Would these speakers be good for a home cinema setup?

Moonwalker1982

Alright cool then. Guessing those Revels will sound decent, please post what you think of them. No, all I am sayinf is, either knockoff $100 for the new 280's or $100 off of the used 260's.

It just makes me wonder abit about what difference between new 260 versus new 280's. Yes, if you feel comfy enough. Know you are not buying a car but, still your money. I like it when salespeople are going back and recrunching numbers. Lets me know they want to talk biz....:)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Emile said:

@billybob ... awesome; you are reading "Dutch" now also :D 

Ja...der speaken za deutch...my German...thought about going to Belgium but guessing they have some decent beer in Holland as well.

Guess you will have OP going Pro with nowhere to sit, but hay...cool...; )

• Haha 1

I'm back. Back from checking out the demonstration of the Revel M16 . They were set up as both front and rear speakers and a center speaker and a Rel subwoofer. I forgot to ask the name of the sub, but it was waaaaaaaay above my budget, that I do know. I brought The Dark Knight,Transformers: DOTM and Inception on BR with me. It was a nice demo room, dark, with a projector to really get that mini movie theater experience going. The intro of Transformers sounded very nice, a powerful but not boomy bass during the scenes where it was needed and the surround sound was set up perfectly. Dare I say I heard more surround that in my own movie theater. The voices sounded crisp and clear through the center speaker and my impression is that the M16s definitely do their thing as front speakers. The Dark Knight intro was great too with the gun shots sounding powerful and punchy. We also checked out a BR by David Foster and band which sounded really crisp and clear too.

The salesman had told me last week that in this price range there's nothing better and he guaranteed me I would be blown away after the demo and wouldn't want any other speaker anymore. But that's not the case for me. It partly has to do with money. Because while the M16s are affordable (at this store 549 euro/$641.69, other store has them for 350 euro/$409.09) the center speaker is a different story at 749 euro/$876.63 (when the center speakers I have in mind from Klipsch or ELAC are half that price. But mostly I just don't have this feeling of ''jesus, I don't need anything else anymore. This is the best. I'm done.'' If I were to go for ELAC or Klipsch it would be a great deal better for the wallet and great sound just as well. Speaking of ELAC.....to my great surprise I managed to demo them.

After the Revel demo I decided to find that third store that I initially couldn't find and what do you know...they have ELAC. I demo'ed the ELAC Debut B5 because they didn't have the 6 or 6.2 but holy shit man, the reviews weren't lying. Very crisp and clear and a noticeable bass but in no way overpowering or anything, perfect really to be honest. I was surprised that without any kind of subwoofer the bass would be this present, absolutely great for my favorite artist Michael Jackson. Obviously great for hiphop and so on. I listened to artists from MJ to Bruce Springsteen, Allan Taylor, The Cure, Leonard Cohen, Aaron Neville to hiphop like 2Pac. It all sounded fantastic really and this was the B5, not even the B6 or B6.2. And this was even via Spotify on a Ipad, I can only imagine how amazing vinyl and CD will sound.

Now I just need to decide if i'm gonna buy ELAC or Klipsch. It would be Klipsch because of their in my opinion great design, I just love those towers man. But I didn't hear them myself. I am gonna do everything I can to demo them somewhere, even if I have to take a trip by train for it. There should be a store in my country that has them and I am gonna search and see if I can find out. Of these two, a home cinema by ELAC would absolutely be the best for the wallet. 

I've been thinking...since i'm considering going for ELAC, those are bookshelf speakers. How about I 'forget' about the RP-260F) and put RP-150 or 160ms as both front and rear speakers?

• Like 1

Glad you have had 2 good demo's. Cannot speak to either never hearing them There is or was an alert or a sale in the sections here of a 15 inch Revel recently. Retailed for over $3 and was being sold for a super bargain.

You could well do just what you are saying. It well may be all that is needed for your room and, no doubt eventually a sub, for your gaming experience. Am supposing you may have a similar experience as the Revel demo. To what degree similar, may need to play same or like music, with eyes closed. Maybe you can demo the Klipsch. Thinking the line is getting right popular. Of course, there is the larger speaker line to consider...: )

You already have a rapport with the store there. Who knows, if not satisfied, just return for other. lol... Cool!

Yeah but the problem kinda is...this store doesn't have Klipsch anymore. This is the store that basically dissed Klipsch last week, said Klipsch just isn't worth it anymore. I'm hoping to find maybe a shop in Holland that have these Klipsch speakers so I can demo them. I probably just need to Google it and then call the stores and ask them. Since I have no car i'm gonna have to take the train and hopefully it won't be too far away. Another option is looking at marketplace sites where people sell their speakers and ask them if it's possible I come check the speakers out at their home. There definitely are still options and I won't make a definite decision until I've tried it all.

