Standby on amp's affect on tube life ?

My new to me cary 45 amps have a standby feature which if used will keep the filaments in the tubes lit / powered, then switch to operate to the the plate or B what ever the heck they call it so one can listen I feel like standby is going to ware on the tubes shortening tube life. At today's Prices for 45 tubes that is something I definitely do not want to do.

Does anyone know if standby with tube filaments lit will shorten tube life ?

I would only use standby for short breaks from listening otherwise I would suggest turning the amplifier off otherwise between listening sessions for maximum tube life. The standby switch is mostly there to give the output tube filament time to warm up before B+ is applied for full operation of the amplifier. Think of it as a kind of soft start for the output tube.

miketn

From a Cary CAD2A3 SE manual

E79CFCAA-D186-4005-B52F-ADA7FC99F305.thumb.jpeg.2d31679b18d7c28dd68ddf85b3bddf06.jpeg

• Like 1

Guest wdecho

Filament burnout is the biggest cause of tube failure much as an incandescent light bulb, much the same thing. Others have gave good advice but what I want to hear about is your impression and review of the amplifier. I own a SE 45 tube amplifier and it is by far the cleanest clearest vocal singer in the room experience of all the tube amplifiers I own. There are plenty of the old 45 tubes for sale on Ebay at decent prices. I picked up 6 of them for around $30 apiece or less. They were so well made back in the day that they last a long time. Give some of them a try, you may like the sound better over the new ones being produced today. The tubes were very common in radios of old and many were made. 

Joe,

The advice above is correct I have a Korneff 45 amp, and I use the stand by just to let the tubes warm up a minute before applying full B+ voltage. I have also tried alot of different 45 tube brands NOS and new production, nothing is even close to the EML Solid Plate 45's!!!

Joe, my old BBX had a standby mode. Mark D told me to use it if I was coming back later in the same day (lunch break, running to the store) to listen to music or to warm things up if I knew I was going to do some listening in the near future and wanted them ready to go. IIRC, he said turn them off when done for the day. I've also been told if they are on they are like a light bulb and wearing down little by little.

Thank you guys for the replys, I had planned a listening session last evening but mother nature had her own ideas. We lost electric for 3 hours by the time it came back on I was not in the mood to wait for warm up etc... Hoping for time tonight

Initial impressions is they are very good, the tubes I got with the amps are sofia mesh, winged C 5u3 Rectafier, and Electro Harmonix 6sn7. 

More to come tonight I hope :)