I may need to get a new Sub to replace my SVS 20-39CSi

Mike Lindsey

Sound quality is a some what subjective matter and very dependant on room placement and integration with the rest of the system. I'll take your word for its' superiority to all other subs on sound quality (although personally I'd take an IB or Dipole sub over it without hesitation).

Output wise the SW12 could not compete with the Ultra. The PC+ it might come close to, but the Ultra not likely. You can only move so much air through a single flared 4" port. Doesn't matter what tricks you play with the amp, can't cheat physics.

----------------

On 10/10/2002 7:24:04 PM Q-Man wrote:

Mike,

I'm not pushing my sunfire on you. I might not even get rid of it. My next sub has to be an end all sub. So I may live with what I have for a while. You heard it and it blows away your SVS. My thought is that one might fit behind your left channel LaScala in that front corner.

----------------

Q,

I won't go so far to say it blows away my SVS, as I'm sure the specs on both these Subs are very similar. It's true, your system has a lot more bass than my system, even in the much larger room. I'm sure that some of that has to do with the fact that you have about nine or ten 15" woofers to compliment the Sunfire.

But you are right, my HT rig seems to be lacking a little in the low-end department. I'm wondering if I'm not maximizing the SVS's potential. I do not have the gain turned all the way up on the Samson (there is still 6 or 7 ticks left in it) but am not sure if that really matters. I used the VE DVD and SPL meter to dial it in with the rest of my system.

Anyway, I'm leaning towards a second 20-39CS and putting it on the other side of the fireplace, next to the left rear Chorus. That is, if nothing else, the cheapest alternative as well. I'm not ruling out getting something else, but either way it may have to wait a while before I can afford any more new equipment....

Mike

Mike,

The ULTRA will extend a bit lower than the 20-39cs with all three ports open(but barely)...and if you plug one port(with the supplied port block)...it will extend another 1/3 octave(ish).

You should ALWAYS have the gain controls on the S700/S1000 amps at 100%! Please set that accordingly, and re-calibrate :)

TV

----------------

On 10/11/2002 12:21:26 PM TVodhanel wrote:

You should ALWAYS have the gain controls on the S700/S1000 amps at 100%! Please set that accordingly, and re-calibrate
:)

TV

----------------

Tom,

I have just set the gain to 100% on the Samson and had to adjust all my modes on the Denon by 6db. I will let you know what I think of the change after I have had a chance to experiment...

Mike

Four Aerial Acoustics SW12 subs! Holly schmuck this is insane(price that is)well he got his subs at cost so its not that expensive anyway.Figure he paid the price you would pay for two SW12's he got four!

Just one in a mid-sized room is someting,four can provide massive output.Four SW12's WOHA,if I had cost prices I would get four yeah,if only IF.Damn the IF

3.gif

This topic seems to have been pretty well beat to death, but I have a REL Storm III myself. It seems to keep up well with my RF-7s. I don't know how it will work with the LaScalas, though. It has a very nice clean bass that does go deep (to around 18hz) and is plenty loud enough for my room (about 14'x14'). However, it does seem that you are better off sticking with SVS.

Steven,

Your REL is one heck of a great sub,may not have the output of SVS or Sunfire but sure does sound better.I just imagine a Stentor II or Studio II subs.Pure sub bass magic 1.gif

REL goes for maximum quality over maximum output,and it shows in all REL products I heard so far.

one sub you left off you might look at is the Earthquake Super Nova Millennium 15, this is the newest model they have out and will dust almost all the subs you listed, you might be able to get one for 1500 to 1700 dollars, they are very loud also and play LOW

I recently added sub's to my Klipschorn's and was concerned with the subs keeping up. I looked into dual SVS Ultra's (SVS recommendation) but I ended up with twin North Creek Leviathan 18" woofers in parallel. They are driven by a Mackie 1400 bridged mono at 1200 watts. Works very well at any volume. Check 'em out at northcreekmusic.com.