I feel that if I just go for ELAC and forget about Klipsch that I might regret it because again, I love the design. And design absolutely counts for something. I mean it will be standing in my living room for years. :)

• Like 1

Like your thinking...If they were to have listened to 2 channel or Home Cinema in a proper demo room, anyone could not diss with a straight face. For some reason they are steering away customers from Klipsch. No doubt another line and...$...

Sorry, but at times I speak the bleeping obvious. Just make your own ears happy...bottomline...The M-16's must be great. Had them confused with the new Klipsch bookshelf monitors. Have heard a pair and they sounded just lovely...to me. Excellent!

I'm making some significant steps here.

If I end up choosing Klipsch it will be the RP-260F, the 280F just isn't within my price range. From what I've read the RF-62II's and the RF-82II's are still highly regarded and if stores have these, I can go listen to them and then get an idea of how the 260F would sound, knowing that the 260F sounds significantly better. But chances are more likely that these stores will have the 260F anyway, so great!

Found tons of stores in my country and now it's just a matter of calling them really. Which is a nice task for tomorrow. :)

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:06 AM, Moonwalker1982 said:

If I end up choosing Klipsch it will be the RP-260F, the 280F just isn't within my price range. From what I've read the RF-62II's and the RF-82II's are still highly regarded and if stores have these, I can go listen to them and then get an idea of how the 260F would sound, knowing that the 260F sounds significantly better. But chances are more likely that these stores will have the 260F anyway, so great!

Found tons of stores in my country and now it's just a matter of calling them really. Which is a nice task for tomorrow. :)

Will be interested to see which ones you end up landing with. Neat!

I wouldn’t call the difference between Reference Premier and the old Reference “significant”. Better, yes but not night and day difference like it sounds like you are expecting.

I bet the vast majority wouldn’t be able to tell the difference, with a properly calibrated system. 

Both are great!

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 8:06 AM, Moonwalker1982 said:

Another factor:

The Klipsch RP-260F is much more sensitive (efficient) than either the Elac, or the Revel M16.  The RP-260F has at least a 7 dB advantage over the both of them, probably more, depending on room position.  That means moving from either the Elac or the Revel to the Klipsch would be like going to an amplifier more than 4 times as powerful.  You would easily get cinema (THX) reference level (very brief peaks of 105 dB) with the Klipsch and your 80 w.p.c. amp in a room your size, but perhaps not with the other two speakers.

Be sure to select a subwoofer capable of about 118 dB SPL at 1 meter, or more, so that it will be able to gracefully produce 115 dB where you sit, because cinema reference level for a subwoofer at the main listening position is 115 dB.

In a way, it is good that your room is fairly small, and you sit close; you probably will have no problem if you get Klipsch.

• Like 1

OK--different designs

Personally--I like the sound of horns and the way they present music.

I have several speakers--one pair bigger than my Klipsch but I use my klipsch

for my mains because I like the Klipsch Sound.

It's a matter of taste. My other speakers are great speakers too but

they are not horn loaded. I have 2 different brands in my system

and it sounds awesome.

If your listening space is not a BIG room

you might be able to not get a sub yet and go for 

the model you want--Klipsch have a Big Sound.

I don't use a sub and really do not miss it.

1 hour ago, rebuy said:

I don't use a sub and really do not miss it.

@rebuy, is that for music or movies?  I agree with you for music.  Most music doesn't reach below the lower limit of the Synergy F20 towers, or the RP260Fs  But modern movie LFE often goes down to 20 Hz, and sometimes as low as 10 Hz.  Also, pipe organ music can go as low as 16 Hz.

Our Klipschorns can cause our pants legs to flap in the breeze (literally), but cannot seem to pick up the couch and move it the way our sub can during some movies.

The OP certainly need not buy a sub right away, as long as he knows he may well be missing the infernal bass machine in some movies.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, garyrc said:

@rebuy, is that for music or movies?  I agree with you for music.  Most music doesn't reach below the lower limit of the Synergy F20 towers, or the RP260Fs  But modern movie LFE often goes down to 20 Hz, and sometimes as low as 10 Hz.  Also, pipe organ music can go as low as 16 Hz.

Our Klipschorns can cause our pants legs to flap in the breeze (literally), but cannot seem to pick up the couch and move it the way our sub can during some movies.

The OP certainly need not buy a sub right away, as long as he knows he may well be missing the infernal bass machine in some movies.

For both music and movies I find that I have plenty of low frequency information.

Yeah, I know that certain low info is in movies and pipe organs but right now--I'm not missing it.

I have 4 towers in the room and the Polk towers dig lower than the Klipsch towers

and there is actually a lot of low frequency info in the surround mix.

In 99 % of anything I listen to, you'd think I had a sub running.

I have 12--- 6&1/2 Low/Mid drivers in my system and they sound pretty good.

If my space was larger---the situation would be different.

If the OP has a smaller area, he could give up the sub for now

and get better towers for a start.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1