La Scala Mods

ajsons

Next I measured the angle between the two faces with a sliding bevel gauge.

Verified the correct angle (31.6 degrees).

This matches up nicely with the front piece at the correct angle with 125 degrees between them in the horizontal plane.

Cheers,

Josh

3878BBB2-9830-4778-8AA5-F158A99F5134.jpeg

Referring to pieces 2, 3, and 4 in the original University drawing; wouldn't it be easier to make them all perpendicular to the base piece 5, and then add a solid wedge reflector at the correct angle? That's how Klipsch does it, except that Klipsch splits the path two ways instead of just one.

5 hours ago, Edgar said:

Referring to pieces 2, 3, and 4 in the original University drawing; wouldn't it be easier to make them all perpendicular to the base piece 5, and then add a solid wedge reflector at the correct angle? That's how Klipsch does it, except that Klipsch splits the path two ways instead of just one.

Parts 3 and 4 are perpendicular to the base already. Part 2 slants toward the front. If you make them all vertical, then you will have to cut angles on the sold wedge, or not worry too much and caulk where you didn't make it fit.

Once these angles are known, it will be easier to make.

I was also getting confused with the two side pieces and getting  the compound angle correct, but it looks like Josh has it figured out. (one of the newer sets  of plans from University has all the edges mitered for the throat, which must have been a bear to cut and get together.

1 hour ago, Marvel said:

I was also getting confused with the two side pieces and getting  the compound angle correct, but it looks like Josh has it figured out. (one of the newer sets  of plans from University has all the edges mitered for the throat, which must have been a bear to cut and get together.

There you go, Bruce.  Time to see some sawdust. 

Amazing thread. Had been curious about this cabinet for a while so I'm super grateful for ajsons and the other contributor's for demistifying those sketchy old plans.

Although I'm sure twin evm12ls would be pretty spectacular, that runs me about £1000.00 in the u.k.

Any other driver recommendations?
Wondering if the eminence kappa 15c that Claude recommends for his quarter pie is suitable *

Or for a few dollars more -> http://www.precision-devices.com/Product-Details/PD153ER ?

Thanks

(* That's another cab I'm wanting to try out if it'll fit well enough in my small room )

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk