Forbes Vinyl Article

Travis In Austin

• Moderators

Not surprising, I would guess it's far from ending.

From memory, nothing sounds like a good LP, except a good RTR tape. I had all my LP's on RTR and I couldn't hear a difference, some of the pre recorded RTR tapes I was able to find were usually not as good for some reason..

Not getting back into either at this point, but glad to see any upward movement in caring about sound quality. Even if some people buying is just doing it for the new coolness of an LP.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Yes, CD's, DVD's and streaming, I don't do vinyl or tape anymore because about 30 years ago I was stupid. I gave a relative 2 turntables and all my LP's, plus a Akai RTR with a Sansui 8080, yes it was stupid.

I have all the CD's on my Ipad and phone copied with the best quality the computer could do. It's all the phone is used for, no service but works great as a modern small music player that also has wifi for Pandora and Spotify. I use the Ipod the same way and for streaming outside in the bar with Heresy's. 

Inside I use the BR player to stream music which is what we listen to most of the time as it's playing all day. Also cd, dvd dvd-a and super audio disc, I only have a few of the last type since they were harder to find and went out like betamax.

Half the reason I stream even knowing I am not getting the best quality is because I am tired of change. Plus I can use what would be a warehouse full of music using no space. 

I say tired of change because of the changes over the years, my changes although almost always for the better, some were terrible. After buying what I liked, then switching over and over it gets old, I never even finished collecting all the music i once had onto cd format before giving up or couldn't find.

8 tracks

cassettes

Lp's 

RTR

cd's

dvd's

SACD..........very few

DVD-a.........very few

streaming      

• Like 3

7 hours ago, dtel said:

I say tired of change because of the changes over the years, my changes although almost always for the better, some were terrible. After buying what I liked, then switching over and over it gets old, I never even finished collecting all the music i once had onto cd format before giving up or couldn't find.

8 tracks

cassettes

Lp's 

RTR

cd's

dvd's

SACD..........very few

DVD-a.........very few

streaming     

I'm there with you except I still listen to a lot of DVD-As and SACDs along with Blu-rays. That said, it appears I was correct back in 2005 about streaming but Blu-ray's demise is still some time off. ;) 

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2005 at 6:07 AM, Zen Traveler said:

I prefer multichannel media to 2 channel. My HT collection is composed of 5.1 DVD Movies, concerts videos,(and well made music videos, along with some duds;-) and muti channel music (50/50 sacd's DVD-A), in that order. I am fortunate that I have an "isolation booth" [;)] that is superb for that media. It would be hard to find (if not impossible) a 2 channel setup to compare for my needs, in my room.

I was not using Bestbuy as a gage of quality as much as a barometer of public demand. If you perused bestbuy or Walmart and saw rows of SACD's and DVD-A's, there would be no need for this thread. If the common denominator is people willing to buy 5 (or more speakers) for a medium that required yet another specialized machine to play limited material, (that was never really pushed in the mainstream), then I don't see multichannel music without video going anywhere. I don't think the major players are going to come together and support it. Too many other areas to concentrate for bigger profits.

IMHO, the clarity of what little material that is available on mulitchannel is awesome, but I don't see reason for optimism for those of us that like our entertainment experience coming at us from all sides. [:|]

FWIW, I also agree with what is happening in the "HD disk" arena. I however, think both formats are going to loose out to ala cart programing (i.e., Satellite, Cable, phone lines, etc.) for movies. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Zen Traveler said:

I'm there with you except I still listen to a lot of DVD-As and SACDs along with Blu-rays. That said, it appears I was correct back in 2005 about streaming but Blu-ray's demise is still some time off. ;) 

I have only a very few DVD-A's and SCAD's but would like to get more DVD or BR concert videos. Problem I have is I have a hard time finding something I would like, I have 58 now but would like to get more before they go extinct.

I have to say for general listening during the day while everything else is going on I am getting spoiled with streaming. It's easy to have plenty of music, a few times a day I have to press a button to say, Yes I'm still listening, or to change one of the many channels made. 

• Like 1