Which center?

BigMikeSD

Hi fellow Klipsch fans!

Moving into a new place and upgrading the home theater in a piecemeal fashion. 

So far I've picked up the following.

L/R  R26F  

S  R10SW

AVR/PreAmp Marantz SR5012

Projector JVC-x570R

Looking really hard at the RC-62ii as the center. I realize it's not a perfect match for the R26f but I am thinking that I may upgrade those floor standers at a later date potentially to a pair of 280f.

Thoughts?

7 minutes ago, BigMikeSD said:

As a side I am investigating the possibility of replacing the screen material and going AT and picking up a 3rd R26F 

Way to go!  "Centers" are marketing hogwash ... the best and true center is an identical speaker to your L/R's. :D 

Cheers, Emile 

• Like 2

Looks like I will have to stick with a horizontal center so leaning to the RC-62ii. Logic being the vast majority of dialog etc will be coming from the center, eventually I will upgrade, and with the receiver I have I should be able to do a decent job of getting the tones in line with the R26F I have for L/R

• Like 1

My suggestion is always to get the best center you can afford.  I don't worry about "timbre matching" because 90% of movies is dialog and 90% of dialog is carried through the center speaker.  The RC-62 II is an excellent choice.

You might even want to go for an RC-64 if you can find one on the used market.  If you find one move fast, they are highly desirable and don't last long.

Welcome to the Klipsch Forums.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BigMikeSD said:

I'll keep my eyes peeled but will probably pull the trigger on the RC-62 this weekend. I've stepped up quite a bit from where I was but I'm really missing that center channel.

I am a big fan of dual mid-bass drivers in that 6"-7" size.  The real advantage of the even larger RC-64 is better off-axis response.  I feel the RC-62 II will do a great job for you.

Check with some of the other Klipschites to see if you can find a sale on them.  We also have a poster here who is a Klipsch dealer with a golden reputation for sales and service, and he's fast!  You might contact Cory directly and see what he can do for you.   @MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Like 2

I do not recommend picking a center based upon anything else besides what best fits the front 3 speakers.

Ideally they all match. If not, the matching center from the series is the right play.

Now, I can easily argue, as someone who had r28fs and a r25c that the rp250c sounds better than the r25c.

but I can also argue that the front speakers, if you get rf52s, rp250fs or pretty much most any other klipsch front speaker you will like the quality even more.

So to me the issue is more, what are you really going for?  if you want a recommendation for a great front 3 that doesn't break the bank, I and others have many suggestions.

If however you want to match your existing speakers, the r25c, which you can find super cheap used or inexpensive new, matches, and sounds nice.

You can get one for about $100 or so.