ-10's, being driven by a 200 watt dual mono monstrosity and AE-3. What the hell do I need a ultralinear amp for:)

Shall we try this again?

S imple E volutionary T ransition

There should be nothing surprising here. I've said many times that most of my "heavy" listening is actually done at low to moderate volume levels. I may like to do some Metallica from time to time, but it's not like I'm assaulting my hearing when I do it.

If you'll remember, I originally went with the SuperAmp after comparing it to the Bryston. I simply went with what sounded better. My problem with the stock SuperAmp was that I couldn't get enough drive during movies/dvd's. It sounded fine, though somewhat weak. So I remedied that by getting the DJH version -- and have in fact been happy ever since. I'm certainly not selling it because I think there is a problem.

We are moving things around in the house. We have new carpet in the basement, and have actually been spending quite a bit of time down there. I'll be building the second system there, and moving the T.V. as well. So, it will be DQ's, big amp, SVS sub, television, dartboard, hang around, family area.

The livingroom is being transitioned to "the quiet room". Books and Chairs. Something else I like to do, but don't talk about it much. I like Sci-Fi, King, Koontz, history, and of course...that Book.

So, I think I'll be O.K. with 8 watts upstairs:)

Jazzman, you're good.

I'm not ready for 2A3 yet. I guess I'm just a coward.

I'm taking a hard look at this:

http://www.midwest-audio.com/pages/755440/index.htm

However, no moves until all input is received from Kelly and Fellow Forum Members. I guess that would be Kelly & Co.

Kelly, now wait a minute, weren't YOU the one that started this whole thing last year by telling ME I was way too hung up on the power thing. Something about your Moondogs being able to shake the very foundations of the earth:)

I won't budge on the AE-25. I can't. If I go lower I can't afford the upgrade. Besides, I've got quite a bit invested in the NOS tubes. So, I MAY end up having to keep the SuperAmp -- but thankfully, that is not a bad thing.

Rich Text Editor stinks. I can't get it to work half the time for me. Anyone else having problems with it?

Dean,

Well, well. I made a comment about your avatar in another post, and here it's all revealed. This manufacturer seems to be in your geograhic area. If you're going SET, no need to be a coward about the 2A3 vs the 300B. Their 2A3 offering was given a very healthy review by the TNT writer(did you read it?), though the only downside is their 2A3 monobloc product is not available yet. I'm nowhere near Kelly in terms of technical knowledge and experience with tube equipment, but at the price of the Midwest offerings, Welborne Labs 300B and 2A3 products as "monoblocks" should be given very serious consideration when you can find them for sale as "used" or(previously owned). The Welborne Labs parts are also first rate. Don't take these as "homer" remarks because I have Moondogs. I get no commissions! You probably know as much if not more than I about parts, but everything I was able research before plunking down my dollars showed Welborne Labs were on the money when it came to the components used in their products. That's part of what makes a well built previously owned Welborne Labs set of monoblocks a good buy when compared price wise to "new" Midwest Audio, Classic 300B Stereobloc, or Classic 300B Monoblocs. This is of course offered without any direct listenening comparison of the two manufacturer's products. Just dollars and cents. I'm sure you will enjoy whatever choice you make. I'll soon be saying, "Welcome to the SET world."

Klipsch out.

I would love a set of Wellbourne Labs monoblocks. The only problem is they hardly ever show up, and when they do -- they be gone! I'd have to sleep next to the computer and the AudiogoN site, with my finger taped to the mouse.

I may opt for patience -- but these folks are less than 2 miles from my house. He (Patrick) has already offered to bring the 300b stereoblock to my house, and let me borrow it for the weekend. I'm just one of them people -- if I get that thing in here -- It's staying. Knowing this, I declined the offer (it killed me, really).

After I've thought this out, and if the SuperAmp sells, I'll have him bring it over for a listen.

The main thing here is that I'm looking at a major convenience/security issue in the customer service area. If it blows up and catches on fire -- I drive down the street.

No decisions until you guys are done bombarding me:)

I wouldnt go this route yet. Perhaps get a listen, but I dont believe the Midwest Audio offerings are quite on the same page in some ways.

Also, I am not sure what you mean about the Welborne Labs offerings disappearing so fast via Audiogon. They actually stay around longer than others with the Laurels getting a lot of time; hell, there was a $1300 pair with the Ultimate Upgrade installed that sat around for quite a while. I couldnt get anyone to go for them. The Laurels dont sell quite as fast as the Moondogs.

Again, counter to what you might think, I actually prefer the bass in a good 2A3 amp but I recommend getting monoblocks regardless.

Out of curiosity, ask the guys at Midwest what kind of output transformers they use. This is really ALL important in SET amps.

Since the guy is so close, why not audition the 300B and 2A3 amp?

Most on here have no way to audition any kind of SET amp let alone a new model. See if he will let you take a model home over a few days to get an idea of his product quality. If I were you, I would take advantage of this opportunity as it does not come around too often. I would not rush into buying them, however. But it would be a great education and worth the headache tenfold. Keep in mind that all SET amps are not created equal; but that being said, it's great to hear anything you can! Give it a go.

For those interested in Dean's SuperAmp DJH, I had made a few pages for Chris when selling his amp. Here is a reprint of the intro to the manual with a description of the AES Superamp along with the differences of the DJH model that Dean is selling.

The three thumbnail pics link to full 1000pix wide versions.

LINK: Cary/AES Superamp Description notes with pictures & DJH Additions

When I decided to get Laurels, I waited for the right moment with my finger taped to the mouse button.

I didn't wait more than a couple of weeks (really had to go to the bathroom by then) before a pair showed up.

It was probably the smartest move I've made in stereo in the last 20 years.

FWIW, I too would wait. Why take a chance on quality (at that kind of price) when you can get a well known quality product? The trial and error stuff is for the rich web designers like Kelly, who can afford to buy one new amp after another, "Honey, I just ran up another $3K on the credit card, is that OK?" "Yes, dear, I'll just slip a little extra in the envelope this month."

Actually it was Les Lammers who guided me in that direction, Kelly having not yet purchased his Moondogs. For that I owe Les a debt of gratitude.

Dean-

I would take advantage of the opportunity to listen to the Midwest Audio amps...certainly can't hurt, and as you said, they are just around the corner.

Keep your eyeballs peeled for Welborne amps and be prepared to "pull the trigger" with an email to the seller to establixh your interest and get a dialogue going. Then you have time to check the seller and the amps out thoroughly.

just my 2¢