La Scala Mods

ajsons

2 hours ago, ajsons said:

Where did you get those cones? And you used the last four? You and your "friend" like to blow them up? (LOL!)

You need to find another "friend"!

I'm keeping my spares.

At one time, I think you could get them reconed at Great Plains Audio, I might be wrong. Their website is down right now.

I SWEAR IT WAS A BAD SOLDER JOINT ON MY AMP INPUT! (lol) 

I don't think Bill at great plains audio has anymore cones. I got lucky that a speaker repair place had what they told me firmly was the last 4 they had. I'm the one that got them for Planetred. They sure do look like stock but came glued to a very lightweight accordion surround not the integral paper of the cone. No spiders or voice coils.

• Haha 1

However, I haven’t gone over the rest of the measurements on the Jeff Robinson drawing.

In my mind, if I were going to draw up plans based on say the ones in the Cohen article, it would make sense to start with the very obvious known measurements.

Such as,

1. The overall size of the box

2. The known angles, 35, 24, 30, and 6 degrees.

3. The 4” square at the rear sides.

4. The size of the motor board.

From these known measurements, the rest of the measurements could be quickly discovered.

I might post a quick screen capture video or two of what I’m talking about.

I can also show how I would verify that a drawing of the side pieces matches the mathematically correct angles from the compound angles calculator.

Cheers,

Josh - who has been spending way too much time thinking about this speaker cabinet this past week.

19 hours ago, ajsons said:

Aaron,

Are you still using the University C-15HC? What do you think of it?

There's one for sale on Craigslist in Tampa for sixty bucks, in excellent condition.

If you say it's good, I'm going to buy it.

I wasn't able to save the pictures of your build.  We need to see some of them.

I no longer am using the C-15HC. I'm using the C15W. The HC though efficient and "special" in its own way doesn't go high enough or doesn't have enough "voice" but goes much lower It's been a while since we A+B them free air next to each other but the HC is a no go for the classic. If there's a special project $60 is a great price but IDK what that would be, maybe a VOTT A4?
If you get close to NJ/NYC let me know.

2 hours ago, Invidiosulus said:

However, I haven’t gone over the rest of the measurements on the Jeff Robinson drawing.

In my mind, if I were going to draw up plans based on say the ones in the Cohen article, it would make sense to start with the very obvious known measurements.

Such as,

1. The overall size of the box

2. The known angles, 35, 24, 30, and 6 degrees.

3. The 4” square at the rear sides.

4. The size of the motor board.

From these known measurements, the rest of the measurements could be quickly discovered.

I might post a quick screen capture video or two of what I’m talking about.

I can also show how I would verify that a drawing of the side pieces matches the mathematically correct angles from the compound angles calculator.

Cheers,

Josh - who has been spending way too much time thinking about this speaker cabinet this past week.

Why will you do that, when I already did those? The drawings that I presented here were based on the official factory plan I got from University itself, and my Classic, factory made, matched those dimensions.  The measurements are already here, already discovered.

What are you trying to prove?

14 hours ago, ajsons said:

Why will you do that, when I already did those? The drawings that I presented here were based on the official factory plan I got from University itself, and my Classic, factory made, matched those dimensions.  The measurements are already here, already discovered.

What are you trying to prove?

Because out of the four different versions that you have shared/posted, none of them match up correctly with themselves.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11 hours ago, ajsons said:

I know a good substitute is the Electrovoice EVM-15L, a lead guitar speaker. Check the used market, or ebay. Also check Craigslist.

From what other owners are saying, none is like the C-15W. Although the EVM comes pretty close.

Anybody try the EV dl15x? Supposedly a good replacement for the c15w. I see lots floating around.

Just out of curiosity , what is it about the c15w spec wise that isn't available in other drivers ? Or is it just a case that they hit on something magical with their formula for it?

Is the evm15l still in production? Evm12 seems available here ( europe ) but only crusty looking used p.a 15l's :s

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

Folks, we're dealing with wavelengths between 2 and 22 feet. A fraction of an inch here or there isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference in the response. Find a set of plans that is self-consistent (i.e., all of the angles and edges line up with each other and meet where they're supposed to meet) and build it. It'll be fine.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1